I have normal-to-day skin and this Healthy Wear SPF 50 foundation has been the only powder foundation I have ever been able to use without it being even more drying to my skin. It does not cake or gather in fine lines or wrinkles. However, the coverage is not heavy, so if you need heavy coverage this may not be for you. I have a few light freckles and they show through somewhat - but it looks very natural.

It contains no ingredients that make me itch. I have tried several mineral make-up lines and most of those contain bismuth oxychloride. This does not.

My complexion shade is fair/medium. I bought this in the light but it's almost too light for me right now (during the summer). It may be more my shade in the winter. But it's almost translucent when applied, so on days I don't self tan this shade works.

Underneath the powder, there is a foam applicator sponge. I use this as I feel it gives better coverage than application with one of my own powder brushes.

I don't like the chemical smell of moisturizers with SPF added, so I am using this alone directly over my Olay Regenerist Serum and even though sometimes I'm out in the sun several hours, I have not burned using this with no other sunscreens.

I'd definitely buy this again, but probably in the next darkest shade.
on May 15, 2010
I constantly read makeup and skin product reviews by professional makeup artists/dermatologists and came across this recommendation. With doctors, dermatologists and even the skin cancer foundation urging people on having adequate sun protection, this is an ultimate gem. We all know that the sun is a main contributor to find lines and nobody likes age spots.

Even if you don't care for sun protection, as a powder itself:

Smooth
Good coverage
Doesn't easily look caked or unnatural the way many SPF powder foundations do
Leaves skin looking flawless
Esthetically, it really does rival a non SPF powder
Does not make me break out

For those looking for adequate sun protection, these numbers speak for themselves:

Active Ingredients:
4% Octinoxate - blocks UVB
21% Titanium Dioxide - physical blocker of UVA
3% Zinc Oxide - physical blocker of UVA

These percentages are humongous. While they don't recommend only wearing SPF powder for sun protection, there are so many physical UV blockers in this powder that I layer it over my foundation or sunscreen and am adequately protected from the sun, skin looking flawless. I hate the shiny look sunscreens can give you, and Neutrogena's Dry Touch line makes my skin feel like it's burning as my skin is very sensitive. I also prefer physical UV protection over chemical ingredients like Avobenzone because they only last about 2 hours tops for sun protection while this powder will keep on protecting all day. I just touch up here and there if I sweat a bit or as hours have gone by.

For your information: Light is very light, great for porcelain skin tones.

I bought this product for Buy One Get One 50% at drugstores. Not all drugstores carry this item. MSRP is about $15.
on January 22, 2013
I was hoping to buy this to add on top of my made-up face so that I don't have to take all my makeup off and reapply it if I needed extra sunscreen throughout the day (I have melasma and live in a very sunny area!). I thought I could just dust it on with a blush brush. Unfortunately, I had to use the applicator it came with because it's too firmly packed for the blush brush to pick it up. Also, it's pretty white/chalky looking. I'm not pale, but I'm not tan either. I guess if you had really pale skin it would look okay.
on January 13, 2014
This is a nice product. I would recommend it to anyone looking for light coverage with sun protection. The only weird thing is.. the powder arrives exactly as you see in the picture. Meaning, someone has taken the compact out of its original box/packaging, slipped it in a padded envelope, and shipped it. That made me feel weird. Where is the original Physicians Formula box/packaging? What are the ingredients? How do I really know this stuff has SPF 50?
on July 4, 2012
I was hoping this was a mineral product, as I have been diligently searching a true broad spectrum (SPF-UVB, PPD-UVA) powder sunscreen I can easily just brush on alone or over makeup and GO. This is OK. Does not control oil very well on my extremely oily skin. The ingredients do give a good broad spectrum coverage. I would not wear this as a foundation rather just a quick powder sunscreen for my face and neck. A bit chalky, not refined enough. The ONLY place I could locate this item is here on Amazon, even thought when I emailed the company they said different stores carry different merchandise. Still searching for a Holy Grail daily sunscreen.
on June 2, 2012
I bought this when it first came out, and it came in a duo pack with a bronzer for fair skin. I discarded the sponge it came with and substituted the brush that came with the bronzer as I don't like sponges. I didn't really like the brush though, it tended to shed on me and I couldn't tell how much product it was actually picking up, so I bought a portable kabuki brush to go with it. I carry these two items in my purse all the time. I wear a base of sunscreen under my makeup, so I use this powder sunscreen as a touch up throughout the day. I am very impressed with the quality of it, it goes on smooth and no white or funky residue, and leaves a natural looking finish. I am very fair and so the translucent is perfect for me, especially since I wear it over foundation. I do think to call it a foundation on its own is kind of misleading, it seems more like a tinted powdered sunscreen if anything.
I have tried other powder sunscreens (Colorscience and Peter Thomas Roth) and didn't like either one. Colorscience's was messy to use, and even though the SPF was high on the one from Peter Thomas Roth, I still burned even when reapplying it multiple times throughout the day. With this product I never have burned, even when out in the sun all day (with reapplications of course). And I LOVE that it's great for sensitive skin, my skin is highly reactive and cannot handle a lot of sunscreens, so this is perfect for me. I hope they never stop making it!
on September 12, 2013
The product is described as 'new' and 'in box'. It was sent with no box, no packaging, the powder was worn down, and the applicator was dirty. THIS WAS USED! DISGUSTING!
When I contacted the seller there was no apology, a mailing label, and I have to pay for postage to send it back. So I get to pay postage both ways for a USED product not at all as advertised. The product came from AZ liquidators, but this is the exact site I bought it from.
on September 9, 2012
I am allergic to most sunscreens and have been searching hard for the past year or so for an affordable one that I can actually use. This foundation is an absolutely perfect answer! It has a high SPF and feels like I'm hardly wearing anything. Best of all I have no rashes, burning or itching! Hurray!

