2,801 Reviews
 (1,716)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Crisp/Clear Sound vs. Jambox
Published 15 months ago by Amy S.

Putting aside the overall inherent sonic reproduction limitations with this type of speaker for obvious reasons (size, weight, materials, etc.) no matter what brand it is, the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker is a reasonably priced, well built, functional and attractive device that gets the basic job done confidently and adequately.

However my...
Published 13 months ago by PJM

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Crisp/Clear Sound vs. Jambox, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Built in Speakerphone, 8 Hour Rechargeable Battery (Black) (Electronics)
Great product for the money. I read so many positive reviews that I had to give it a try (especially with the good price vs. other similar products). I must admit that the time for delivery felt a bit long (I think it took about 7-8 calendar days to arrive). When I opened the box, I was a litte disappointed that it had a few superficial marks on the front rubbery plastic (it was not in the protective plastic bag wrap). It made me wonder if I was receiving a product from the return shelf. After buffing-out the superficial scratches, I was happy again since it looked like new!

Okay...now for the sound/performance. I am comparing this to a Jambox (the smaller one) that I just bought at Costco in San Diego for $150+tax. I thought that was a relatively good deal and have been quite happy with the Jambox. The look/feel of the CYREN vs. the Jambox is quite similar (the CYREN is slightly bigger, but only by approximately 1/2 an inch in width). Then I did a blind sound test with my family. The CYREN had very crisp and clear sound, but I (personally) was worried a bit about the bass not being deep enough when compared to Jambox (I conducted the sound test). Then we tried the same song on the Jambox and at first it sounded deeper/richer (I was focused on the bass), but the more we listened, we realized the Jambox sounded a bit muffled. After going back and forth with the units, the CYREN won the sound test due to overall sound quality. It offers a very nice crisp/clear sound and enough bass to not sound muffled.

Now, when the price difference is factored-in, it is clearly a no-brainer to get the CYREN. It is a great product with a very good price. The only reason I didn't give it a 5-star rating was due to the shoddy inner packaging and the fact that Photive should have hired a better author for the user manual (it seemed like it was written/translated in China). The wording that jumped-out at me was "To better protect the product, you'd better purchase a compatible charger from the same place where you purchased the speaker". I doubt other big-name brands would have that wording in their manual. Jambox (also made in China) took the extra step with all the details (it has great packaging and a solid user manual).

I would buy this for myself and for family well-before I would buy the Jambox. However, if this were to be given as a gift, to a friend or colleague, it may be a bit embarrasing. If Photive can tighten-up the packaging details a bit more (small improvements) and wordsmith the instruction manual, they could have a 5+ product. It still won't be a name-brand like Jambox, but heck, Samsung started as a second-tier brand name and look where they are!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good volume and high quality sound out of this portable Bluetooth speaker!, July 15, 2013
Length:: 6:58 Mins

This speaker system has great volume and sound quality. It is easy to pair with your Bluetooth devices and it even comes with an auxiliary cable so you can use it with your non Bluetooth devices. It has a built in rechargeable battery that will operate for 10 hours when using the Bluetooth connection and up to 12 hours when using the auxiliary cable and the Bluetooth is turned off. It also has a built in microphone to allow you to do hands free calls using the speaker. You can even use Siri and voice commands!

What's in the box?
* A charging cable that is 33 inches long and it has a USB plug on one end and Micro USB plug on the other end.
* An auxiliary cable that has a 3.5 mm stereo plug on each end and the cable is 33 inches long.
* A carrying bag
* An instruction manual
* The speaker itself

The speaker comes in black, blue, orange, purple and red. The speaker weighs 11 ˝ ounces. You should charge the speaker for 3 to 4 hours before you use it and you can use your computer's USB port or an AC USB wall charger that you own for use with your smart devices. The battery capacity is 1000 mAh and it can be recharged up to 500 times if you take proper care of the battery and speaker. On the back of the speaker you will find an on/off switch, the auxiliary input jack and the Micro USB charging port. When you plug in a charging source the LED on top will turn red and indicate that charging is taking place. When the battery is fully charged the charging process will stop.

