Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philosophy of Education
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 11, 2013
Nel Nodding's Philosophy of Education should be listed as a must read for educators and all concerned with education and its future. The book not only provided a useful introduction to the philosophy of education but an introduction to philosophy itself. Mrs. Nodding also provided many insights into the current debates within education, knowledge and its construction, society and its problems; as well as a survey of ideas championing reform.
Several themes were over-viewed throughout the book, including a history of education and philosophy from Plato to the postmodern feminist critics of today, the sub-branches of philosophy and their relevance to education, as well as challenges to education today. Plato, Aristotle, Rousseau, Kant, Dewey, Piaget, Vygotsky, Bertrand Russell and Kohlberg are included in the selection of theoreticians quoted and reviewed. I liked how questions were provided at the end of each chapter, because they served not only to refresh ideas discussed in the chapter but they also lead the reader into contemplation on chapter themes.
Although all chapters were relevant, I considered the two most useful chapters, `The Problems of School Reform,' because it provided a critical analysis of the NCLB law, and `the Feminist Critique,' because the ethic of care was introduced; a philosophical perspective which prioritizes relationships and their importance to the educational process.
This short review can not do adequate justice to the contents of `the Philosophy of Education.' Yet, for anyone interested in the history of education, different philosophical perspectives on education, and the current state of education today, this book will make a nice addition to your bookshelf.......
on November 16, 2014
The first part of Nel Nodding's Philosophy of Education is pretty good. in the first part she sets up the different views on philosophy of education, sweeping through ancient to contemporary philosophy in two chapters. She has a fair chapter on Critical Thinking and its role in educational theory. After that, the book drags quite a bit. The book appears to be more interested in tangent topics rather than the topic of philosophy of education. To take an example, in a chapter regarding morality and education, the writing gets mired in some of the particularities of Aristotle's ethics instead of pointing up just how relevant (or irrelevant, if such is the case) his ethics is to educational theory and of what use we can make of. Wish there were a better book out there on philosophy of education, but at least good for its early portions and also for its recommended readings.
on August 10, 2015
A competent overview for a student looking for a sound way into the subject. It is not meant for a standing scholar as it is too elementary. It is a little frustrating to be continually teased by a topic with the assertion we will cover that subject later in the book. It sometimes felt like a sports show teasing me to wait through the next commercial. I did not log the times this was said to be sure those promised topics were properly covered later in the book, but the practice continued to the end, so I am suspicious. None-the-less, a solid foundation text. I recommend it for the head of museum education departments that often have sound art history and content people who are less versed in the art and philosophy of teaching. This book will improve practice, or at least improve the conversation at coffee breaks...
on December 18, 2007
A decent text introducing at least the basic framework for philosophical
positions to those without a lot of philosophy background. Nice to use
as a secondary text supplementing primary texts. One things to make sure of, however; get the second edition and not the first. I ordered a used edition thinking that it would be the second edition as Amazon has grouped it. It wasn't however. The first edition's last chapter is on feminism whereas the second's is on school reform. I am now going to have to order another one because of Amazon's screw up!
on May 5, 2013
Nel Noddings is the expert on this topic of Philosophy of Education and I will use this as a textbook in my Masters level class for the same topic. I am sure that the students will enjoy this book and develop a better understanding of today's education paradigm.
on May 8, 2009
I'm using this book as a basic information text. I'[m preparing for an introduction to education class and needed to review the basic philosophies for one of the lessons. While not exhaustive, it provided me with that.
on March 23, 2015
The book tries to touch the issue of ethics. The subject presentation is disorganized, it needs major editing
on May 10, 2013
Came in excellent condition no problems. Content of book excellent. It was a required book for school and I found it to be interesting and very educational. If you like philosophy and education will like it. If you want to buy this one I am done.
on April 2, 2013
I LOVE this Woman's views. She has a true finger on the pulse of the needs of our children as well as society. Nel Noddings is my new Hero. She is the champion we all need going to in depth look at where we need to go from here.
on September 22, 2013
It's awesome. The information is well thought out and informative. Once I began reading, I couldn't put it down even though it was a college textbook.