1,088 of 1,118 people found the following review helpful
First of all, I must disclose that I work in the Healthcare/ Dental industry. I encounter a lot people everyday who need to floss more or wish flossing was easier, including myself. It should be noted that this is not a form of advice in any way or matter, the opinions here are just my personal thoughts on the device.

Gums, bleeding and Flossing
gums bleed...
Published on September 28, 2011 by H. Safi

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a replacement for flossing
Published on August 11, 2011 by James Pine

1,088 of 1,118 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A great and very effective way for those who should floss more., September 28, 2011
H. Safi (Saint Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX8111/02 Airfloss, Rechargeable Electric Flosser (Health and Beauty)

Gums, bleeding and Flossing
gums bleed if bacteria grows in the form of plaque on your teeth. Bacteria uses calcium from you saliva to form plaque. Plaque/Calculus form on all surfaces of the teeth and is easily removed by brushing. The problem is with plaque that forms under the gum and in between the teeth. Your body tries to kill the bacteria by pumping more blood to the gums to fight it (inflammation) and thus gums bleed.
Compared to other oral irrigation devices:
I have used the Waterpik for a couple of years and was a little skeptical when I first used the Sonicare. As apposed to the Waterpik, the Sonicare air flosser uses interrupted air/water mist to clean between the teeth. Waterpik uses a continuous jet stream. I was skeptical because the reservoir in the waterpik is 210ml and the air flosser holds about a table spoon full. More about that later.
How it works:
The concept is that if you push water hard enough through the spaces between teeth the water stream will carry with it any food or debris that are stuck there and thus less food for the bacteria to grow on. There is a major difference between that and brushing/flossing. When you floss or brush, you interrupt the formation of plaque. So no the air flosser will not remove plaque. Here is where the air flosser will work, the more food you have between your teeth, the more resources the bacteria will have to form plaque and calculus. by using the air flosser you slow down this process.
How to use:
I use a mouth wash to fill it up instead of water in the hope that some of that will be retained between my teeth and kill bacteria that is growing there.
you take the tip and fit it interproximally between 2 teeth from the outside (labial: lip side) and activate, move to the next 2 teeth and repeat until you do the whole mouth. I activate the water jet twice for every space from the lip side and once from the tongue side (lingual). sonicare does not recommend this because they are afraid that you might over do it and damage your gums. I dont advocate it either so do at your own risk. I just dont feel one pump will remove everything. Now this is a problem for me because I find I have to fill up the reservoir 2 or 3 times to do the whole mouth.
Many people complain that it makes a mess, but with time it will become easy, just keep your mouth closed.
Who is it and is it not for:
If you use floss and do it regularly then this is not for you. what you are doing is way better habit.
If you have tight contacts, you know because when you eat meat nothing sticks between your teeth, this is not for you.
Now if you have wide contacts, and you know because you cant eat a taco without reaching for anything to clean between your teeth, then this is for you.
If you tried flossing and you really cant get yourself to do it no matter what, then this is for you and way better than nothing.
If your gums bleed every time you brush or floss then pushing some of that mouthwash in there might actually help by reducing the number of bacteria and the food available for it to grow.
When you go to your dentist and get a deep cleaning, the dentist uses a sonic instrument to disrupt the plaque and to break it down. This is ultimately what you need if your gums bleed. once the plaque is gone and you floss/brush/air floss, the formation of plaque is inhibited and your gums live happy, bacteria free.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a replacement for flossing, August 11, 2011
James Pine (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The product literature claims that this product "Removes 99% more plaque biofilm between teeth than brushing with manual toothbrush alone" and "Gently and effectively helps improve interproximal gum health in just two weeks". While those may well be true, they don't mention how much better or worse it is when compared to flossing, so I decided to try it myself. After getting used to the Airfloss for a week such that I was no longer causing water to spray all over the mirror and counter top; I brushed my teeth, used the Airfloss and then flossed afterwards. The result was the floss still removed a significant amount of food particles. I'm guessing the majority of it came from between the teeth as opposed to between the teeth and gums.

Admittedly, I've been told by my dentist that I have "tight contact" between my molars so your experience may be different. However, I tried this experiment on several different occasions after having had a variety of meals throughout the day (meats, vegetables, popcorn, etc.) and on every occasion the Airfloss just didn't seem to do a complete job.

With all types of floss and flossers out there that make it easy to reach the back teeth, get around braces and other dental hardware e.g. Gum Soft Picks I don't see any reason to spend so much money on something that doesn't work as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 2 Years of Use - Excellent Checkups, July 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Airfloss could turn you into a drool monster, or Dracula. Or, it could just do a great job of cleaning between your teeth. I'm banking on the latter. (After nearly 2 years of use and some of the best checkups I've ever had, I am a true believer in this device, Jan. 10, 2013 update)

I like this product. The gadget aspect of it is nice. The handle is about the diameter of two Sonicare toothbrushes, it's pretty big, but feels really good in my hand. My teeth felt like I had been to the dentist for a cleaning. The airfloss does power through built up food nicely. I didn't floss for a few days, and all the spices, little bits of food, and Wonder White bread stuck between my teeth came right out. I can reach to the back of my mouth really easily, those molars tend to never get a flossing, they will now.

