Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 7, 2010
This textbook is a very easy read when it comes to history and philosophy of American Education and its evolution. There is a chronological sequence of events, clearly identified in it, which gives the readers a sense of navigating through time. In a nutshell, this book gives the reader a clear analysis of major philosophies, ideologies, and theories of education. The book provides, to any reader, an excellent historical perspective on the philosophy of education. The book covers educational history, philosophy, ideology, and theory in a format that is both informative and enjoyable to read. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn about this topic for I consider it an invaluable source of information when dealing with the field of education in America.
on April 30, 2009
Gutek's book gives any reader an excellent historical perspective on the philosophy of education. Gutek covers educational history, philosophy, ideology, and theory in a format that is both informative and enjoyable to read. I will certainly keep this book in my library; it is an invaluable source of information dealing with the field of education. As a doctoral candidate, I would rate this book as "Five Stars". It is an excellent book and I would highly recommend it.
on November 24, 2012
For a philosophy book, it's very readable. Layout is good, and facts are presented with examples where needed. Some of the more lengthy primary sources could have been summarized.
on July 15, 2011
Very interesting and great for self examination, but difficult to read. I had to reread many passages to truly understand it. It also took very long to arrive from Amazon. I needed it immediately for a class and it took over a week to arrive.
on July 12, 2011
The sender reduced the price of the book because it was not in the condition as described. I thought this represented good customer service. I still received the book within the estimated time.
on July 30, 2011
Gutek (2004) does an excellent job of describing the major educational philosophies of our day. I bought this book to use in a Philosophies of Education class, and it was the perfect companion.
on December 9, 2012
Philosophical and Ideological Voices in Education. Book was a requirement for a doctoral class. It was useful for writing paper on educational philosophy.
on October 19, 2014
Our entire grad class did not enjoy this book. It is very difficult to understand, and I believe that there are better textbooks to cover the same topic.
on April 2, 2013
Because I am not fond all all these Greek philosophers, I wasn't too interested in this book. If you need details in philosophy, this book is good.
on June 12, 2014
Relevant for anyone in education or taking grad classes. I had to have this book for a class in grad school, and it gives a lot of good info.