Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on bgg

on September 26, 2012
The sound quality is not very good, has to much distortion. To watch a movie i have to turn the volume all the way up. Listening to music isn't much better, not enough power.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
Bought 2 of these during black friday at Wal-mart 2 years ago, so for the price I was excited. It works well enough and sounds MUCH better than the standard TV, but see my list of gripes:

1. Wi-fi signal is so weak that I am not able to use it to connect to Netflix or anything else. However, the Wii sitting right next to it is able to connect to our wi-fi signal, as well as my computer and phone.

2. The speaker length for the center speaker is extremely short and barely makes it out the back of my entertainment center on to the top in front of the TV.

3. The remote lag time is very frustrating, so if you have anxiety it will send you through the roof. There is an audio source button on the remote that you push to shuffle through the different outputs (coax, aux and so forth) and I have to push the button 2 or 3 times before it moves onto the next.

4. Unless I'm not seeing it there is no menu button to take you straight to the menu of a DVD. I've tried Top Menu but it restarts the DVD over again. So I have to skip through the previews when a DVD allows me too.

5. Only 1 HDMI port, so I have to hook up my cable box to it with the old fashion 3 prong cables to get the sound to travel since I have the only HDMI cord running from this DVD player to my TV.

6. Did I already say Wi-Fi?!?!?!? Since I do not have a 3D TV it basically makes this unit obsolete with the exception og the speakers.

1. 3D playback (though I have not been able to test it without a 3D TV

3. DVD playback has been great

2. Volume for me is fine. I have adjusted it in the settings panel, but I'm also not in a huge home. This would not be adequate for a larger home. I would suggest upgrading to something else maybe like Sonos!

I wouldn't pay the asking price on here, but for what I paid on black friday I'll deal and just buy a wi-fi adapter for my TV since it's not wi-fi enabled and hope that adapter will allow me to connect to Netflix though I shouldn't have to when I already bought a wi-fi enabled dvd player. **I did take the dvd player out from inside the caibnet and even sat it on top on the unit near the window right by where the router downstairs in the window is located, but still nothing.
on July 25, 2012
For pure value, the 3541/F7 can't be beat. If you're expecting a room-shaking surround experience, perhaps you'd better upgrade, but ours is set up as a soundbar spread across the TV stand and it fills up our average-size living room beautifully. Dialogue is clear, and so is music. I use classical music to test -- pop sounds good on anything. Plus, the number of features on this is incredible: ARC/CEC HDMI, FM tuner, and 3D Blu-Ray (the plain 3541 without the F7 is not a 3D unit). Very pleased.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
I purchased this to go along with my new Vizio 47" 3D TV. It was on sale for $129 before Christmas which is more reasonable than the current $165 price. This unit does what is says it will do fine but nothing more. It has a cheap feel to it. The on screen display is very basic augmented by a small rolling led display on the unit for status. Smart Wi-Fi apps few and basic.

Speakers are hard wired at the speaker, have very short cables especially for the rear speakers and have a plug on the end of the very thin/cheap speaker wire to attach to the unit. To extend the length of the speaker I had to cut the wire in the middle - put new wire in and make two splices instead of one. Only other alternative was to order plugs for one splice OR plugs and opening speakers and replace the entire wire.

The units description or its online manual did not specify IF the unit supported two way audio via the HDMI cable. I purchased a new HDMI cable that supported this function BUT the Philips unit does NOT support this. So to get 5.1 surround sound when watching a show on cable or Wi-Fi via the TV I bought an optical audio cable.

That works fine when watching the TV from cable, etc. The Philips is switched to that input and plays fine. BUT when watching a DVD sound from the TV and the Philips are not in sync and produces a reverb or echo effect. I have to turn off the sound on the TV.

Sound is fair to good but you don't get the full effect I've heard with better systems. At the $129 I paid for it I might consider buying it again to stay in budget (I don't use it that much). At the current $165 I would look elsewhere for a better deal.
on December 5, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this hardware. The people claiming that cables are hard-wired on have outdated information or they're confused in some other way. Every speaker wire terminates with a plug. The people claiming that it's not loud enough are spending too much time with their low-rider's sub-woofers. I agree that the speaker wires here are too short. Come on, guys; how much can five more feet of thin wire really cost? Also, the lack of speaker grills makes these _highly_ susceptible to speaker damage from normal household activities. Netflix not only works from this box, but it plays well. It's almost always max resolution and I have not seen it stop to buffer even once. I don't know how that is happening, but that's the truth. The Netflix menus, however, are seriously truncated and *very* slow to respond to remote commands. I think a software update by thumb drive _might_ take care of the old, truncated Netflix GUI. No software updates are automatically found by the networked box, however. When I ordered refurbished, one speaker arrived damaged and buzzed, so I'm missing the center speaker now. Otherwise, this system has some great value and surprisingly lush features. Buy it new if you buy it at all.
on May 4, 2014
As a proud former employee of Philips, I am ashamed the good name is tarnished by this POS. I'm going to donate it to goodwill.
It is slow, it is buggy, how many watts output? sounds like 2W.
Don't even consider this product. Thank you outsourcing.
on February 20, 2015
Purchased this DVD system about a year and a half ago on Black Friday (2013). At the time I'm writing this review it's February 2015. This system sat in it's box until Feb 2014 (I purchased this as a gift to myself for my new house - moved in late February) so it's only been being used for 1 year.

- No longer plays blu-ray movies. I've tried roughly about 10 blu-ray discs in the machine this year (2015) and it won't read them. It will play the previews and that's it. When it's suppose to go to the menu to play, it has a 'disc error' and goes completely out of the dvd. Then the dvd player will usually show 'No Disc' even though the disc is still in the player. It plays regular dvds just fine.
on September 24, 2014
Very good equipment, good sound quality and so far I have not found an audio or video format that can not read nor usb disks. The only complaint I have is the quality of the remote, it is quite deficient in story to run, if you are not pointed directly at the receiver does not perform any actions that would indicate, I've tried changing the batteries thinking it could be that were damaged but the problem remains the same. For the rest I have nothing to say about this excellent device
on March 22, 2014
this is an ok player. Only issues I have, it takes more than 30 sec. for the unit to go through all the start up checks before it will start. Sound is good, but it could leave you wanting to upgrade to get a bigger sound after using for awhile.
on March 23, 2015
Underpowered! and I'm not one to crank a radio to Max. This one I have to . easy set up, sound quality is good for the price. controls are clunky, and slooooowwwwww !really slow. won't let me use special characters for passwords so I couldn't use with my wifi. But my biggest complaint is it won't play blue ray after just less than a year. But it still plays DVDs fine. I'd suggest getting something else.