Update January 10, 2013: Sadness, the handle stopped working. I called Philips and they are sending me a brand new handle. Turns out this has a 2 year warranty for any defects. This is way beyond my expectations. The customer support person talked me through troubleshooting to be sure the handle was malfunctioning. Once he determined the unit was broken, I was on hold for a few minutes, and a brand new handle is on its way. Included in the replacement is a return shipping label. This is by far the best warranty service I have ever witnessed. He simply needed a serial number and there were absolutely no questions asked to replace it.

Two dentist visits between my last update. The first was excellent, no gum bleeding, very healthy and my dentist was impressed. The most recent visit wasn't as good, I slacked off using the Airfloss and it showed. It is important for me to use this twice a day, and I was skipping days. Yes I got a stern talking to by my dentist and hygenist (I deserved it).

People can debate that this is not a replacement for flossing. That's fine. But in my hands, this thing is so much better than flossing - I hate flossing. Yes I hate flossing more than anybody can imagine and I won't do it regularly. I use this thing twice a day and am happy using ing. Theory and practice are two very different things. Nearly two years of use proves that to me.

December 1, 2011 Dentist Visit Update: This is one of the best dental appointments I have ever had. My experience with the Airfloss is outstanding. I started using this device the day of my last check up six months ago. I have used it religiously for the past 6 months, and today is the day I got the results of using this. There is absolutely no question about it, my mouth and teeth are much healthier than they have ever been. Normally my gums show some bleeding during the cleaning, and they are usually somewhat red. Today, they were healthy and pink, with very little bleeding. The hygienist normally spends a long time scraping my teeth, today she spent maybe half the time. Both my dentist and hygienist said the device works and are happy with how much better my gums and teeth look - they will begin recommending it to their patients. This is my personal experience with the Airfloss. I have a lot of trouble flossing or even remembering to floss (actually I pretty much hate flossing), I have no problem brushing my teeth twice a day. Adding this 15 second step to my routine, and I can get a great check up - I'm totally sold.

August 26, 2011 Update: My teeth have never felt cleaner now that I use this at least daily, sometimes twice per day. As I said below, I travel with this I love it that much. A note for those of you that have closely spaced teeth. My wife has trouble finding floss that will fit between her teeth - this device does not work for her. I've never had trouble getting floss between my teeth, so I must be an ideal candidate. If you have very closely spaced teeth (you probably know if you do), you might want to pass on the Airfloss.

July 12, 2012 Update: Some of the other reviews of this product and comments have complained that this is not ADA approved, and that water piks are their favorite thing to use because they are reliable. The ADA has never approved a water pik - they are not ADA approved. In fact no electric dental gadget has been approved by them. So the ADA mark is nice, but missing that approval does not mean a device is a bad device.

The orginal review:

I'm not a huge fan of the reservoir cover; it doesn't close with a snap that would reassure me it is closed. Not every single speck of food was removed in one pass. I can see that using this every day, between my teeth will be cleaner. Sometimes it's hard to get the little head lined up exactly right, either getting a shot of water in my mouth, on the mirror, or misfiring (the little tip was plugged by my teeth and nothing came out).

My gums did bleed a little the first use, but they also do that when I don't floss for a few days. The bleeding stopped after the third day. I wasn't dripping blood from my mouth like Dracula; it was that redness right around the gum line.

There is no ADA (American Dental Association) certificate on this device. That certificate would be nice. This is a very new product. It just happened that the day after I received this, I had a dentist appointment. My dentist is pretty aware of the latest teeth cleaning devices (he actually had a Sonicare toothbrush a good long while before they were available in the store), he had never heard of this. This isn't a dentist's approval of the Airfloss, but he did say it looked like a really good idea. And anything that would encourage people to floss more is a good thing.

January 4, 2012 Update: A little clarification on the ADA - I visited their site and looked over what products have ADA seal of approval. Would it surprise you to know that not a single electric toothbrush, or water pic has their seal of approval? In fact nothing with an electric cord has their seal of approval. I have no experience with this organization, how they approve products, or their rules for what to accept for testing, but it appears to me this device, along with all the other electric dental products, will not get their seal of approval. Not because they are bad products, but because the ADA just doesn't do that, plain and simple.

A lot of different people could use the Airfloss: People with big hands that find flossing the rear teeth difficult. People with a disability where a caregiver needs to floss for them, or have difficulty holding floss with two hands for themselves. Or people that want to be encouraged to floss more often.

