Published 16 months ago by Caring Friend

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Adapter for Ooma Telo is not worth the aggravation
A word of warning!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE the Ooma Telo with Wireless Adapter combination package. Purchase only the Ooma Telo device if you want to try this service.

Published 19 months ago by Nick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is better than a land line or the deal you get from cable!!!, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Ooma Telo Air VoIP Free Home Phone Service with Wireless Adapter, Plus 90 Days Ooma Premier (Electronics)
This is great!!! Our phone bill is almost zero...about $5/mo. in taxes and government fees, and we live in New York! Service is excellent. We installed it about 9 months ago...no problems, plus the software is uber-helpful. The wireless feature added a level of complexity to the installation that I didn't have patience for. Our base station is next to the modem, so the wireless adapter is sitting in a drawer. This is better than a land line or the deal you get from cable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Adapter for Ooma Telo is not worth the aggravation, December 15, 2012

I say this because the wireless adapter doesn't function very effectively despite a strong wireless signal (as shown on my laptop which had excellent signal strength from my wireless network). Even placing the device right next to the router.wireless network device didn't make a differenece.

Essentially the problem is that the Ooma constantly recycles (reboots) so that you can't use it. You are better off connecting Ooma Telo directly to a router.

This rating is based on the frustration I have had trying to get this up and running. Now that I'm connected to a router, I can say that the service has been great for the last hour - this after 2 weeks of frustration. Hopefully, in the long run, it will have been worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars SOLUTION TO POOR WIRELESS SOUND QUALITY, April 15, 2013
This product does not work as well as a regular landline (POTS). SKIP THE WIRELESS ADAPTER!

1. PRICE. I am not sure the total price of switching the telephone line for $40, the premier service ($120 but no $40 switch fee), etc. is worth it. If it lasts a long time, I guess it will be less expensive, but I will have to wait a long time to break even. At this point, I have $250 bucks invested- It will have to work about 1.5-2 years to break even. The time it takes to work on this and set it up adds to the cost.

2. SETUP. Setup is not that hard, but this is a complicated system. Ooma Telo requires you to connect an ethernet cable to the device to made changes and set up Ooma Telo via a computer, which is not included with the product and is a hassle to set up. If you lack a portable computer, I would not buy Ooma with Wireless adapter.

3. QUALITY. We had many complaints about call quality. I called Ooma and they told me they did an adjustment on my device, but that did not completely fix the problem. They said my wireless adapter was working fine, despite the problems. Do not use OOMA for your business, especially if it is not connected via a ETHERNET cable to your Router.

4. MY SOLUTION. I replaced the Wireless Adapter with a WIFI EXTENDER and an Ethernet cable directly to Ooma. Since my Wifi Extender works much faster than the Ooma Wireless Adapter, the sound quality is much better. However, it takes a while for the Ooma to get going, so there are weird sounds on the line in the beginning of calls.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for us., August 14, 2013
This solution works for my family. The wireless connectivity is completely reliable with the router we're using. It seems that other people who aren't setting it up properly are leaving poor reviews... Anyway, make sure you match it with your router's specs, and you should be fine. Otherwise, you can try it with an Ethernet connector... There's no scam about it, as some other reviewers have said. Takes a bit of time to port your number (and there's an extra fee).

Pros:
Free (aside from tax and power consumption) landline number
Free caller ID and call waiting

Cons:
None I have experienced

Requires a compatible set of handsets, but even if you purchase this unit and a set of handsets, you'll break even in under a year-ish depending on your phone company's rates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless adopter does not work!, February 18, 2014
I bought the Ooma Tello two years ago and liked it just fine. Then, I bought a second one, with the wireless adopter and it did not work. Still pending on repairs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the one without the wifi stick, January 24, 2014
Wifi stick does not work.
I am a tech person with high end wifi in my house and found out that with the wifi stick the call quality is very poor.
The call quality on wired connection is not as good as a standard cable offering, however this is a cost saver if you are willing to go with a slightly degraded call quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if slow internet connection, January 2, 2014
I had trouble with this product because the cable internet connection is slow in my area. I tried to have fixed by company with no luck. My guess is that this product is great with fast connection (judging from all these good reviews).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!!!, December 27, 2013
This product is excellent! Works great, crystal clear....no static, no dropped calls. Oh....also Huge saving on my phone bill, it will pay for itself in three to four months.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great with wireless, May 25, 2014
I tried setting this up using my wireless internet, but would have issues much of the time with no dial tone. Eventually I broke down and moved my main phone and ooma to our router with a direct connection and haven't had connectivity issues since. However, when I'm on conference calls it occasionally times out and I get a dial tone. This is pretty annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, April 4, 2014
I have been wondering whether I should switch over to the OOMA due to the monthly charge for my regular landline from the Telco has been increasing over time. In addition to the sound quality, my concern about OOMA was that whether I can still effectively use all my existing phones at home.

I purchased this product (with WiFi option) at a warehouse when it was on sale. I was worrying about the setup according to some of the reviews especially for the WiFi. I read the Quick Start-up Guide which comes with the product and found that it's well written and easy to follow.

To avoid any potential trouble, I tried the wired Ethernet connection first. According to the guide, the sound quality could be better if you place the OOMA Telo between the modem and the router. I did and it went through the setup smoothly without any issue until the last step. The big OOMA logo at the center of the box kept blinking in red and never went out. I checked all my connections and Internet services with my laptop according to the trouble shooting guide. I confirmed that all my internet service is still there - the modem is working well. I changed the configuration and plugged the OOMA Telo to the router instead. Voila, the setup went thru and the device shows all LEDs in blue. I didn't bother to investigate why the 1st configuration didn't work. The sound quality is great and there is no lag as I worried in the 1st place.

Now that I knew my OOMA is working so I started setting up the WiFi. It turned out to be a no brainer. The setup was quick and easy. All I needed to do was to enter the secure code for connecting it to my router wirelessly.

Next, I requested OOMA to port my existing phone number (cost $39.99 plus tax if applicable. Note, don't cancel your current phone until the porting is done - you may lose the number otherwise). Immediately, I received the 1st note from OOMA telling me that the porting will be done in 3 - 4 weeks. I received the 2nd note the next day telling me that the porting will be done tomorrow. I have my existing number ported in less than three days!

How about all my extension phones? The Setup Guide confirms my original thought that I should be able to plug the OOMA to any one of the phone jacks I have at home, which makes all the phones connected seamlessly. Indeed, it does.

I effectively switched over to the OOMA in three days without any major issue and/or downtime with existing number and started saving. I am glad I did.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›