Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Photoshop CS3 for Nature Photographers: A Workshop in a Book (Tim Grey Guides)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 30, 2007
I have added this very nice book to my already rich collection of Photoshop books because I was mainly attracted
by the concept of Nature that was missing in my arsenal, and because I wished learning more about the new
features of Photoshop CS3 ( that I've recently bought), such as Adobe Camera Raw, Smart Objects, Quick Selection Tool,
and the new Panorama tool.
Under its very appealing graphic appearance I found all the responses I've expected, every topic being
exposed in a natural and direct way.
I also found very useful the tutorials and the examples on the accompanying CD, as well
as the contents of the Authors' Web Sites.
I recommend this book to everybody willing go deeper into the art if photographic imaging, to the experts as well as the novices
on Photoshop CS3.
Mario Console
on February 23, 2008
As a web designer I've been using Photoshop professionally for years. I've also worked on lots of photographs, both my own and those I've gotten from clients. I don't need a how to book on layers, cropping and levels. I've got a good understanding of the basic Photoshop tools, and have benefitted from Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS for Photographers. But Kelby's book is a recipe book both useful and well presented, but I want more.

What I want to do now is take my own photography to another level. Past a certain point, improving becomes less a matter of collecting tricks and recipes and more a matter of learning the entire workflow from experts. For that a basic how-to cookbook is no longer of much use to me. I could probably spend a lot of time working out a good workflow and set of procedures through trial and error, but why not take advantage of the experience of those who have already taken the art of nature photography editing to a high place?

Enter Photoshop CS3 for Nature Photographers. As one reviewer has stated, much of the introductory Photoshop material is covered in other books, but not in quite the same way. Photoshop has many tools, each of which has many settings and options. It's perfectly possible to be familiar with one tool or filter in one context and not realize that it can be used in combination with another tool to achieve a completely different result. I once read that when Einstein proposed his theory of relativity maybe three people in the world understood it. I wonder if more than three people in the world completely understand all of what can be done with Photoshop. What I was looking for and found here is an expansion of my Photoshop horizons, a deeper exploration of the art and science of nature photography and photo editing.

Anon and Grey offer an excellent look over the shoulder of experts in both practice of nature photography and in the use of Photoshop as a digital darkroom. I can't emphasize strongly enough how helpful that approach is for someone who has some Photoshop chops or who has used the program for another end and who wants to get great results with nature photos. Their workflow is time tested and produces excellent results

And nature photograph editing benefits from following a slightly different approach from that of product photography, with which I have some experience, portraiture, photojournalism and so on. Again, I'm struck with how specific and helpful the presented workflow, and the mindset that using such a workflow creates is. And placing editing in context with a specific photographic goal informs my picture taking too.

I recommend this book to anybody interested in nature photography who has at least some experience with Photoshop, though a dedicate beginner could work through the introductory phases with this volume. For someone who has used Photoshop in another context and wants to expand into the nature photography realm this book is brilliant.
on November 1, 2007
My skill level is intermediate.

I found the book very informative and helpful. The small add in clips from professional photographers is very worthwhile. Although many of the CS3 skills outlined in the text I was knowledgeable about, the book explained some of the reasons why we use such a method over another, and laid out the methodology in an easy to follow format. This has streamlined my workflow and stopped me second guessing - there are many ways to achieve the same thing in CS3. The last point is very important - if you are like me, you probably are getting good results already, but you are always wondering if this is the correct or best way to achieve something in CS3. This book will STOP second guessing.

The early chapters regarding histograms, shooting to the right, and how light photons are captured were also helpful and acted as a very good revision.

I would not hesitate to purchase this book if you intermediate or below.

Although the book is targeted at wildlife photographers, all the skills can equally be applied to landscape work.

A quick note regarding greenhorns; if I had this book when I started out on the digital highway it would have saved me hundreds of hours of wasted time searching the Internet, forums, and playing with CS, CS1 and CS2. I would recommend this book.
on July 26, 2007
Whether you are new to nature shooting or experienced, Ellen Anon and Tim Grey's book is sure to provide techniques, insights, and tips that you can put to use immediately and with excellent results. The authors take time to thoroughly explain complex concepts and techniques in easy-to-understand language and with excellent background that deepens your understanding of both the art and the science.

