Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on August 18, 2008
I've had this book in my library for over a year before I really got into it this week. I wish I had done that much sooner! Unlike many comprehensive books such as Martin Evening's Photoshop for Photographers, you really don't just pick this book up to spruce up your knowledge of some feature like say 'channel masks'. This book is much more of a programmed instruction book that leads you step by step (or tutorial by tutorial) into a rather comprehensive knowledge of Photoshop.

I think this book is best for someone who's played with Photoshop and is now ready to move into a more professional approach to images. If your just starting out something like How to Wow might be a better book. It worked for me and got me familiar with some of the essential techniques.

However, Artistry builds skill in a logical progression getting as detailed as needed to build a solid foundation of understanding about how things work 'under the hood'. It then goes on to give you a structured professional approach to your images through the use of very thorough tutorials. While they have good background sections on some topics like masks, you only really get into the more professional practices as you go through the tutorials. These tutorials are not a bunch of gimmicks or special purpose techniques but they are well structured approaches that will serve you well in everything that you do.

Some discussions such as actions, blending modes, and masks are the best I have read. Their discussion of blending modes, for example, finally helped my understand WHY I'd want to use each mode. Most writers just explain what they do but not why you'd want to use it - generally with the suggestion to scroll through the modes and pick the best one. This is just one example of how this book gives you useful structured knowledge.

I'd suggest the knowledge level provided by this book is intermediate to advanced, and that you'll be best served by it if you've struggled a little already with some of the more advanced Photoshop techniques. This book is at its best for landscape photographers, but certainly very useful for others. For example, they have some very nice sections on compositing. But if you're interested in professional portraits, you'll need to go further than what's here.
on April 24, 2007
I just received this book and I'm quite disappointed. Firstly if you are familiar with Photoshop you may find this book way too basic. Even if you are a beginner there are better and more thorough books to help you master Photoshop. This book doesn't examine topics in depth enough to serve as a good teaching aid.

If you are an advanced user looking to learn something new, this book is not the place to find it. While I'm sure that it has some merit, I personally found it too shallow in its coverage; nether suitable for the beginner nor the experienced user.
VINE VOICEon January 23, 2008
Last year I finally moved up to CS2 from Elements, about a month before CS3 was released. I got a good discount from Adobe, and decided to commit. Perusing the reviews of many of the CS2 manuals here, I found this one and recognized Barry's name from some articles he had written for Photo Techniques magazine. I decided to buy the book and have not regretted it one bit. The clarity and intelligence of the authors' style is apparent from the beginning. The most important lesson for me was Barry's detailed description of the workflow he uses to take his images from RAW to print. I had the opportunity to attend his workshop last summer and he reviewed much of the material in his book. He is a marvelous teacher, and his co-authors also do a fine job with their specific chapters. I have incorporated Barry's techniques into my own work, and am impressed at the difference it makes in my prints. If you have CS2 and are confused about how to approach enhancing your digital images, this book will help you immensely!
on February 11, 2008
This book is excellent, things are explained in very simple terms and his exercises work perfectly and are easy to follow. The book comes with a DVD of high quality images for you to work on. Barry Haynes is a photographer and also conducts workshops at his home at Gibsons, British Columbia, Canada. I first learned about him from his articles in "Photo techniques Magazine" and found his instructions easy to understand. I really prize this book and recommend it to anyone who wants to learn digital workflow using Photoshop.
on March 1, 2009
This book is a good overview to a very complex software. I am enjoying following the lessons in the book.
on February 24, 2008
The book is very well written, but I have some difficulty undertanding some of the instructions partly because I have a diificult time seeing the changes to the photos in the lessons and am just learning Photoshop. While the book is written for CS2, I am using CS3 and Photoshop CS3. The CD is good and easy to follow with the text and lessons.
on July 16, 2014
I have not used it much but a good reference.
on October 6, 2008
The book arrived in excellent condition. It also arrived very quickly. It was exactly what I was looking for.
on February 12, 2007
bought brand new -- but it looked used when it got here - front cover was torn and the pages were folded together -- the book itself is useful for photoshop
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse