Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 30, 2002
This is a good text although I suspect that any students lower than higher-intermediate or advanced undergraduate levels would find it very difficult. I found it to often presuppose that the reader was already fairly philosophically sophisticated, so I suspect the introductory student would get quite lost (and bored), unless the class were going at a quite slow speed (which is often the speed that good philosophy is done). So, I don't think I'd recommend this book to students without much philosophy background. It'd be good for more advanced students though.
The 'Notes' and 'For Further Reading' sections were full of good sources for scholars and students to track down.
on August 31, 2008
This book was a required read in my undergraduate course in the philosophy of religion, and I must say that I'm very pleased that it was.

The selected readings are fair and balanced, and do well to portray the argument from religious big leaguers like St. Aquinas, St. Anselm, and Plantinga, and members of the skeptic A-team like Hume and Clifford. Many of the popular arguments concerning God's nature, and His relationship with mankind, are examined in this book.

Overall, I think the book is excellent, and serves a very interesting plunge in to the world of religious philosophy, most especially for Catholics like myself who feel the call to examine anything and everything they can get their hands on, haha.
on February 29, 2000
Many philosophers are struck with the unbearable "long-windedness", which is in fact surprising when you consider their aim of rationality. Wainwright's Philosophy of Religion deals beautifully with the dreaded long-windedness through concise exegeses and a thoughtful introduction to many of the pressing topics in this field. This is definitely the book to get for beginners.
This year (2013) marks the fortieth anniversary of the publication of the first edition of "Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings," edited by William Rowe and William Wainwright. The first edition, which I used during the years I was teaching philosophy of religion at the University of Nebraska, was great. The current (third) edition is just as good, perhaps even better. Unlike some anthologies, the current editon of Rowe and Wainwright has not been watered down by the inclusion of trendy or superficial articles. It contains many of the same articles found in the first edition, almost all by philosophical "heavyweights," and where it has substituted or added articles it has continued the same practice of anthologizing articles with important philosophical content.

Its major sections are: The nature and attributes of God, the arguments for God's existence (including a subsection on the moral argument, which was not in the first edition), the problem of evil, objections to theism, mysticism and religious experience, faith and miracles, and immortality. Most of these sections contain a nice blend of traditional and contemporary readings on the topic. Moreover, the anthologized articles represent a balance between opposing viewpoints. It is clear that Rowe and Wainwright do not have a particular theological or philosophical axe to grind.

While many of these selections require work on the part of the reader to fully understand, they are not beyond the ability of the more advanced undergraduate to fathom. This anthology is ideal for an upper-division philosophy of religion course.
on March 13, 2016
If I could give it zero stars I would. The kindle book and the print book do not match up. They are completely different texts and the kindle version is outdated as well. So if you need the book pictured on the print book tab, do not waste your money on the kindle version.
on December 4, 2014
I began using this edition as an undergraduate college student because it was the required text for my Philosophy of Religion class. I continued to rely on it throughout graduate school and continue to use it as the primary text for my graduate level and upper division courses in the Philosophy of Religion as well as for undergraduate classes in Metaphysics, Theology, and Medieval Studies. Necessary.
on January 2, 2013
I purchased this product because the cost of textbooks from the bookstore at my campus is outrageous.I must say I was very satisfied with the condition of this book, it was brought as a used book, however the condition of it was new. I also was very pleased with the time frame I received the book.
on April 6, 2015
This isn't just a textbook. It is absolutely a book I cherish every day. It has taught me so much. Don't rent this, buy it.
on October 4, 2014
The single best Philosophy of Religion anthology currently available. I recommend it to all my students and colleagues.
on January 26, 2008
Nice collection of theologic philosphy and argumentative response to the question of God's existence and the problem of evil.