5.0 out of 5 stars More than a botanical reference
Published on May 5, 2011 by Deborah Raney

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed
Published on October 27, 2011 by DGM

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Phlox: A Natural History and Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
I was hoping this long awaited work on Phlox would give me more information about the many variants of some of the eastern phlox species,especially P. pilosa and P. glaberrima varieties that I have encountered in the wild. The book is mainly just putting together information that has already been published which is great for someone not familiar with the genus..A little more photography should have been included, especially of the eastern species.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a botanical reference, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Phlox: A Natural History and Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
Phlox isn't the kind of book you pick up to read from cover to cover, but being accustomed to reading books that way, I started with the Preface and Acknowledgements. The book is worth purchasing for these alone. Beautiful, evocative prose. And a thick section of wonderful photographs by the author that prompted me to put phlox at the top of my list for the next trip to our local arboretum's plant sale. If all that wasn't enough, with its crisp, colorful cover photo, this book looks stunning on our coffee table.

Phlox: A Natural History and Gardener's Guide
Phlox: A Natural History and Gardener's Guide by James H. Locklear (Hardcover - March 9, 2011)
$49.95 $44.96