Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 12, 2014
Bought 2 of these during black friday at Wal-mart 2 years ago, so for the price I was excited. It works well enough and sounds MUCH better than the standard TV, but see my list of gripes:

1. Wi-fi signal is so weak that I am not able to use it to connect to Netflix or anything else. However, the Wii sitting right next to it is able to connect to our wi-fi signal, as well as my computer and phone.

2. The speaker length for the center speaker is extremely short and barely makes it out the back of my entertainment center on to the top in front of the TV.

3. The remote lag time is very frustrating, so if you have anxiety it will send you through the roof. There is an audio source button on the remote that you push to shuffle through the different outputs (coax, aux and so forth) and I have to push the button 2 or 3 times before it moves onto the next.

4. Unless I'm not seeing it there is no menu button to take you straight to the menu of a DVD. I've tried Top Menu but it restarts the DVD over again. So I have to skip through the previews when a DVD allows me too.

5. Only 1 HDMI port, so I have to hook up my cable box to it with the old fashion 3 prong cables to get the sound to travel since I have the only HDMI cord running from this DVD player to my TV.

6. Did I already say Wi-Fi?!?!?!? Since I do not have a 3D TV it basically makes this unit obsolete with the exception og the speakers.

Pros:
1. 3D playback (though I have not been able to test it without a 3D TV

3. DVD playback has been great

2. Volume for me is fine. I have adjusted it in the settings panel, but I'm also not in a huge home. This would not be adequate for a larger home. I would suggest upgrading to something else maybe like Sonos!

I wouldn't pay the asking price on here, but for what I paid on black friday I'll deal and just buy a wi-fi adapter for my TV since it's not wi-fi enabled and hope that adapter will allow me to connect to Netflix though I shouldn't have to when I already bought a wi-fi enabled dvd player. **I did take the dvd player out from inside the caibnet and even sat it on top on the unit near the window right by where the router downstairs in the window is located, but still nothing.
on September 26, 2012
The sound quality is not very good, has to much distortion. To watch a movie i have to turn the volume all the way up. Listening to music isn't much better, not enough power.
on May 27, 2013
I purchased this to go along with my new Vizio 47" 3D TV. It was on sale for $129 before Christmas which is more reasonable than the current $165 price. This unit does what is says it will do fine but nothing more. It has a cheap feel to it. The on screen display is very basic augmented by a small rolling led display on the unit for status. Smart Wi-Fi apps few and basic.

Speakers are hard wired at the speaker, have very short cables especially for the rear speakers and have a plug on the end of the very thin/cheap speaker wire to attach to the unit. To extend the length of the speaker I had to cut the wire in the middle - put new wire in and make two splices instead of one. Only other alternative was to order plugs for one splice OR plugs and opening speakers and replace the entire wire.

The units description or its online manual did not specify IF the unit supported two way audio via the HDMI cable. I purchased a new HDMI cable that supported this function BUT the Philips unit does NOT support this. So to get 5.1 surround sound when watching a show on cable or Wi-Fi via the TV I bought an optical audio cable.

That works fine when watching the TV from cable, etc. The Philips is switched to that input and plays fine. BUT when watching a DVD sound from the TV and the Philips are not in sync and produces a reverb or echo effect. I have to turn off the sound on the TV.

Sound is fair to good but you don't get the full effect I've heard with better systems. At the $129 I paid for it I might consider buying it again to stay in budget (I don't use it that much). At the current $165 I would look elsewhere for a better deal.
on March 24, 2014
I purchased this knowing full-well it was a starter system, but being willing to accept them beforehand because of my limited budget. I needed something I could route the audio of my satellite box, Wii, and an mp3 player through. It fits the bill nicely. It took a little bit of searching to find a picture or info of the connections on the back, but it has HDMI (ARC) out, optical input, digital coaxial input, RCA inputs, and then the mp3 or iPod plug on the front. That said, I found something that fits those needs and does so nicely.

Based on other reviews of this product I assumed I would get great audio all the way around. I find I get fantastic 5.1 audio for Bluray and DVD's, as well as TV (Dish Network), and Wii, but when it comes to music, I can't get it to sound nice and clean at all. I replaced a 13 year old Philips Receiver that didn't have some of the digital audio in/out that I wanted, but those speakers sounded FAR better than these for music. Again, DVD/Bluray/TV/Wii sound great. Streaming music does not. I'm not an audiophile, but am a bit picky for music in particular. The build-in EQ adjustments simply can't get rid of tinny trebble, or muddy mids. I usually stream Pandora and Spotify through my phone and had no problems AT ALL with my old receiver and speakers, which were at a similar price point to this new system. The difference between 13+ year old technology and today's technololgy should've been a step UP, not DOWN. I recognize some new speakers may make a difference, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well just sell the whole system and buy something completely different.