Pros:
-Goes on easily, feels light, and wears well all day with minimal touch-ups needed.(I do not typically wear foundation, so I cannot give a good review on coverage or cosmetic quality, sorry)
-High SPF/Good choice for those with sunscreen allergies. Can be applied to arms, neck, etc.
-Applicator sponge stores in the compact (I've been applying with a kabuki brush, then using the sponge for on-the-go touch-ups)

Cons:
-A tad expensive if you're looking for just foundation (but very reasonable if looking for the high SPF).
-Has a metallic smell. This sounds crazy, but I don't notice it until I step out into the sun, and then I instantly smell something metallic. It isn't overpowering and my husband says it isn't noticeable by others, but just something to be aware of.
-After a week of use the powder disc (I'm not sure what to call the actual make-up part of the compact) has begun to loosen from the plastic and moves a bit when I'm picking up powder with my brush or sponge. It seems the whole disc will come out at some point and I'll have to glue it back in.
-I wish they made a loose powder version so it would be easier to apply with a brush.

Conclusion: I will buy this product again (and again), and I've told my friends about it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2013
What a find! I'd been looking for a foundation that had a high SPF, but hardly anything went over 35. Then I discovered this. Hallelujah! Both my daughter and I use it now.

I have a very fair but almost ruddy complexion, and one layer of this foundation covers the red, evening my skin tone out completely. My skin is also very oily, but with this I have a matte finish that - even after hours of wearing it - doesn't slide around; and yet, it doesn't settle into small wrinkles, either. With this foundation, I have the serious coverage I need and, overall, a much more youthful looking complexion.

My daughter has a very fair complexion with quite a lot of freckles - which I find charming, but she does not. A one-layer application of this foundation tones her freckles way down; a second layer makes them all but disappear, leaving her looking like a porcelain doll. Even with two layers, there's still no caking effect. And, because of the great SPF, she uses it in place of sunscreen on her neck and décolletage.

Neither of us has ever gotten sunburned while wearing this, and we spend a great deal of time in the sun watching my son play baseball. So, as both a foundation and a sunscreen, I highly recommend it.
on July 11, 2012
I first found this foundation on Amazon, but bought it at Target. Target no longer carries it ~ nor does any other store I've looked through. I fear that Physicians Formula will stop making this, and I never want to use anything else!!!!! Before trying this, I had used P.F.'s loose mineral foundation. At first, I thought I would like it... but I soon discovered that it separated horribly and quickly on my T-zone. When I tried this Healthy Wear SPF 50 powder foundation, I was thrilled, and have continued to be thrilled with it. I am 55 years old, and have never had nice skin. At this age, I still have a very greasy T-zone. I also have red spots, broken veins, age spots, and enlarged pores. (YUCK) This foundation goes on beautifully, and *stays put*. Of course, I still have to powder my oily nose from time to time ~ but the foundation maintains smooth coverage, and is FAR better than anything else I've ever tried. The amount of coverage is perfect for me. The color is just right for my fair but spotty skin. *LOVE IT* !!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...