From the Back Cover
It’s amazing how many images the world’s photographers produce! Professional or not, images surround us in our everyday lives. What makes successful photographs stand out? What drives us to revisit the same images over and over?
All images tell a story. Whether they’re produced as works of art, on assignment for National Geographic, or as part of a family vacation, images say more than
just a shutter speed, ISO, or aperture setting. We make images for a reason.
This unique book by photographer/teacher Jerod Foster focuses on visual storytelling and how a deep knowledge of your gear and your personal vision can create stronger images. Storytelling often requires the use of certain lenses, apertures, or light modifiers, but the story is what holds everything together. To become a better storyteller you will explore:
· Composition, light, depth of field, and motion and how to properly use your camera technically to dig deeper.
· Visual themes and how they provide stories with interest and depth.
· Types of shots and shooting styles and what they convey in your images.
· Research and ways to conceptualize your story before shooting.
· Strategies for developing your own effective storytelling workflow during and after the shoot.
This beautifully written and illustrated guide will help you connect the how-to’s of digital photography with the who, what, when, where, and why of storytelling to bring your vision and your images to life!