Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on July 4, 2009
I guess I was expecting more photography tips in here, such as optimal locations and times for landscape shots in Yosemite. The majority of this book is more general information about the park, hiking trails, length of time, etc. We already had an excellent book with better information on those topics. I was looking for a more specific photography book, and this is not it.
on April 2, 2008
This book has beautiful photographs that well illustrate what is possible when attempting to capture Yosemite's splendor. The size is really nice. Easy to throw in your day pack and take along on an excursion.

The discussions on photographic technique are short and to the point. There is just enough information to get an understanding of what the latest digital camera equipment is capable of and how to achieve it without getting overly technical.

Mr. Davis has obviously spent a lot of time in Yosemite at numerous locations and in a variety of weather conditions. There are great descriptions on how to find photographic vantage points. The text also contains valuable tips on the practical aspects of getting around the park, obtaining permits, and how to prepare. I especially liked the section on the High Sierra trails and backcountry travel.

I strongly advise getting this book well in advance of your arrival. Its information will be a great aid in planning your time inside the park.
on September 18, 2009
This book was a big disappointment for me. I know quit a bit about certain areas of the Sierra (Sequoia/Kings Canyon) and not much about other areas, so I can only speak to the areas I know. If the rest of the book is comparable to the sections on Seq/Kings then this book is almost completely worthless. Unlike other, more useful photography guides, this book does not offer any technical details about the photographs that are featured, and it doesn't offer any technical advice about best times of day, vantage points, or times of year to visit specific locations. In fact if there was one thing that sums up this book it would be a complete lack of specifics. It is just a gloss over the most obvious locations in the Sierra. If you are a complete newbie to the Sierra, then this book could be very useful, but if you have any knowledge of the Sierra this book will probably only tell you less than you already know.
on March 30, 2008
This book was so-so in my mind. There are a lot of pictures but I had a hard time relating the discussion to where exactly they were referring to on the map. I'd need more information before I travel to Yosemite on a photography trip and will be doing more research as this book didn't have enough "meat" in it for me. It should have covered Yosemite in more detail and left out the High Sierra or vice versa.
on August 5, 2012
This guide will get you to the better known photography spots in Yosemite National Park. Like many other reviewers have pointed out, the book is light on specific information. Suggestions about lenses, time of day, and season are incomplete throughout the book.

If you are purchasing this book thinking that it will cover any details about the High Sierra; then, I suggest that you look elsewhere. That said, I am not aware of any guidebook that covers photography in the High Sierra.

If I was to make suggestions for improvement of this book I would suggest some coverage of the High Sierra region of Yosemite National Park. For example, Cathedral Peak from the Cathedral Lakes is spectacular. Sunset at either of the lakes is spectacular. I particularly like the view of the peak and Upper Cathedral Lake with a wide angle lens at sunset. Both lakes are great for short overnight backpacking trips; or, day hikes with a hike out after sunset.

Other suggestions would be:
Lyell Canyon, The Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne, Little Yosemite Valley, and the lakes around Vogelsgang Pass.

Further afield, there are many places along the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Trail that are awesome. Any book that claims to cover photography of the High Sierra would have to cover the following places. This book omits them.
The lakes above Devil's Postpile deserve many visits. I particularly like the view of Lake Ediza with the Ritter Range in the background. A wide angle lens will cover the lake and the Ritters in the same frame.
The Lakes of Evolution Valley are spectacular.
The Rae Lakes are worthwhile. A wide lens will cover one of the the lakes and Fin Dome.
Precipice and Hamilton Lakes below Kaweah Gap are also deserving of many visits. Ansel's image of Precipice Lake is one of my personal favorites.
on September 20, 2008
This small book of helpful description and gorgeous photos fit easily on top of everything else in my backpack, so I took it along to Yosemite. There I discovered that I could have bought it at the local bookstore in a small town just outside the park! I was glad to see it shelved nearby, ready for someone else to appreciate. I recently gave up hiking photography with my grandfather's ancient Leica, so I needed inspiration to develop some intimacy with the much lighter and more versatile digital replacement. Although obviously more useful in its point and shoot ease, the digital camera seemed so impersonal. But it isn't, as this book logically and concisely explains and illustrates, without coming off at all like a manual. It was a pretty entertaining read, actually. It also does pretty good double-service as a Yosemite tour guide! If I have to suggest a weakness, it would be that there is no index that summarizes all of the camera settings of the photos in the book.
on April 3, 2008
This is a very inviting book. The information in it is put very clearly. The photos and the tone of the book are extremely inspirational. The author obviously knows whereof he speaks.
on May 26, 2013
Went to yosemite in April with a photography club. Got this book and Fyre's as well. Fyre's was much more useful for the park. This one was oK. I got this one for areas outside of Yosemite, and I guess if you know nothing about the Sierra Nevada this book is a start. But I do know the sierra, and I got very little out of the book.