O'Reilly's "Missing Manual" series claims each of their titles is "The book that should have been in the box". While I can't speak for the entire series, I have purchased and used several of them, including the missing manuals for three different versions of Photoshop Elements (PSE).

PSE 10 is very similar at the user interface level to versions 8 and 9, and...
Published on November 20, 2011 by 35-year Technology Consumer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you are already familiar with PhotoShop
Published on July 13, 2012 by Dannyboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes...this is indeed the manual that should have been in the box!, November 20, 2011
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)

PSE 10 is very similar at the user interface level to versions 8 and 9, and it is --like its predecessor versions-- extremely feature dense. This makes it both a powerful digital image editor, and a potential well of frustration for users. While PSE 10 includes some automated and guided image editing functions, users hoping to harness its full power will achieve this sooner if they grab some help. Barbara Brundage offers this assistance in a detailed guide that explores the higher functions of PSE, while respecting the challenges many readers may have in grasping complex technology.

Brundage offers both conceptual overviews and tutorials of PSE 10'as interface and functions. She effectively breaks down the the concepts of file management, basic editing, image manipulation and sharing of the results of these digital editing techniques.

This book is particularly effective in addressing the two areas that can lead to delight --or despair-- among would-be photo editors: selection and layering in PSE.

The conceptual discussions and tutorials in this book are intelligently discussed and laid out in good detail. The companion materials to this book are online ("the missing CD"), and include links to sample images used for demonstrations in the book, and to other online resources to assist with PSE mastery. The author and creative team both have links to their own websites and email addresses listed in the introduction. You will also see that I have responded directly to other reviewers' comments. This indicates strong ownership and a high level of accessibility. In addition, the author readily --and correctly-- points out that many high quality step-by-step guides to most things you might want to do are readily found on popular video sites.

Two things to note before diving into this book and your PSE 10 experience:
the appendix to the book is found at the rear, and addresses installation issues. This wpould be better placed at the front and combined with the "what's new" portion, since install issues are the first pitfall area that users could encounter. Finally, sometimes the book gushes just a bit about the overall capabilities of PSE ("while it's doing wonderful things to your picture..."). These are minor points, and in no way diminish from the overall usefulness of this must have reference for users of PSE 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements 10 - the missing manual, Barbara Brundage, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Highly recommended I have been teaching Photoshop Elements since version 7 and have used Ms. Brundage's series of books for version 7, 8, and 9. This book is an A to Z manual on Photoshop Elements. One feature I particularly like is that the author lists a number of websites for additional material such as plug-ins. Also, she will reference a book not published by O'Reilly, an action for which both the author and publisher deserve credit.

As the author states in her introduction, this is a how and when book. The book instructs one how to use various techniques and tools, as well as when not to use them. In addition to the book content, one can go to the O'Reilly website to download additional material that is pertinent so that one can better complete various exercises in the book.

The bottom line; if you use Photoshop Elements 10, buy this book.

Charles Heisterkamp, III, M.D.
Photographer

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements 10 Missing Manual, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I teach Photoshop Elements at a local educational organization. We have been using Elements 6, and we plan to upgrade to Elements 10 for the forthcoming year. Therefore I ordered "Photoshop Elements 10 - the Missing Manual"
My review of this book can be very brief. It is, quite simply, THE BEST ! Every user of ANY version of Photoshop Elements should have it. It is very comprehensive, and is written in easy-to-understand language. Everything is clearly explained. What more could one want ? STRONGLY RECOMMENDED !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars no panacea, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Like any complicated program I have tried to use, Photoshop Elements 10 is difficult to learn on your own so I purchased "Photoshop Elements 10 the missing manual" from Amazon to help me along. And it does help but if you think you can open the book and have it lead you by the hand one, two, three, you will be disappointed. The book is just as complicated and labyrinthine as Photoshop itself.

I sit with Elements 10 up and running on my computer and and the missing manual open and go back and forth between the two, sometimes trying to understand the program by reading the book and sometimes reading the program to understand the book.

To be fair, for the same reasons many of us find new and complicated computer programs daunting, it may be impossible to write a book so as to present the program in the way many of us have learned to think and use logic.

The author is articulate and interesting and I do recommend "Photoshop Elements 10 the missing manual" for the same reason I recommend Photoshop itself but with the same proviso, don't expect to open either and easily begin to understand and use Photoshop Elements 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you are already familiar with PhotoShop, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I am a novice to Photoshop so I found the book was less helpful regarding the basics than others who wrote a review. All I wanted to know initially was how to load up a photo from my picture file on my computer and to print it. After several minutes of futile searching through the book, I finally gave up and figured it out myself on the computer. My advice is to get on the web and view the YouTube videos of some of the basic features of PhotoShop. The book will be good once you learn the basics. I wish there were a simple "Photoshop for Dummies" version that doesn't go into all the more complicated stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I have always bought these "Missing Manuals" when I upgrade with my Photoshop Elements. Barara Brundage writes in a way the anyone can figure this program out. Ten stars for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A novice's view of The Missing Manual for Elements 10, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
As a newcomer to any of the Elements products I am finding this to be an absolute essential supplement to the often times onerous product manual. Written in plain English it is such a boon for those of us who often times struggle with "techno-lingo". I would strongly recommend this book to any beginner and I'm sure that many an "old hand" would find it helpful. A two thumbs-up for this reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent!, March 17, 2012
John C. Smith (Fredericksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
This instruction manual is a tremendous help in understanding the complexities of Photoshop Elements. I have limped along for years using bits and pieces of Elements but never got around to settling down and actually educating myself on this tremendous resource for photographers (especially beginners).

I am presently in the final chapters of the manual and am amazed at how much power and flexibility Elements brings to the table. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars PSE 10 Help, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Since I am a beginner, I was very impressed with this book and recommend it to anyone needing help to understand PSE 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm learning so many new things!, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Bought this book to accompany my recent birthday present of Photoshop Elements 10 and a new Canon camera. I had learned to use Photoshop in high school, but haven't had much practice since then and was therefore pretty rusty. Bought the book to catch me up, and I'm having the time of my life! It's hard for my husband to pull me off my computer once I get started editing! This book has helped me discover new ways to make my photos even better and more artistic. I definitely recommend this book!

Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual
Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manual by Barbara Brundage (Paperback - October 11, 2011)
Used & New from: $4.49