4.0 out of 5 stars Its Worth Depends on Whether You Have Prior Editions
I've been buying Scott and Matt's fabulous Elements books since version 7, so my review will be different from that of a first-time buyer.

Published on November 24, 2012 by grt0106

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Beginners
I like the writing style but this book just isn't for beginners. Mr. Kelby doesn't cover all the basic tools so I have no idea why I'm using a certain tool. I also bought his Lightroom 4 book and it was phenomenal! I was expecting the PSE 11 book to be similar but it's not. I'm sure once I have a better grasp of the basics this book will be very handy and make more sense.
Published 19 months ago by Lorena Rybick

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Worth Depends on Whether You Have Prior Editions, November 24, 2012
This review is from: The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)

The book states on page xvi that 11 is "one of the biggest upgrades yet" to Elements, however, there is not an awful lot in the book itself that is different from prior editions. In fact, many of the practice images are the same as in prior editions. But did I find enough new information to justify the price on Amazon?

The answer is that I did.

The chief attraction of Scott and Matt's Elements books is that the various sections do not build on previos sections. Therefore, if one's immediate need is to, say, remove dark circles from below a model's eyes, all one needs to do is go to the Contents pages and look at the list of topics for the chapter entitled "Retouch Me" and--Voila!--on p. 257 is the section Removing Dark Circles Under Eyes.

In summary, I would say that for new users of Elements 11 the book is a fabulous buy, even at the full retail price and for those of who have the previous editions it is a good buy (4 stars) at Amazon's steeply-discounted price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is the best of the how-to Elements books I have found., November 28, 2012
The other Elements how-to books say, "you can do this and you can do that", but few ever show you how to actually use Elements. This series is a collection of actual lessons you can do. You can even download many of the photos used in the book to do the lessons. Now it is my primary Photoshop Elements resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, December 6, 2012
N. Peralta (Buena Park, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Kelby does it again. Has all the new stuff in there. Recommended where to buy PSE actions and I did so.
Liked the Instagram instructions. The best book out there for photographers who use PSE for restoring photos.
His on line chapters that go along with the book instructions are wonderful. You can't go wrong with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Photoshop Elements 11 Book, April 5, 2013
I have never used Photoshop or Photoshop Elements before so I found the book to be very helpful. I liked the fact that
you could go directly to what you wanted to do without reading the whole book first. I found it very easy to read and
follow. I would highly recommend this book to first time users and maybe some advanced users too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, Lots of Good Information, January 18, 2013
I have several other Kelby books and have found all of them to be well written, full of useful information, and easy to use. You should be aware that this book will NOT teach you everything there is to know about Photoshop Elements. As the title says, it is geared toward digital photography and concentrates on the tools and techniques that the digital photographer needs to know how to use. This book does cover the latest additions to version 11 such as the much improved Refine Edge function, which takes some practice to use effectively, and is not easily learned just by experimenting on your own..

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocked full of information, February 5, 2013
I would recommend this book to individuals who are interested in certain aspects of photography in Photoshop Elements. I would not recommend it for someone who has no previoius knowledge of Photoshop Elements. In my opinion another book for learning the very basics would be less frustrating but once that knowledge is grasped, this book would be appropriate for anyone with a desires to achieve great looking photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, March 9, 2013
Lots of information and logically prepared. Fun to read and helped me many times already. I am new to Elements and found the book helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use reference but probaly not for beginners, July 19, 2013
Lenny w (Mazatlan, MX) - See all my reviews
I have been using Photoshop Elements for years and upgrade often so I appreciate the authors not spending too much time on basics. A very good chapter on RAW processing. The book does not try cover every aspect of PSE11 but what it does cover is done well with a minimum of words even thought Scott does tend to ramble on... especially his nonsensical introductions to each chapter... but like he says, skip it, there is nothing important there!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE INDEX FOR MY KINDLE FIRE!!! Everything of interest is in it and it has links to go directly to what you want to find. An easy to use reference book!

5.0 out of 5 stars All that you'll need, June 22, 2013
Mark D. Girouard (Westminster, MA, US) - See all my reviews
Unless you're a professional who insist on only using Photoshop, then this book will do it all for you. It is well written, easy to understand and just as easy to follow along.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price!, April 24, 2013
I have been using this book for eight weeks, and it has helped me to learn aspects of Element 11. I choose the book inorder to keep myself on track. It would have rated it a five star, but when I tryed to download the photos to follow the book, the instructions where not detailed enough and lost me. I would recommend starting at the beginning and working through the book. Especially the first half, after that perhaps not essential.

The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
$49.99 $34.62