3,627
Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Built in Speakerphone 8 hour Rechargeable Battery (Blue)
Color: BluePackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$29.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 30, 2013
Great product for the money. I read so many positive reviews that I had to give it a try (especially with the good price vs. other similar products). I must admit that the time for delivery felt a bit long (I think it took about 7-8 calendar days to arrive). When I opened the box, I was a litte disappointed that it had a few superficial marks on the front rubbery plastic (it was not in the protective plastic bag wrap). It made me wonder if I was receiving a product from the return shelf. After buffing-out the superficial scratches, I was happy again since it looked like new!

Okay...now for the sound/performance. I am comparing this to a Jambox (the smaller one) that I just bought at Costco in San Diego for $150+tax. I thought that was a relatively good deal and have been quite happy with the Jambox. The look/feel of the CYREN vs. the Jambox is quite similar (the CYREN is slightly bigger, but only by approximately 1/2 an inch in width). Then I did a blind sound test with my family. The CYREN had very crisp and clear sound, but I (personally) was worried a bit about the bass not being deep enough when compared to Jambox (I conducted the sound test). Then we tried the same song on the Jambox and at first it sounded deeper/richer (I was focused on the bass), but the more we listened, we realized the Jambox sounded a bit muffled. After going back and forth with the units, the CYREN won the sound test due to overall sound quality. It offers a very nice crisp/clear sound and enough bass to not sound muffled.

Now, when the price difference is factored-in, it is clearly a no-brainer to get the CYREN. It is a great product with a very good price. The only reason I didn't give it a 5-star rating was due to the shoddy inner packaging and the fact that Photive should have hired a better author for the user manual (it seemed like it was written/translated in China). The wording that jumped-out at me was "To better protect the product, you'd better purchase a compatible charger from the same place where you purchased the speaker". I doubt other big-name brands would have that wording in their manual. Jambox (also made in China) took the extra step with all the details (it has great packaging and a solid user manual).

I would buy this for myself and for family well-before I would buy the Jambox. However, if this were to be given as a gift, to a friend or colleague, it may be a bit embarrasing. If Photive can tighten-up the packaging details a bit more (small improvements) and wordsmith the instruction manual, they could have a 5+ product. It still won't be a name-brand like Jambox, but heck, Samsung started as a second-tier brand name and look where they are!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This speaker system has great volume and sound quality. It is easy to pair with your Bluetooth devices and it even comes with an auxiliary cable so you can use it with your non Bluetooth devices. It has a built in rechargeable battery that will operate for 10 hours when using the Bluetooth connection and up to 12 hours when using the auxiliary cable and the Bluetooth is turned off. It also has a built in microphone to allow you to do hands free calls using the speaker. You can even use Siri and voice commands!

What's in the box?
* A charging cable that is 33 inches long and it has a USB plug on one end and Micro USB plug on the other end.
* An auxiliary cable that has a 3.5 mm stereo plug on each end and the cable is 33 inches long.
* A carrying bag
* An instruction manual
* The speaker itself

The speaker comes in black, blue, orange, purple and red. The speaker weighs 11 ½ ounces. You should charge the speaker for 3 to 4 hours before you use it and you can use your computer's USB port or an AC USB wall charger that you own for use with your smart devices. The battery capacity is 1000 mAh and it can be recharged up to 500 times if you take proper care of the battery and speaker. On the back of the speaker you will find an on/off switch, the auxiliary input jack and the Micro USB charging port. When you plug in a charging source the LED on top will turn red and indicate that charging is taking place. When the battery is fully charged the charging process will stop.

On the top of the speaker are the control buttons:
* The phone control to answer, hang up, skip or place a call or to use Siri or voice commands.
* Previous song track
* Play/pause
* Next sound track
* Volume down
* Volume up

The speaker actually has two speakers in it that output the equivalent of 6 watts of sound power. The sound output is rich with excellent bass and high clarity of high tones. I show how to pair the speaker in my video and it was fast and easy. It took only a few seconds. Remember that the volume output of the speaker is controlled by the volume setting on the speaker and the volume output setting on your paired smart device. The sound quality is excellent, it has premium sound quality. The range of the Bluetooth is about 33 feet but when pairing your device for the first time try to be within 3 feet. No pin number or code is required to pair to the speaker.

The carrying case is an added benefit in that it helps to keep your speaker clean while you are carrying it. It is also lightweight enough that you can play your music and hear the songs through the bag. I show how to receive a phone call while listening to music and the process was simple and easy. The connection quality was good on my end of the conversation and for the person calling me. This speaker has a lot of features and it is a good quality product. I rated it at 5 stars.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
4343 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 24, 2013
Quick Highlights: Excellent Bluetooth connectivity, long battery life, quality build, LOUD volume, clear and detailed sound.

Ratings for the unit in comparison to others it size after 2 weeks of use.

Look and Feel-5/5 - Brick red with a nice quality grill. Lego-ish with a rubberized texture, nice buttons, solid construction, on/off slide button in back.
Connectivity- 5/5 - Bluetooth 3.0 for quick pairing, battery indicator on phone, longer standby, increased data transfer + better sound.
Battery - 5/5 Lithium Ion - 10 hours is legit, I can cycle through 3 charges on my iPhone 5 before its out. Recharges quickly. Powers down automatically.
Volume - 5/5 You wont find one louder for its size and it still sounds good at full volume. Party on the Go!
Sound - 4/5 Great sound - clear and detailed even on Bluetooth. Bass wont shake anything but you can still hear a decent spectrum of sound. Highs could be slightly clearer. Its not my DS8500 but its 1/8 the size and weight. I was truly impressed with the sound of this little unit & my ears are delighted.

