Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 13, 2005
As soon as my book arrived, I started flipping through the pages reading a few of the phrases on each when I realized this book is exactly what I need. I've been putting off my own performance review for several months now (yeah, I work for a manager - the CEO - who is very bad at completing performance reviews). As if writing an effective performance review isn't a daunting enough task, for me at least, it's ten times more difficult when it's my own performance I have to rate. I'm my own worst critic and this book is going to help me be more objective. Every page contains relevant phrases that I know I'll use over and over again. This will become an integral part of my HR Toolset! P.S. - I stayed up past midnight & completed my performance review. It was a breeze!
on January 3, 2006
I think this book is just great. It really helps you think about the performance of your direct reports and to articulate it clearly. I appreciate the way the book is laid out too - very helpful "goals" section helps you give constructive feedback to your employees. This book literally sits open on my desk as I write each review.
on March 1, 2007
This is definitely a practical and usable book. A very good starting point for designing and writing performance reviews, especially with its wide scope of job types, and generous lists of example phrases for providing feedback and setting goals. I won't say it's perfect (despite rating it with 5 stars), because I think users of the book need to be aware that no off-the-shelf solution can work in every situation. Using this book shouldn't be about "copy and paste" but about conscious selection, finetuning and design.

That said, the majority of the phrases provided are very specific, actionable and measurable (very importantly). Paul provides a great model and great direction in an area that way too often is fraught with subjectivity, bias, poor judgement and fear.
on October 10, 2008
Reviewing this book2600 Phrases for Effective Performance Reviews: Ready-to-Use Words and Phrases That Really Get Results, I found it to be a useful resource for ideas when writing performance reviews. I have twenty reviews to write every quarter! Guess what? Sometimes I run out of ideas and ways to state something intriguing about each team member. If you are the type of person that gets 'blocked' when under pressure to get a report out, try this book. It will prompt you with phrases and catchy words that will jumpstart your brain. If you need support in writing an effective review, I think you will find that this is the book to try; I know I found it helpufl and will keep it for a resource on my shelf.
on June 29, 2012
The material was useful but the format was wrong for a reference document. This book is great for triggering ideas and thoughts for performance review. I recommend buying the paper version of the book instead of the kindle version. Kindle version of books are great for reading but not so great for research.
on January 15, 2007
I would definitely recommend this book. I am presently involved in developing a template for a new Performance Appraisal for my company. The performance phrases in this book helped me define the guidlines for how to rate a performance in our work environment. Good reference book to have around.
on March 30, 2014
Got this as a reference book for my daughter who is a new manager. She told me she's used it for two employee evals so far. She said it helps open up her mind when she is trying to describe performance. Even her upline manager was impressed with the completeness of her write-ups!
on January 13, 2008
Excellent tool for assisting managers with written comments on the performance reviews they are required to do on their employees. It especially helps managers with new phrases for employees they have been reviewing for years.
on November 9, 2008
Looking for a key word or phrase and/or having writers block? "2600 Phrases for Effective Writing" really comes in handy. Being in the military and writing performance reports on a daily basis, this book has helped me out all the time. Not only does it help for the good reports, it also does for the bad.
on May 4, 2011
If you've ever run out of things to say, or simply don't know how to say them to an employee this is the book for you. It not only gives you things to say or write but also gives you instruction on how to give feedback. Great book with a lifetime of useful job related info.