Other issues:

1) when powering the system on, it takes between 5-10 seconds for it to be up and running and audio to be broadcast. My old system was virtually instantaneous. 1st world problems, I know. However, it does take a long time.

2) it would be awesome if there was at least a volume knob or display on the front of the unit to allow for easy adjustments to the EQ. Instead, you have to turn on the TV and go through a series of display choices to get to the EQ. It's not user friendly.

3) I had a heck of a time trying to find codes to work with my Dish universal remote. I spent a TON of time Googling answers but ultimately failed. Perhaps it is an issue more with my Dish Network remote, but I sure stumbled across a ton of disgruntled Comcast customers, too. Ultimately I got the URC WR7 remote and found an awesome and pretty inexpensive solution. The learning mode of it made programing it for this home theater system a breeze.

4) the speakers were hard-wired. In order to properly and discretely place them in my living room I had to cut the wires, and then strip and splice them with my existing home theater speaker wires already run under my living room floor. It's not a big deal or terribly complicated at all. I was a little surprised at the lame cost-saving measure from Philips on this system though.

I fully recognize and understand that each upward price point comes with additional features, bells, whistles, and solutions to nagging problems the more affordable units don't provide. I know I could spend more money to answer each of those problems I outlined above. That said I'm not completely unsatisfied with this unit.

Pro's:

1) very slim size! It fits nicely and discretely inside a comparatively small TV stand, plays Blurays and DVD's beautifully, and does have great 5.1 sound for movies and TV.

2) inexpensive price! At $100 for the refurbished system, you really can't go wrong if you're on a tight budget. I'll keep this until I can afford something better. In the mean time however, it didn't break the bank and has a built-in Bluray. I have no idea about the 3D feature of it and will likely never use it.

If you're looking for something affordable and cheap for a small room and don't care about your music audio quality being degraded a bit, you'll probably be very happy with this. If, like me, you're really wanting something that plays crisp clear music however, you'll be a bit disappointed.
on July 25, 2012
For pure value, the 3541/F7 can't be beat. If you're expecting a room-shaking surround experience, perhaps you'd better upgrade, but ours is set up as a soundbar spread across the TV stand and it fills up our average-size living room beautifully. Dialogue is clear, and so is music. I use classical music to test -- pop sounds good on anything. Plus, the number of features on this is incredible: ARC/CEC HDMI, FM tuner, and 3D Blu-Ray (the plain 3541 without the F7 is not a 3D unit). Very pleased.
on December 5, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this hardware. The people claiming that cables are hard-wired on have outdated information or they're confused in some other way. Every speaker wire terminates with a plug. The people claiming that it's not loud enough are spending too much time with their low-rider's sub-woofers. I agree that the speaker wires here are too short. Come on, guys; how much can five more feet of thin wire really cost? Also, the lack of speaker grills makes these _highly_ susceptible to speaker damage from normal household activities. Netflix not only works from this box, but it plays well. It's almost always max resolution and I have not seen it stop to buffer even once. I don't know how that is happening, but that's the truth. The Netflix menus, however, are seriously truncated and *very* slow to respond to remote commands. I think a software update by thumb drive _might_ take care of the old, truncated Netflix GUI. No software updates are automatically found by the networked box, however. When I ordered refurbished, one speaker arrived damaged and buzzed, so I'm missing the center speaker now. Otherwise, this system has some great value and surprisingly lush features. Buy it new if you buy it at all.
on April 16, 2015
USE THIS IN MY HOME GYM. I LIKE THE ABILITY TO CONNECT VIA LAN FOR NETFLIX WHILE EXERCISING. VOLUME LIMITS ARE ACCEPTABLE IF SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTING. THE THREE FRONT SPEAKER CORD LENGTHS ARE TOO SHORT. SUBWOOFER CORD IS BARELY LONG ENOUGH WHILE REAR SPEAKER WIRE LENGTHS ARE ADEQUATE. VIDEO QUALITY IS GOOD. I WAS STUMPED A COUPLE OF TIMES... READ THE MANUALL FULLY, IT PROBABLY DOES WHAT YOU WANT, JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW!
on September 24, 2014
Very good equipment, good sound quality and so far I have not found an audio or video format that can not read nor usb disks. The only complaint I have is the quality of the remote, it is quite deficient in story to run, if you are not pointed directly at the receiver does not perform any actions that would indicate, I've tried changing the batteries thinking it could be that were damaged but the problem remains the same. For the rest I have nothing to say about this excellent device
on March 22, 2014
this is an ok player. Only issues I have, it takes more than 30 sec. for the unit to go through all the start up checks before it will start. Sound is good, but it could leave you wanting to upgrade to get a bigger sound after using for awhile.
on May 4, 2014
As a proud former employee of Philips, I am ashamed the good name is tarnished by this POS. I'm going to donate it to goodwill.
It is slow, it is buggy, how many watts output? sounds like 2W.
Don't even consider this product. Thank you outsourcing.