Awesome gift & a truly great find for anyone that appreciates good portable sound. As good or better then similar models costing $200+ I give it 5/5 Overall - Dig it!

Background:
For an audiophile, the decision to purchase a small bluetooth speaker is like Jay Leno having to pick out a rental car - what you really want you aren't going to find, and what you settle on you won't be satisfied with - but you still get to drive. I'm thinking tunes for beach, patio, boat, poker, camping... without having to lug around my Philips Fidelio DS8500 Speaker Dock with Remote for iPod/iPhone (White/Silver). I really wanted to find something that was extremely portable and wireless with long battery life that sounded worth listening to and didn't cost over $100. I listened to many of the new brick sized speakers and was not impressed with what I heard for $200. I saw the Photive CYREN online for $69 and was a little skeptical about how it would sound given the low price and my lack of familiarity with Photive products. I hit the feedback link and asked how it compared and I received and a decent answer from the seller so I took a chance...

Update: I received a refund for the lesser price from the seller after the price drop before I posted the review great service! I purchased a black CYREN for a friend who loves it and uses it in his car.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
My charging port broke after 3 uses. The micro USB no longer charges the unit. It's useless now -- no charge, no sound.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2013
Putting aside the overall inherent sonic reproduction limitations with this type of speaker for obvious reasons (size, weight, materials, etc.) no matter what brand it is, the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker is a reasonably priced, well built, functional and attractive device that gets the basic job done confidently and adequately.

However my strong personal opinion is that the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker sounds rather pedestrian and uninspired, and does NOT produce the same range of balanced and rich sound (ie: bass response) as the Bluetooth speaker this one is modeled after, Aliph's Jawbone Jambox.

While some have mentioned a generally "cleaner" or "brighter" sound with the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker compared to the Jawbone Jambox, I find the Photive CYREN listening experience to be a bit on the shrill and tinny side...almost a "flat response" type of sound that is (much too) bright with soaring treble and a blended mid-range but it's very much at the expense of lower end register.

To help mitigate this and add marginally improved bass response, as well as balance the overall sound quality to some degree, place the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker as close to the joining walls in one of the corners of the room it's being used in, or at least place it up close to a wall or something else that will be behind the speaker. Where the speaker is placed and how it is positioned definitely makes a noticeable difference in sound quality and depth.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2014
I'm afraid I have to give it a less than stellar review because after less than a year it seems that the battery no longer charges enough to allow the speaker to function, it will charge for a couple of minutes then the charging LED will switch off. However when I turn it on it gives me a low battery warning and wont work.This wouldn't be a problem but there is no way to manually replace the battery myself.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 16, 2015
You simply CANNOT BEAT this deal till April 27th of $20 for this quality!!!! I have tested the BOSE and it is incredible at $200, but this speaker for $20 which does sacrifice SOME bass (probably below 100hz don't hit very well) but the highs are really good, and the mids are awesome. Very rich sound for the price......WELL WORTH $100 and I got it for $20. I tried the handsfree phone con on it as well and the whole house can hear the conversation, this would be great for your parents, very loud and mic is very clear also. I rarely do reviews, but felt like I had to with this one! If you have 200 to 'blow' or want near perfect sound, go with the BOSE, if you can sacrifice 15% or less quality sound for 10% of the cost then this is for you! Added pic to show you a more realistic, from the home size comparison, I actually thought it would be slightly bigger, which worried me, but the quality changed that, and I am glad it is smaller than I thought now!
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
I consider myself to be a bit of an audio-phile, I did a side by side comparison with a bose bluetooth portable speaker, of course the bose outperformed this unit considerably but price wise the difference is huge as well. The speaker has really no low end, mids are pretty clear as well as the highs. Vocals are usually quite clear and volume is satisfactory. I bought this as a cheap speaker for when I travel for my Nexus 10 while watching netflix. The bluetooth system in this unit is laggy at best, especially when streaming something like Netflix, usually 2-3 full seconds behind the video. If you plug it up directly, it has no problem, provides clear vocals and decent sound for the price. The battery is phenomenal and lasts for quite some time, on a full charge I got about 8 hours of use and left it off for a couple days and then resumed about 4-5 hours of use.

Overall there are far better speakers out there for a far greater price, if you want portability, a spare 3.5mm cable and want to be mobile and have decent volume and quality, this has been a better unit. If you want a full array of audio, including resounding bass and clarity, the price will increase as well. This is a happy medium.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2014
Long story short the Oontz sounds better than the CYREN. Details below:

The Photive CYREN is made very well and the feel of the product is wonderful. Everything about the CYREN is great, other than the most important criteria...the sound quality. This is where the Oontz shines compared to the CYREN. The CYREN is very tinny sounding with minimal base and depth of sounds. I am no audiophile, so the CYREN would have satisfied my needs (listening to music while in the shower), but having listened to both at the same time under the same variables the Oontz is of better sound quality.

I listened to both the Oontz and CYREN using the same phone, song..etc and the Oontz definitely sounds better. They both play music just as loud as each other, but the different lies in the quality of the overall sound.

Although the CYREN is made very well and physically is very awesome, the sound quality just falls short.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2013
Read the negative reviews. The charging port was broken by standard charging within 2 weeks of having the unit. It was great until then. Don't buy (See updates below).

UPDATE (20-Nov-2013)
After I posted this the company contacted me and sent me a new unit. They said there was a batch of units with a bad weld which caused the issue I described above. If the unit works well and port doesn't break within a month or so...I'll update to 5 star because the unit does work well if you can charge it and apparently they have great customer service.

UPDATE (10-Feb-2014)
The new unit they sent me is perfect. But these units.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations