Top critical review
14 people found this helpful
Cons: Wi-Fi Signal, Speaker Length, Remote Response Time
on February 12, 2014
Bought 2 of these during black friday at Wal-mart 2 years ago, so for the price I was excited. It works well enough and sounds MUCH better than the standard TV, but see my list of gripes:
1. Wi-fi signal is so weak that I am not able to use it to connect to Netflix or anything else. However, the Wii sitting right next to it is able to connect to our wi-fi signal, as well as my computer and phone.
2. The speaker length for the center speaker is extremely short and barely makes it out the back of my entertainment center on to the top in front of the TV.
3. The remote lag time is very frustrating, so if you have anxiety it will send you through the roof. There is an audio source button on the remote that you push to shuffle through the different outputs (coax, aux and so forth) and I have to push the button 2 or 3 times before it moves onto the next.
4. Unless I'm not seeing it there is no menu button to take you straight to the menu of a DVD. I've tried Top Menu but it restarts the DVD over again. So I have to skip through the previews when a DVD allows me too.
5. Only 1 HDMI port, so I have to hook up my cable box to it with the old fashion 3 prong cables to get the sound to travel since I have the only HDMI cord running from this DVD player to my TV.
6. Did I already say Wi-Fi?!?!?!? Since I do not have a 3D TV it basically makes this unit obsolete with the exception og the speakers.
1. 3D playback (though I have not been able to test it without a 3D TV
3. DVD playback has been great
2. Volume for me is fine. I have adjusted it in the settings panel, but I'm also not in a huge home. This would not be adequate for a larger home. I would suggest upgrading to something else maybe like Sonos!
I wouldn't pay the asking price on here, but for what I paid on black friday I'll deal and just buy a wi-fi adapter for my TV since it's not wi-fi enabled and hope that adapter will allow me to connect to Netflix though I shouldn't have to when I already bought a wi-fi enabled dvd player. **I did take the dvd player out from inside the caibnet and even sat it on top on the unit near the window right by where the router downstairs in the window is located, but still nothing.