I have had a Philips Sonicare toothbrush for around three years. That toothbrush takes a lot of getting used to, getting over the crazy tickling on my teeth, avoid spraying toothpaste all over the room, and getting over the annoying noise.
Like the Sonicare toothbrush, the Airfloss takes some practice. My first few times around I managed to drool all over my shirt and completely wash down the bathroom mirror. Of course some of you will be more mechanically inclined and figure out how to avoid the drool bath and mirror cleaning. The secret is to hold your lower lip up, and make sure the little head is seated between your teeth and not on an angle. It's also important to hold the unit with the tip up.

The device is incredibly simple. It is basically a liquid reservoir and a pump that fires a shot of water and air out the little tip. Pressing on the big green button at the top of the white handle, starts off a winding up noise, a deep click, and a puff. At the base there is a rubber sealed on / off switch. The charger looks like a small hockey puck. Like the Sonicare toothbrush, charging is by induction, meaning there are no electrical contacts.

The liquid reservoir holds about a tablespoon and is supposed to be good for two uses. I actually have to refill mine for a lap around my mouth, maybe I have way more teeth than the average bear. The instructions allow for water or mouthwash in the reservoir. I like the idea of mouthwash; it feels really great in my mouth. Mouthwash can form a hard residue, and that could plug up the machine.

It's hard to say if sharing this device is a good or bad idea. The tip is solid plastic and shiny, there are no bristles at all on it. A little rinse off with mouthwash should clean the tip off for somebody else to use. Well you know, for your significant other, not a community thing for strangers. The tip is really hard to remove, I wouldn't want to constantly snap it off and snap on another tip.

Philips recommends changing the tip every six months. Hard for me to see exactly what could go wrong with the tip. But they are really inexpensive (around nine dollars for a pair Philips Sonicare HX8002/60 Airfloss Replacement NOuncezles, 2 Count).

One charge is supposed to last about two weeks. The unit is fully charged overnight.

The instruction manual is very nice. They even include instructions on how to dispose of the unit when it has expired and you no longer need it. About four times they repeat that this procedure will destroy the unit. The pictures are to wrap the unit in a cloth, smash it with a hammer, and remove the battery. The smashed bits can be tossed in the trash, and the battery should be recycled. This is a new one for me; I've never seen a company that recommends smashing their device with a hammer to remove the battery. Pretty cool Philips.

This is a million times better than a water pik. The Airfloss is a puff between the teeth, a water pik is like a squirt gun all over the place. And there's that nasty hose with the water pik.

I'm so guilty of not flossing, and know I should floss more often. During one six month period, I flossed every night and used mouthwash, that dentist appointment was quick and easy - almost no scraping necessary. The rest of the time, my dentist reminds me to floss more. This gadget just might get me to floss every night now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not quite as good as expected., August 19, 2011
I love my sonicare toothbrush and was very excited to see this product. I have very good teeth in general, but always get flack from my dentist about not flossing. I brush with my sonicare twice a day but I am a very sporadic flosser at best (1-3 times/month max.). I know I should floss, but just find it to be such a hassle.

I've been using the Airfloss for a week now --- typically twice a day. Here are my thoughts thus far:

1. The directions indicate to give it one shot between each tooth. This was not effective for me. I follwed it with floss and the floss removed a LOT of particles left behind by the airflosser. However, if I spray it 3 times between each tooth, it actually does a pretty good job of getting out most of the food particles. Its still not 100%, but it is very good and much better for me than not flossing at all. The downside is that you definitely will have to refill the reservoir at least once when using. I have pretty tight gaps between my teeth which likely has some effect on the performance.

2. In general it is very user friendly, however it will take a little getting used to to get the head lined up between the teeth. If its lined up right, you can feel the burst come between the teeth and hit your tounge. If its not quite right you can get a little splash or if its completely blocked it doesn't spray at all. I'm getting the swing of it. If you don't get the spray right, it doesn't clean well.

3. It's not quite as neat as I would have liked. I get a bit of dribble, but no where near the mess of a waterpik.

4. Works well with both mouth rinse and water. Whether shooting the stuff between your teeth has more benefit than just rinsing your mouth when done, I don't know.

Overall, I like it. I will continue using it. After 1 week I see a difference in my teeth. They look and feel much cleaner. I see huge potential benefits for people who do not floss or are sporadic flossers like me. If you are a habitual flosser now, you are probably already getting a better cleaning than this gadget will give you.

I'm giving it 3 stars because I think it performed well, but not as well as advertised.

I add another review after I've been using it a while longer. My next Dentist cleaning is still about 4 months off, so that will be a good test to see how my cleaning goes after using it for a while. I'll be sure to report back.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new periodontal aid, March 16, 2012
On the recommendation of my hygienist I received my new Phillips AirFlosser from Amazon & about 2 weeks later went for a Dental Prophylaxis.There was a significant reduction in bleeding points Compared to my previous visit and several places where I had 3-4-5 mm pockets had already shrunk by 1 or 2 mm.
I would rate this Phillips product to be one of the more useful periodontal aids in a long time.
Alan Arbee
Retired Prosthodontist
Graduate of Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine
& Tufts University Graduate (2 year) Prosthodontics

3.0 out of 5 stars My Solution, September 23, 2011
David Hurt (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I fill mine with vodka. That way, you kill two birds with one stone. Plus, it encourages frequent Airflossing, and my gums have never felt so clean. I also seem to be a lot happier these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got compliment from dental hygienist, October 1, 2012
I've used this product now for just over six months and its great. I do not have great teeth I'm cavity and plaque prone and haven't gotten a truly positive review from a dental hygienist in my adult life. Part of that is almost certainly my fault I brush well, but can't bring myself to floss regularly.

I blame large hands, a small mouth, sensitive gums, pretty much whatever I can to get the hygienist to stop berating me for my gums that bleed when you he or she pokes them with a metal hook..but I digress.

I tried this product after reading a study on PubMed (scientific publication site) that saw evidence that oral irrigation was nearly as good as flossing for gum health. I didn't want a large oral irrigator sitting on the bathroom sink and this seemed to fit. Not only does it lack the giant water tank that many water flossers have, but its beautiful. If apple got into the business of sonic flossers this is what they would make.

It uses the same base as my sonicare toothbrush which is great because I can limit cords around the sink.
It's quick I can get through my entire mouth in under a minute (compared to 3+ uncomfortable minutes of flossing)
It's painless (never had any bleeding gums or really any discomfort)
Its easy (although you I did occasionally experience a misfire, with the tank size enough for two trips around my mouth, theres always enough mouthwash or water to take another shot)
AND THE HYGENIEST DIDN'T EVEN ASK, SHE TOLD ME I MUST BE FLOSSING. Her surprise was worth the purchase price hands down. She just told me to keep doing what I'm doing.

If you hate flossing, but want to take better care of yourself this might just be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 days in with amazing results, September 2, 2011
With the understanding that everyones experience will be different--for myself, this product is AMAZING! After 2 days I have noticed HUGE change--and already, plaque buildup is being blasted away. I also use an electric toothbrush--and the first time I used that I thought my teeth felt so clean. Now, with the Airfloss, it's that feeling all over again, but magnified.

For me, I think it does replace flossing--there is no remaining food particles after I use it--but again, this could just be personal experience.

As for those who say it does not deliver enough power, perhaps the reservoir or battery is low--mine blasts with power each time. And as far as stray particles stuck in a tooth--redirection of the nozzle and a blast does the job.

For those who think having to click the device each time is time consuming....it takes about a minute to do your whole mouth. It's not annoying at all, and WAY less messy than a water pick.

Overall, I think this is worth every penny and has been one of the best purchases I've made in a long while.

1.0 out of 5 stars STOPPED WORKING after 5 weeks., February 13, 2012
J "JZ" (United States) - See all my reviews
Airfloss stopped working after 5 weeks. Am waiting for a replacement. This is an expensive product to stop working after such little use. Time-consuming to call customer service to replace. Make sure you get a warranty with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, December 3, 2011
Ed LANMan (South Jersey) - See all my reviews
I use the Sonicare FlexCare Plus for brushing and thought there might be some synergy with the Airfloss.

So I tried the Airfloss twice a day for three weeks. It was a waste of time; it hardly cleans between the teeth and does not get under the gum-line...repeat, it does NOT get under the gum-line. If you're not cleaning under the gum-line, then you're skipping an essential step in oral hygiene. I can only imagine the bacteria build-up for those who rely solely on an Airfloss for what it might possibly clean between teeth.

After the third day I went back to using my Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser as well as the Airfloss. The Waterpik consistently found what the Airfloss left behind.

My dental hygienist has been using oral irrigation for cleaning for several years and finally convinced me to get the Waterpik last year. I think most modern dental offices use oral irrigation. The Airfloss feels nothing like the oral irrigation that a hygienist uses.

I had thought the Airfloss might be good for travel but I'll buy a Waterpik Cordless for travel and stick with my Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser for home use; since I've had the Waterpik, my semi-annual exams went from very good to excellent.

Note: When I switched to the Waterpik, I followed up with string floss just to make sure the Waterpik was working as advertised. I stopped using string floss after a week or so. I do bring string floss with me when I travel. And I'm one of those people you might see flossing in a restaurant restroom.

If your choices are never flossing (string or irrigation) and the Airfloss, then go with the Airfloss.

Fortunately I was able to return the Airfloss for a complete refund.

Rate and Discover Movies