5.0 out of 5 stars A user guide to the Canon S100
Alexander White has written the definitive guide to the Canon Powershot S100. It more than takes the place of the user guide Canon provides online and on the included CD. It is much, much easier to use and understand.

Published on January 25, 2012 by Kingsmaiden

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what I needed
I was surprise to find that it is just a printout of what you can find on line. It is a lot of pages printed out then spiral bound. I certainly could have done that myself, but since I did not want to that in the first place, this was the ticket. Works fine, just a surprise. Not as it appears in the Amazon shot.
Published 16 months ago by Renee Evanoff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A user guide to the Canon S100, January 25, 2012

Mr. White writes clearly and simply. The book is set in a bold clear type face which is a joy to read. He includes example photographs to make his points clear, and perhaps most importantly of all, there is a detailed index and a full Contents. You will be able to find exactly what you are looking for very quickly.

BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference guide for the Canon S100, February 9, 2012
Gadgetman (Saratoga, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Photographer's Guide to the Canon PowerShot S100 is a great supplement to the S100 user manual. The book covers all the functions of the S100. It also provides in-depth details and techniques on some of the key features of the S100 including example usages and photos(eg white-balancing, bracketing, and control ring functions). The instructions are pretty easy to follow and the book can be easily carried around as a handy reference whenever we need it.

The book also provides some handy website references in the appendix sections for accessories and user groups for the S100.

Overall, this reference guide would help us to maximize the potentials of this great S100 camera. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version has very poor pictures on my Ipad2, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Photographer's Guide to the Canon PowerShot S100 (Kindle Edition)
I was all excited to read a complete guide to my new S100. The text is fine and the explanations are very clear, but the pictures used as illustration are practically useless. There are fewer pictures than I would have expected, though that wasn't really an issue. The picture quality certainly was. To see them on the iPad screen you need to expand them. Under any magnification, the resolution is so poor as to make the picture useless as an example of what the author intends to show. In some cases, it's so bad that the icon he talks about is invisible with all the pixelation. I would return this book if it was possible.

Update:
Amazing Amazon! They immediately refunded my money, and I since went to Whiteknightexpress, (at the author's suggestion), and d/l'd the PDF to my PC and I'm now a happy camper, changing my rating to 4 stars. It would be 5, but being a visual type I like LOTS of pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-Have for S100 owners, June 13, 2012
We enjoyed Alex White's earlier books on the Canon PowerShot G10/G11 and G12, and he carries that expertise over to his treatise on the more compact, but very similar PowerShot S100 model. This is a point and shoot camera for the thinking photographer, and its small size holds a lot of potential. White shows you exactly how to wring all that potential from the camera with his concise and complete explanations of all the camera controls and menu options. If you just want to point and shoot, the S100 will do the job for you, but if you want to go beyond that you really need this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible reference for the Canon S100, January 14, 2013
Roger J. Buffington (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a very well-written guide to the superb Canon S100. I am a busy guy, so I appreciate something that helps me get through the learning curve on a new camera, and this Guide did that nicely. This is a very thorough, easy-to-follow aftermarket manual for the S100 and it is quite a bit more readable than the PDF manual that is available for the S100 from Canon. This one is easy to read; I found myself more or less reading it like a novel, camera in hand, and when I found new settings or whatnot for the camera as I read, I would stop and play with the new setting until I understood it. When I worked through the Guide in this fashion, I found that I had learned quite a few new things about the S100. I had not bought a new pocket camera for over 7 years, so I had a lot to learn and this book pretty much got me up to speed on many new and unfamiliar features and capabilities of the S100. The best part, of course, is that this is a Kindle book, so I have it permanently loaded both on my iPad and my iPhone. Both or at least one or the other are usually along with me when I am shooting, so the Guide is always available as a quick reference if I need it.

This is a nifty little book that is well worth the purchase price. RJB.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what I needed, August 23, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Supplement to Manual, February 4, 2013
The book is OK as a supplement for, not a replacement of, the manual. The manual is shorter, yet has more comprehensive illustrations. The book is written conversationally rather than as a to-the-point reference volume. The book's index is much better than the manual's, but still incomplete, e.g., no entries for "LCD" (it's called the display), "light" or "low-light." The text omits some simple things, e.g., how to turn on the display without extending the lens. (Press playback.) The search function on the Kindle version is OK, but does not allow searching for multiple words that don't appear in the order searched, e.g., "display" and "playback". It also doesn't highlight what's found. The table of contents has no page numbers, but entries do link to the pages. The index begins with an alphabet list for quick-link to the index section for that letter, but it invariably ends up a letter or two off. The few pages of appendices are informative. The Kindle's ability to highlight and add notes is very helpful. The book is worth the Kindle price, not the hardcopy price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a beginner like me, June 11, 2012
I am pretty new to photography. I still get confused about what ISO, Fstop, White balance, shutter speed, etc mean. This book is awesome at walking me through using my new Canon s100. I am only half way through the book and it's gone through all the main functionality of my camera. I am hoping the latter half of the book is more about when to use specific settings to take the best shots. Even if it doesn't cover that in depth it is a must have IMO for any new s100 owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars My friendly assistant., November 15, 2012
The book has helped me enormously in making full use of the S100. This allows it to come up to its expectations. The manual is very clear in its explanations and I look forward to its continued assistance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot S100 Manual, November 14, 2012
Very pleased with the manual. Lovely book the size of a novel, extremely well set out and printed on high quality paper.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›