4.0 out of 5 stars Good value
Published on February 16, 2009 by Doug K.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
Published on March 14, 2010 by LNK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, February 16, 2009
This review is from: 2 Photography Studio Continuous Lighting Kits with two free Day-Light CFL Lights and Umbrellas for Product,Portrait and Video Shoot (Electronics)
Very good value for the price. If you are planning on using them in a portrait studio setting, you will probably want to replace the bulbs with 55W or higher bulbs, unless you are planning to use these only for shadow fill. The other thing is the lights that come with this are supposed to be daylight bulbs, but for some reason if I set my camera to daylight with these bulbs the pictures are extremely yellow, and I have to modify the color temp in the RAW editor to about 4300 to get normal skin tones. So again you may just want to throw these bulbs away and put your own in, that way you are certain the light temp will match your other lights. Other than that this is adequate equipment.. not overly sturdy, but will serve it's purpose. Again, a good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and does the job!, April 29, 2009
Tina V (Twin Cities, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these for my home studio and it does a great job. It doesn't come with instructions, but very easy to assemble. The great things about these is that you can replace them w/ daylight bulbs at your retail stores. It maybe a littl loose, but just make sure the light is tilted upwards where it will stay in place and works just fine. I would recommend this for starters and great price for 40in umbrellas! I would order thru this co. again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, March 14, 2010
I am an advanced amateur trying to take my photography to the next level. First the good....Stands are light and really I have nothing to compare the build quality to but I am quite the klutz and don't think I could easily tear them up. I find the umbrellas a little too small to suit my style/needs. They're useable, but I'm glad I already had a much larger umbrella.

Now the bad-the lights that come with it are not bright enough. If your subject is perfectly still they are ok. But I use my setup for shooting toddlers. The lights alone aren't enough. The shutter speed I have to use with my canon 50D in order to expose adequately is not fast enough to capture a toddler. All you get is blur. I attempted to use these lights with my vivitar 285hv flash thinking they could be fill lights or that I could use my flash to illuminate backgrounds and these as main lights. Not so. My flash, even on 1/16 power, completely overpowers both these lights together. So until I can buy brighter bulbs, these lights are only useful to focus by. They aren't doing me much good as actual lights. My good ol' vivitar remains my key light. Luckily I like it.

If I set my white balance to daylight the color of these bulbs is decent. The few shots I took with just those lights I didn't color correct in photoshop. Though sometimes I do think they have a slight color cast. Take this review for what its worth. Hope it helps.

Just as a note: I didn't bump up my ISO. I think I would have really had to give it a boost and to me, what good is studio lighting if you have to bump up the ISO and risk noisy photos?

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget Film lights that don't look like construction gear, August 26, 2011
I was looking for a good set of lights to use in my home studio, I do a lot of green screen work and mainly work with video and film people for a long time during a shoot, 2-3 hours at a time or more. I tried the "budget" method and and got two work lights from a home repair store, those suckers are heavy, clunky and offer harsh yellow light. They also seemed to burn brighter than the sun and two of the bulbs burned out. I was melting my actors and washing them out, I had to find something better.

So I stumbled on this and was almost confused, it was cheaper than my "budget" plan and the quality of the lights are better than I expected. They are light weight, strong, clear and don't burn too hot. The supplied umbrellas worked great for what I needed and I couldn't be happier. The gear packs up and is light weight, which also means it isn't the sturdiest thing in the world, but you are most likely shooting with these on sets or for pictures, not wrestling with them or taking out on the road, they should work fine for your needs. They are no where near the pro level, but cheaper, easier and insanely better than the "budget" do it your self kits I found. The lights provide clean white light that doesn't over power the subject, the lights can be used direct or with the reflect/shine through umbrellas. I'm not that versed on lighting, but the white umbrellas work better as shine through lights, not reflecting.

Pros: Low cost, light weight and won't set the house on fire with the power of a thousand suns. Easily replaced lights
Cons: Not built for rough handling, light bulb grip seems flimsy, screw the light gently

Over all, you can't find a better bargain price for decent studio lights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good, reliable product., March 7, 2010
I received my lights sooner than expected. The shipping was fast and affordable. The lights provide quality, affordable lighting. I replaced the bulbs that came with it with a higher wattage, but kept the original bulbs because you never know when you are going to need a quick replacement, or just a little less light. This is my first continuous lighting set and the quality it adds to a photo in comparison with a strobe set alone is phenomenal. I would highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, June 5, 2009
takoyaki (Bay Area, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
After fooling around with custom lighting solutions for a while (desk lamps and tracing paper diffusers), this was a welcome upgrade to my setup. I've only been doing product photography for about a year, but was able to notice quite an improvement moving to these lights. The bulbs included aren't terribly bright so you'll probably have to upgrade if you're not capturing motionless objects. My shots at 100 ISO, f/3ish~f/5ish generally require 1/10s up to 1/4s or more for shutter speed when using only these lights.

Bottom line, seems like you get what you pay for. A nice beginner set to give you a taste of better lighting.

4.0 out of 5 stars studio lights, May 18, 2010
I needed lighting for shooting indoor video and found these umbrella lights on Amazon. I ordered them and they came to my door a day later! Great shipping service from these guys. The lights were packed well and easy to set up. They are working very well for my application and I am pleased with the price and performance. No more shadows when we are shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this kit!, January 9, 2013
This kit is perfect for the non-professional. I'm a youtuber and I was constantly having issues with getting good lighting to record my videos. I had hoped this kit would solve the problem for me, and it does! I can record wherever I want now because these lights provide the perfect balance of light for me and make my videos look crisp and clean. Great for novice photography as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire Hazard, September 16, 2013
Sand Rabbit "sand rabbit" (benton harbor, michigan) - See all my reviews
We purchased this light kit to use in a bridal dressing room. When my assistant plugged it in for the first time directly into an electrical outlet, the electrical cord on the light kit started on fire. Gratefully, she wasn't hurt and the room didn't catch on fire as both the floor and walls are made of concrete. She was shaken up with all the smoke. The coating on the electrical cord of the light appears to be extremely thin...FYI: We had our electrical outlet checked out and it is in proper working condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Electrical Fire, July 27, 2013
So one of them worked good and one of them had faulty wiring. Burnt out my bulb, caught the whole cord on fire at once and melted it. Filled the room with smoke and it was not the best experience.

Rate and Discover Movies