4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for people moving up to CS5 quickly
Published on July 16, 2010 by Winter

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad it was cheap
Published on July 10, 2011 by T. Breslin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for people moving up to CS5 quickly, July 16, 2010
This review is from: Photoshop CS5: Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks (Paperback)
I have been using Photoshop since version 3 and CS5 (version 12) has a few new bells and whistles and this book is excellent at revealing them to experienced Photoshop users. There are always the 3 inch thick PS "bibles" that get published that provide broad coverage of everything in Photoshop but as a whole they are a lot less useful than the more focused guides such as this one.

I much prefer to use a book for learning about Photoshop features and how to best use them. That way I can refer to the book while working on an actual image on the computer. Many of the books on Photoshop are so deficient in clear illustrations as to make this process useless. Not so with this book where the steps are clearly illustrated with screen captures which include the dialog boxes as well. Basic stuff you might think, but something that is absent from 90% of the books on Photoshop.

Probably about a third is pretty basic and will be of little use to experienced Photoshop users but the remaining two-thirds is well worth the cost of this book. I looked around quite a while at different books on CS5 and this was the best I could find at providing an introduction into the use of the new capabilities of this latest edition from Adobe.

This book is clearly enough written and illustrated for even a novice to use and benefit and at the same time it is a very fast way for an experienced Photoshop user to get up to speed quickly and for general use as a reference when you cannot remember how to exactly do something with Photoshop.

What anyone who has slogged through the Kirby books will appreciate is that the authors put their egos aside and provide only relevant information in a very concise manner. This is a real time saver and I know in the future that if I do get other books on CS5 this book will be the one I probably go to first for a quick answer. This book was put together by instructional pros and not by people who know Photoshop but are not very effective at transferring that knowledge to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative, Effective Format, October 10, 2010
Brett Merkey (Palm Harbor, FL United States) - See all my reviews
§
I usually quickly pass over books on the store shelf with titles that include words like "visual" or "simplified" or "in 24 hours" or "for dummies". Despite experiences to the contrary, I am reluctant to voluntarily toss myself into the dummy demographic bin. If I shell out money for a book, it is because I am serious about the subject -- and the book, with all its distilled knowledge, should serve as a reachable resource on the shelf next to the computer.

This is one of those shelfable books.

Keeping text to a minimum, the author provides step-by-step instructions for dealing with a large array of problems most commonly encountered by the type of people who enter the Photoshop swamp. I have some other, very nice, Photoshop books but the tightly organized and compact format of this one means that the guidance I want is close at hand and presented far more professionally than available in an internet search.

My main critcism of the book is the same I have for most Photoshop books: it has a bias toward photographers. We unwashed Web and UI designers are forced to pick up valuable scraps where we can find them.

Recommended for no-nonsense, non-dummy types.
§

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad it was cheap, July 10, 2011
At least the Kindle version was cheap. I found very little in this book that isn't covered in every other very basic Photoshop book. It was definitely simplified. If you are a beginner and want some basic PS instruction in small bites, you might like this. Personally, I was hoping for more intermediate or advanced lessons simplified. This is just the basics made brief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop CS5: Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks (Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks), March 26, 2011
Susan Mazur (Natrona Heights, PA, US) - See all my reviews
I've been using Photoshop since 1992, but I was surprised at all the cool stuff I didn't know about in this program. I had actually started getting into it and was so impressed with what I was learning that I thought it would be a good resource for my niece, who is currently taking photoshop courses in college with instructors who leave much to be desired. She loved the book so much that I purchased a second copy for her to keep as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a Photoshop starter, December 26, 2011
ritewinger (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book would be very good for someone just starting in Photoshop, gets to the basics of a VERY deep program. Not for the seasoned user that's doing detailed work or compositions, but as I stated well suited for a newb....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most comprehensive, well organised easy reads I have found!, July 12, 2011
Just wanted let everyone know and to say thank you to Lynette for producing an easy to follow, understand, extremely well organized and content filled book. Further I was super excited to see it already available for Kindle. Although I have had CS5 Master Suite for over a year now (*those who have learned this in the past know the curve)...I am just starting to finally rap my head around some of the finer points of CS5 Photoshop, Bridge (*of course mini bridge) and Lightroom 3. However I am still trying like a bald tired monster motored hot rod in the mud, to get moving on learning most of the rest of CS5 still (did I mention I have master suite), but Photoshop along with OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite, Topaz Labs Suite and Unified Colors Suites have been my primary focus.

Lynette, Your book will aid in my learning more than you may ever know. I was a top IT OP's/Deployment manager until a torn retina cost me most of my vision. That, coupled with other heath issues left me with little more than the taking/playing with a photo here & there and that is all I have left (yep - blind photographer, what a concept!). So this really has so far been and no doubt will continue to be a fun read, Again Thank You and as always - Cheers! Brad

4.0 out of 5 stars Top 100 Simplified Tip & Tricks for Photoshop CS5, April 18, 2011
P. McKnight (West Covina, Ca, USA) - See all my reviews
Excellent and Simple. Great Tips for beginner user's of Photoshop CS5. Illustrations are displayed well in this book and very easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to get you going with new stuff, October 24, 2010
Yakkster (CA, Foothills) - See all my reviews
As a long time Photoshop user with two thick dusty books on CS3 I decided I'd try something lighter in cost, weight, and subject depth. I wanted a book to help get me going with CS5's new features. This was OK for that and a bit more giving me a few tips & tricks I wish I'd known for previous PS versions. I feel it was a good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the trick but very elementary, August 22, 2010
I bought this book in hoping to find some hidden gem like unpublished shortcuts but it's just a bread & butter instruction menu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
Excellent book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Photoshop CS5: Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks
Photoshop CS5: Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks by Lynette Kent (Paperback - June 28, 2010)
$24.99 $15.96