On the top of the speaker are the control buttons:
* The phone control to answer, hang up, skip or place a call or to use Siri or voice commands.
* Previous song track
* Play/pause
* Next sound track
* Volume down
* Volume up

The speaker actually has two speakers in it that output the equivalent of 6 watts of sound power. The sound output is rich with excellent bass and high clarity of high tones. I show how to pair the speaker in my video and it was fast and easy. It took only a few seconds. Remember that the volume output of the speaker is controlled by the volume setting on the speaker and the volume output setting on your paired smart device. The sound quality is excellent, it has premium sound quality. The range of the Bluetooth is about 33 feet but when pairing your device for the first time try to be within 3 feet. No pin number or code is required to pair to the speaker.

The carrying case is an added benefit in that it helps to keep your speaker clean while you are carrying it. It is also lightweight enough that you can play your music and hear the songs through the bag. I show how to receive a phone call while listening to music and the process was simple and easy. The connection quality was good on my end of the conversation and for the person calling me. This speaker has a lot of features and it is a good quality product. I rated it at 5 stars.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding All Around!, July 23, 2013
M. Simpson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Quick Highlights: Excellent Bluetooth connectivity, long battery life, quality build, LOUD volume, clear and detailed sound.

Ratings for the unit in comparison to others it size after 2 weeks of use.

Look and Feel-5/5 - Brick red with a nice quality grill. Lego-ish with a rubberized texture, nice buttons, solid construction, on/off slide button in back.
Connectivity- 5/5 - Bluetooth 3.0 for quick pairing, battery indicator on phone, longer standby, increased data transfer + better sound.
Battery - 5/5 Lithium Ion - 10 hours is legit, I can cycle through 3 charges on my iPhone 5 before its out. Recharges quickly. Powers down automatically.
Volume - 5/5 You wont find one louder for its size and it still sounds good at full volume. Party on the Go!
Sound - 4/5 Great sound - clear and detailed even on Bluetooth. Bass wont shake anything but you can still hear a decent spectrum of sound. Highs could be slightly clearer. Its not my DS8500 but its 1/8 the size and weight. I was truly impressed with the sound of this little unit & my ears are delighted.

Awesome gift & a truly great find for anyone that appreciates good portable sound. As good or better then similar models costing $200+ I give it 5/5 Overall - Dig it!

Background:
For an audiophile, the decision to purchase a small bluetooth speaker is like Jay Leno having to pick out a rental car - what you really want you aren't going to find, and what you settle on you won't be satisfied with - but you still get to drive. I'm thinking tunes for beach, patio, boat, poker, camping... without having to lug around my Philips Fidelio DS8500 Speaker Dock with Remote for iPod/iPhone (White/Silver). I really wanted to find something that was extremely portable and wireless with long battery life that sounded worth listening to and didn't cost over $100. I listened to many of the new brick sized speakers and was not impressed with what I heard for $200. I saw the Photive CYREN online for $69 and was a little skeptical about how it would sound given the low price and my lack of familiarity with Photive products. I hit the feedback link and asked how it compared and I received and a decent answer from the seller so I took a chance...

Update: I received a refund for the lesser price from the seller after the price drop before I posted the review great service! I purchased a black CYREN for a friend who loves it and uses it in his car.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker is a quality device with mediocre sound reproduction..., November 22, 2013
PJM (New York, USA) - See all my reviews

However my strong personal opinion is that the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker sounds rather pedestrian and uninspired, and does NOT produce the same range of balanced and rich sound (ie: bass response) as the Bluetooth speaker this one is modeled after, Aliph's Jawbone Jambox.

