Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 10:05:58 AM PDT
Nic says:
So I know we always gripe at how how Hamilton cannot keep her facts straight. Although this is clearly true, she does manage to keep the physical traits together pretty well (for the most part). Granted, she fails at simple math early on. Anyway, I put together a table of physical traits for some of the main characters. I did have to break it up into three sections and even then, the font is a bit small so I do apologise for that.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/villefan619/crap/AnitaBlakePhysicalTraits1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/villefan619/crap/AnitaBlakePhysicalTraits2.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/villefan619/crap/AnitaBlakePhysicalTraits3.jpg

Posted on May 23, 2012 11:53:46 AM PDT
EA Solinas says:
If only LKH herself would use it.

Posted on May 23, 2012 12:09:47 PM PDT
Deb Devaki says:
OK, so Anita is 5'3" then exactly how tall is the vampire she is interrogating at the start of Kiss the Dead? I, of course, haven't read it but the quote John gave us in the Kiss the Dead Preview Chapter discussion said: "and my heel was stuck in his chest, because he moved away, and my foot went with him, and the rest of me slid off the table. I was short enough that I had to put my hands on the floor to keep from just dangling from his chest. "

So for Anita to dangle with her hands on the floor and her heel in his chest wouldn't this vampire have to be about 7 - 7 1/2 feet tall? Is his height ever mentioned? Wouldn't his extreme height be a key characteristic to describe? Or did Anita suddenly shrink? Or is there just no logic at all here except for Awntie Lala's dream of how zexxy her Sue looks danging from a vamp with her undies showing?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:19:43 PM PDT
Nic says:
First off, it's already been determined that said heel ought to have snapped anyway so I am putting my money on a lack of logic. I do know Olaf's height is one factor that kept constantly changing though.

Posted on May 23, 2012 12:23:11 PM PDT
Nic says:
Yeah, after reviewing said notes, I noticed Nathaniel's hair changed length like 4-5 times. It went from waist length to knee length in one book. Then, a couple books later his hair was ankle length. Granted, a year had passed so this may be possible (though unlikely) if the hair actually had been knee length to begin with, but then it's changed to knee length again and poof! magic hair is now ankle length!

(Also, expect a table for metaphysical traits some time in the future. I'm still trying to figure out how to organise that one.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:40:23 PM PDT
EA Solinas says:
Doesn't hair tend to slow down its growth after awhile? And that's not even talking about breakage.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:48:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 1:21:31 PM PDT
Cal says:
Oh it is probably worse than that, I figure Anita is hanging with her lower leg perfectly straight out of his chest as if the heel of her shoe is bolted to a metal rod running to her knee... In reality even if the heel didn't snap off, the hanging from it would probably make a mess of her ankle, I mean her whole weight would be hanging from her foot that would likely be parallel to the floor meaning the angle with the least freedom of movement. If the Vamp grabbed her leg and locked it in place as he moved back she could have a damaged knee or a broken bone from a move like that. Of course Hamilton is probably thinking something along the lines of "normally the vamp would dead right, the heel would be just like a stake, so I was trying to make Anita less powerful.."

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:50:29 PM PDT
Nic says:
It does. Some people even have a stopping point, but everyone has a place where the hair starts growing a lot more slowly. As I said, growing your hair from your knees to your ankles in a year is possible, just unlikely. However, if he was growing it from waist to ankles, not so possible. I do know for a fact that hair does not go from ankles to knees and back to ankles (without cutting it) in a matter of no more than two months.

Face it, Nathaniel just has magic hair.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 4:12:51 PM PDT
Boo says:
I'm imagining Nathaniel as the Rapunzel-princess from _Tangled_, with the crazy hair that coud move around, glow, save lives... Sounds like something Auntie Hamilton would like.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 4:58:03 PM PDT
J. Boyd says:
I'm imaging Nathaniel as some sort of living Crissy doll. That was a doll that had hair that "grew". You pushed a button on the doll's stomach and and grabbed the hair coming out of the top of it's head and pulled out more. There was also a knob, so you could retract the hair.

Nathaniel must be built that way!

Posted on May 23, 2012 6:34:55 PM PDT
Deb Devaki says:
Hey there was a Barbie that had hair that grew too. She had this big powder puff poof on the top of her hair and a long pony tail came out of the center. The pony tail grew when you pulled it *Ahem* it's not like I still have one *cough* in my old Barbie doll suitcase *ahem* or anything.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:48:52 PM PDT
Nic says:
Now, I am picturing Anita Blake Barbies. Anita can come with guns. JC comes with five different outfits. Micah comes with a 2 liter Coke bottle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 11:12:43 PM PDT
Nemo says:
And Nate and Jason booty shorts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 7:59:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 8:00:22 AM PDT
J. Boyd says:
Dirty, dirty minded me...

The guys would have to have inflatable "anatomy", right? Because it is really one of their more important characteristics.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:13:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 9:13:28 AM PDT
Boo says:
"...The first anatomically correct Ken doll ever!"
"Um, Ms Hamilton-"
"The First I Say!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 10:37:09 AM PDT
Deb Devaki says:
Well to make the hair grow on the Barbie you just grab and pull. Why wouldn't that work for the guys? (Innocent blink).

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:52:37 AM PDT
Don't forget that each doll comes with it's own scent similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Strawberry_Shortcake_characters

Posted on May 24, 2012 1:10:43 PM PDT
P. Crossland says:
Wasn't there a Barbie doll that grew hair? You just pulled the ponytail and hair bunched in the head unfurled.

Hmmm...maybe Hamilton's one dimensional boytois have heads stuffed with acrylic fiber?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  May 23, 2012
Latest post:  May 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
3.3 out of 5 stars (675)