5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product to Expand a Standard Light Fixture
Published on January 17, 2010 by G. Cox

1.0 out of 5 stars very very dangerous product exploded in my face
This product exploded in my face the minute I plugged in. The wiring inside melted creating and awful smell. Terrible item and cannot recommend to anybody.
Published on January 21, 2012 by wassif

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product to Expand a Standard Light Fixture, January 17, 2010
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
This is a great product. I just ordered another one. I gambled that this was a screw in assembly. Originally I was wondering if it had wires on the back side. So now you know that it screws into a normal light socket. I am using this quad socket in my attic to improve the lighting effectiveness. There isn't much of a way to elaborate except to say the construction seems solid. The packaging is very good and the price is reasonable. Just to repeat, the part of the picture you cannot see is a standard screw just like the base of a standard incandescent bulb. So you can just screw this into a standard light socket and it converts a single socket into a quad socket. Obviously it will take up a fair amount of space when the four bulbs are screwed in, so take that into consideration. I tried to screw 4 flood lights into the fixture and I was only able to screw in two of the four. I used two regular light bulbs and two flood lights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made solid design, February 20, 2010
Troy H (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
I use this adapter with a socket extender because it would not fit in my lighting head. I had put it to use as an extra growing light but the weight of four high output CFL bulbs with an extender is stressful on the base socket. The adapter itself is built very well though most extenders are very cheaply made as with sockets found on most cheap lighting heads. I also have 2-socket Y adapters which can be found on Amazon and in most hardware stores but the build quality on this 4-socket is far superior.

Judging by current reviews a substitute product was being shipped Flashpoint 4 Socket Adapter which is not the same. If the box you receive is not by WESTCOTT and does not have a UPC sticker showing 817967004138 you did not get the adapter advertised here. There are many third party merchants who mislabel products by adding them to listings with good feedback in order to sell junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bargain, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
We use soft box lighting in both the studio and on location. We always use CFLs/LEDs because of their low power draw. But, we also need a lot of light much of the time and single CFLs and LEDs only crank out so many lumens. But, FOUR CFLs or LEDs frequently get the job done and that brings the need for this device. Some of these adapters on the market are pure junk, but this one is of good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great with 4 Phillips 60W LED Bulbs, July 23, 2012
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
I can't find anything "cheap" about this product. The construction of the two I've bought was solid. The 4 lamp sockets are plastic but they work fine with my bulbs. I've used 2 of these in table lamps with 4 Phillips 60W (equivalent) LED bulbs. I used a porcelain socket extender to raise the base above the bend in the harp. This arrangement replaced 2 CFL's, draws less power, and puts out more light. My goal is to replace the CFL's that were shoved down our throats by lawyers that don't know the difference between real technology and their backsides.

1.0 out of 5 stars very very dangerous product exploded in my face, January 21, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and small, fit some large bulbs., February 15, 2011
Lorax (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
This is a high quality piece of gear. Most importantly, it's just the right size; they considered the engineering carefully so it's strong enough not to flop around or melt, yet small enough not to waste any extra space. It's supposedly rated at 30 watts per outlet but I wouldn't hesitate to put in much more powerful bulbs.

I'm using it with softboxes from photobasics.net which were designed for a single 500w incandescent photoflood. I'm trying to stuff as many watts of cool flourescent into them as possible. I started out with two 85W CFLs. They fit in diagonal opposite sockets with an inch to spare between fixtures. These 85W lights are however long enough that the ends of the bulbs touch the softlight fabric. They are cool enough that I don't think this is a safety issue, but it makes for hotspots on the softbox rather than smooth highlights.

So the next thing I'm going to try is fitting in four 45 Watt flourescents instead. I think this will work because the 85Watt flourescents had bases just barely too wide to fit them in adjacent outlets... I'm assuming the 45W bulbs will have smaller bases so they should fit, and their shorter length should reduce hotspotting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, July 26, 2010
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
Very pleased. Reasonably sturdy construction but light weight. Using it with four 45 watt CFLs, no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved by sockets, August 22, 2012
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
Ordered a cheap continuous light kit, but the stand-alone kit didn't produce enough light. Someone who ordered a very similar kit to mine suggested this adapter with 4 white light bulbs and it made a huge difference. Item was packaged well, all sockets work, I use these bulbs with this adapter and can shoot at a fast enough shutter speed I don't need to use a tripod even when no other light sources are on in the room and it's night time. This little gizmo saved my continuous lighting kit from being sent back. I also don't need to use my speedlite with this like I did with the stock continuous lighting kit. This much light does give off a good deal of heat, but it's tolerable.

2.0 out of 5 stars warning!, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
VERY VERY cheaply made, a few changes of bulbs and you can expect it to strip or crack. I bought two of these and two weeks later they are both in the trash!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Bulb socket adaptor, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter (Electronics)
A great way to increase lighting for a specific area. Does not have directional flexibility per socket, but space is limited. Will not easily accommodate some flared spot type bulbs.

Photo Basics 413 4-Socket Adapter