While some have mentioned a generally "cleaner" or "brighter" sound with the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker compared to the Jawbone Jambox, I find the Photive CYREN listening experience to be a bit on the shrill and tinny side...almost a "flat response" type of sound that is (much too) bright with soaring treble and a blended mid-range but it's very much at the expense of lower end register.

To help mitigate this and add marginally improved bass response, as well as balance the overall sound quality to some degree, place the Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker as close to the joining walls in one of the corners of the room it's being used in, or at least place it up close to a wall or something else that will be behind the speaker. Where the speaker is placed and how it is positioned definitely makes a noticeable difference in sound quality and depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker, December 8, 2013
GREAT little speaker. I got mine for $50 but recently it was on sale for $40. Wish they would do that again, I would buy another!!

The GOOD: It holds a charge, plays forever! It is LOUD if you want it to be. the onboard controls work great. Very cute, stylish, and light.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars: My only complaint is that I would have liked to have a deeper bass, but other than that, it is great..

5.0 out of 5 stars Charging port broke within 2 weeks., October 27, 2013
Read the negative reviews. The charging port was broken by standard charging within 2 weeks of having the unit. It was great until then. Don't buy (See updates below).

UPDATE (20-Nov-2013)
After I posted this the company contacted me and sent me a new unit. They said there was a batch of units with a bad weld which caused the issue I described above. If the unit works well and port doesn't break within a month or so...I'll update to 5 star because the unit does work well if you can charge it and apparently they have great customer service.

UPDATE (10-Feb-2014)
The new unit they sent me is perfect. But these units.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oontz vs Photive CYREN....go with Oontz, June 24, 2014
Long story short the Oontz sounds better than the CYREN. Details below:

The Photive CYREN is made very well and the feel of the product is wonderful. Everything about the CYREN is great, other than the most important criteria...the sound quality. This is where the Oontz shines compared to the CYREN. The CYREN is very tinny sounding with minimal base and depth of sounds. I am no audiophile, so the CYREN would have satisfied my needs (listening to music while in the shower), but having listened to both at the same time under the same variables the Oontz is of better sound quality.

I listened to both the Oontz and CYREN using the same phone, song..etc and the Oontz definitely sounds better. They both play music just as loud as each other, but the different lies in the quality of the overall sound.

Although the CYREN is made very well and physically is very awesome, the sound quality just falls short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop reading reviews and buy this thing., November 19, 2013
Chris W. (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I wish I rated this 5 stars long ago.

Very seldom do I buy something that is worth way more than I pay for it. These speakers ROCK. They last forever, they are built SOLID. They are loud enough and have quality sound to watch movies from my portable projector in my apartment full of people. Everyone is blown away by this thing. I use mine hours every day and toss it around, taking it around my steamy shower and in my abused backpack. It's lasted months of abuse, and on top of that, I only charge it every other week.

If I lost this speaker today, I'd order two more to replace it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quit Working, March 6, 2014
Mark Davis (WAPAKONETA, OH, US) - See all my reviews
At first, I was thrilled with this speaker. The sound quality was great, I like the size and shape, and I couldn't believe how loud it was for the size! :) However, after playing just two songs, it started skipping, and the sound kept going in & out. :( No matter what I did, or what music I tried to play, it never went back to playing normally. To get this "Bluetooth" speaker to work properly, I have to plug it directly into whatever device with which I attempt to use it. :((
VERY disappointed. I should not have to connect the speaker with a cord to use it. Isn't the whole point of a Bluetooth device that you DON'T have to connect it?? Don't know what to do about this, but I probably am far less likely to purchase from here in the future. :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, August 22, 2013
We purchased this nifty player since we enjoy listening to music throughout our home. We already have a Jambox and wanted to give this one a shot because the pricing was much better. The box has the same features, even has the same appearance. Most importantly, we were thoroughly impressed with the quality of sound. We use the bluetooth from our Iphone 5's just fine. Our Photive has only been used a few times and so far no complaints. Great purchase in my opinion.