1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Peace Finding Peace? Bond? James Bond?, July 14, 2008
This review is from: Philosophy Works: Accessing the Power of Great Ideas for a Happier Life (Paperback)
Why do people trying to explain a Buddhist approach to philosophy, even if they are from England, have to write like English is their second language?

I was really hoping that this book might explain the philosophy of happiness and how Buddhism works without getting all Dalai Karma and bleary-eyed mystical on me. The guy works at an Economics school! How down to earth is that? I pretended not to notice the fuzziness of the first few pages and pressed on all the way to Page 8, where I hit this brick wall:

"Peace may begin with you and the apparent other finding between you a bond."

What? Where am I? Earth? Hello? Anyone speak English here?

What "apparent other finding"? There was a *first* finding? Did I miss it? And, it's between me and a bond, eh? James Bond? That'll be one hell of a peaceful fight!

...*Sound of shaking head and brains rattling*...

I went four times into that sentence before I found a way out. And it was an unsatisfactory one at that. The dangling participle "finding" seems to refer to "Peace", as in -

"Peace may find a bond between you, where it (peace) began, and someone else (Bond? James Bond?), where it, um, didn't."

Maybe just a comma, or perhaps some LSD and tie-dyed shirt would have helped. No, surely YOU are supposed to be finding peace, not peace itself doing the finding.

Fuzzy writing or fuzzy thinking? Or was he just trying to be sound profound and ended up being ungrammatical?

Really, why should I bother reading any further if it's going to be this difficult? It was a big effort to buy this book, as I'm already cynical enough, I don't need any more metaphysical con-artists and feet-of-clay mystics on my bookshelf.

Turns out for all his vaunted School Of Economic Science in London street cred (oh, that's NOT the London School of Economics?), the author seems to be just another Eckhard Tolle wannabe. Which may be good as far as it goes, but for me, it's already gone back for a refund.

Philosophy Works: Accessing the Power of Great Ideas for a Happier Life