One of the primary advantages of this book is that it takes you step-by-step from exposing images in the field, through exposure and color adjustments in the digital darkroom, and finally to getting the best output on the printer. And as a bonus, this book includes great techniques for creative effects and for saving time during the workflow.

This is a must-have book for serious nature photographers--and for anyone who wants a complete guide to shooting, processing, and printing great digital images.

Charlotte Lowrie,
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/400D Digital Field Guide,
Canon EOS 30D Digital Field Guide, & Canon Eos Digital Rebel Digital Field Guide
on February 13, 2008
I bought this book based on several positive reviews and also because of the focus on "nature photography". I was not displeased with it, but I was kind of disappointed. Most of the techniques given were stuff that could be found in almost any of the "how-to" books on Photoshop. Mostly it was just workflow, and workflow for nature photography vs other types of photography is not so different that a whole book can (or should) be written about it. On the bright side, I did pick up a couple of tips and techniques that I hadn't seen in other books. I was also pleased to note that the authors drew a distinction between documentary nature photography and nature photography to "make a pretty picture". They feel that so long as the photograph is not said to be representational of a moment in time, there's nothing wrong with compositing and modifying it to make it more aesthetically pleasing or artistic. Some of the resulting compositions are fabulous, and capture the "mood" of a scene beautifully. Since most readers of this book are likely to be shooting for their own pleasure primarily, this was good information.

Bottom line - if you have other Photoshop CS3 "how-to" books, you can pass this up, as there's virtually nothing that hasn't been told many times over. But, if you're fairly new to PS, focus primarily on landscape and/or nature, and are only going to invest in a couple of "how-to" books, then go ahead and get this one.
on October 7, 2007
I've been using Lightroom 1.2 and Adobe Elements 3 and just started to move into Photoshop CS3, and was fortunate to find this book that (kind of) takes you by the hand and leads you through CS3. I like the in depth introduction that includs histograms and the way that a foundation for CS3 is set up for nature photographers. It is all presented in a simple and easy to understand way. What I also liked was that I can see that CS3 (in my humble opinion) makes a fine plug-in for Lightroom and I will probably never use Adobe Bridge. Sometimes a question would pop into my mind over what I was reading; a few lines later my question was answered. I needed this excellent book.
on January 14, 2008
This book is terrific. It gives a step-by-step process that walks you through numerous photo situations...e.g., How to make color corrections on only a part of your photo. He makes every word count, and doesn't include any "fluff" (non-essential information.)

I started underlining the sentences that I want to refer to later when I tackle a particular problem in a photo (like I did in my college textbooks) and found I underlined almost every sentence in the book.
on July 19, 2007
For any serious amateur to pro level photographer, this is a "no-brainer" book to own.

Ellen and Tim do a great job breaking down the software barriers to make our digital work easier
to conceive and to perform.

There is a wealth of information here.

After years of trying (unsuccessfully) to get through software manuals and books, this is the first book that we actually keep on our coffee table and take with us on the road. Even a perfunctory paging through will yield invaluable information in a concise, lucid prose.

Highly recommended!
on July 8, 2008
This is a pretty good book filled with quite a few tips. The writing style was difficult for me to enjoy per se but the content is there. It was extremely distracting however for nearly every photograph in the book to have the caption "Photo by Ellen Anon". Over and over and over....Even multiple steps in a procedure apparently required a credit on each photo. Just a small gripe but it would have been easier to say at the beginning all photos by Ellen Anon unless otherwise noted.
on January 20, 2008
I gave this book as a gift, so I am quoting the recipient:
"The book gives a clear, well-written overview of both basic and advanced photoshop techniques geared toward editing nature photographs. One of the strenghts of the book is that it presents the differing views and techniques of two seasoned and highly skilled photographers. The explanations are clear, and the book proceeds logically through the various steps associated with the tools and features of photoshop CS3. A special treat are the beautiful photographs that illustrate the techniques discussed in the book. The methods presented by the authors are not necessarily limited to nature photography, and can be applied to a broad range of photographic subject matter. Very highly recommended."