5.0 out of 5 stars This SPF powder really works for me

Published on July 4, 2012 by JulieFork

5.0 out of 5 stars This SPF powder really works for me, August 25, 2010
Yarii (fifty shades of blonde) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Physicians Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation - Light (Misc.)
I have normal-to-day skin and this Healthy Wear SPF 50 foundation has been the only powder foundation I have ever been able to use without it being even more drying to my skin. It does not cake or gather in fine lines or wrinkles. However, the coverage is not heavy, so if you need heavy coverage this may not be for you. I have a few light freckles and they show through somewhat - but it looks very natural.

It contains no ingredients that make me itch. I have tried several mineral make-up lines and most of those contain bismuth oxychloride. This does not.

My complexion shade is fair/medium. I bought this in the light but it's almost too light for me right now (during the summer). It may be more my shade in the winter. But it's almost translucent when applied, so on days I don't self tan this shade works.

Underneath the powder, there is a foam applicator sponge. I use this as I feel it gives better coverage than application with one of my own powder brushes.

I don't like the chemical smell of moisturizers with SPF added, so I am using this alone directly over my Olay Regenerist Serum and even though sometimes I'm out in the sun several hours, I have not burned using this with no other sunscreens.

I'd definitely buy this again, but probably in the next darkest shade.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST SPF Foundation/Powder for the Price!, May 15, 2010
I constantly read makeup and skin product reviews by professional makeup artists/dermatologists and came across this recommendation. With doctors, dermatologists and even the skin cancer foundation urging people on having adequate sun protection, this is an ultimate gem. We all know that the sun is a main contributor to find lines and nobody likes age spots.

Even if you don't care for sun protection, as a powder itself:

Smooth
Good coverage
Doesn't easily look caked or unnatural the way many SPF powder foundations do
Leaves skin looking flawless
Esthetically, it really does rival a non SPF powder
Does not make me break out

For those looking for adequate sun protection, these numbers speak for themselves:

Active Ingredients:
4% Octinoxate - blocks UVB
21% Titanium Dioxide - physical blocker of UVA
3% Zinc Oxide - physical blocker of UVA

These percentages are humongous. While they don't recommend only wearing SPF powder for sun protection, there are so many physical UV blockers in this powder that I layer it over my foundation or sunscreen and am adequately protected from the sun, skin looking flawless. I hate the shiny look sunscreens can give you, and Neutrogena's Dry Touch line makes my skin feel like it's burning as my skin is very sensitive. I also prefer physical UV protection over chemical ingredients like Avobenzone because they only last about 2 hours tops for sun protection while this powder will keep on protecting all day. I just touch up here and there if I sweat a bit or as hours have gone by.

For your information: Light is very light, great for porcelain skin tones.

I bought this product for Buy One Get One 50% at drugstores. Not all drugstores carry this item. MSRP is about $15.

3.0 out of 5 stars PF SPF 50 Powder Foundation/Sunscreen, July 4, 2012
I was hoping this was a mineral product, as I have been diligently searching a true broad spectrum (SPF-UVB, PPD-UVA) powder sunscreen I can easily just brush on alone or over makeup and GO. This is OK. Does not control oil very well on my extremely oily skin. The ingredients do give a good broad spectrum coverage. I would not wear this as a foundation rather just a quick powder sunscreen for my face and neck. A bit chalky, not refined enough. The ONLY place I could locate this item is here on Amazon, even thought when I emailed the company they said different stores carry different merchandise. Still searching for a Holy Grail daily sunscreen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too chalky looking and didn't do what I hoped, January 22, 2013
I was hoping to buy this to add on top of my made-up face so that I don't have to take all my makeup off and reapply it if I needed extra sunscreen throughout the day (I have melasma and live in a very sunny area!). I thought I could just dust it on with a blush brush. Unfortunately, I had to use the applicator it came with because it's too firmly packed for the blush brush to pick it up. Also, it's pretty white/chalky looking. I'm not pale, but I'm not tan either. I guess if you had really pale skin it would look okay.

1.0 out of 5 stars USED PRODUCT!, September 12, 2013
The product is described as 'new' and 'in box'. It was sent with no box, no packaging, the powder was worn down, and the applicator was dirty. THIS WAS USED! DISGUSTING!
When I contacted the seller there was no apology, a mailing label, and I have to pay for postage to send it back. So I get to pay postage both ways for a USED product not at all as advertised. The product came from AZ liquidators, but this is the exact site I bought it from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice powder, strange packaging., January 13, 2014
This is a nice product. I would recommend it to anyone looking for light coverage with sun protection. The only weird thing is.. the powder arrives exactly as you see in the picture. Meaning, someone has taken the compact out of its original box/packaging, slipped it in a padded envelope, and shipped it. That made me feel weird. Where is the original Physicians Formula box/packaging? What are the ingredients? How do I really know this stuff has SPF 50?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great powder sunscreen!, June 2, 2012
I bought this when it first came out, and it came in a duo pack with a bronzer for fair skin. I discarded the sponge it came with and substituted the brush that came with the bronzer as I don't like sponges. I didn't really like the brush though, it tended to shed on me and I couldn't tell how much product it was actually picking up, so I bought a portable kabuki brush to go with it. I carry these two items in my purse all the time. I wear a base of sunscreen under my makeup, so I use this powder sunscreen as a touch up throughout the day. I am very impressed with the quality of it, it goes on smooth and no white or funky residue, and leaves a natural looking finish. I am very fair and so the translucent is perfect for me, especially since I wear it over foundation. I do think to call it a foundation on its own is kind of misleading, it seems more like a tinted powdered sunscreen if anything.
I have tried other powder sunscreens (Colorscience and Peter Thomas Roth) and didn't like either one. Colorscience's was messy to use, and even though the SPF was high on the one from Peter Thomas Roth, I still burned even when reapplying it multiple times throughout the day. With this product I never have burned, even when out in the sun all day (with reapplications of course). And I LOVE that it's great for sensitive skin, my skin is highly reactive and cannot handle a lot of sunscreens, so this is perfect for me. I hope they never stop making it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this compact!!, August 25, 2011
This is my second compact. I actually finished the first one, and who ever finishes a compact? I had to order online this time because stores don't carry it anymore. I love that it's SPF 50. The store brands were SPF 12 or thereabouts, and I just don't think that's enough. This brand makes an SPF lotion, but I hate putting lotion on my face. My skin is very light so this shade is perfect for me. It's not mega coverage or anything, but I don't need that. Towards the end of my first one, the clasp broke, but it's plastic and the powder was almost gone so I didn't really mind. They'd better not stop making this!!

3.0 out of 5 stars works great, but it stinks!, June 3, 2013
It seemed to work very well the few days I used it on my beach vacation in Mexico. But it had a horrible smell that I couldn't get past. I have only seen a few others complain of this in reviews so maybe we got a bad batch or we're just extra sensitive. I couldn't stand the stink so I returned and got BE mineral veil with spf instead. a little more pricey but no smell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and true, June 5, 2013
sugarbelle (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
What a find! I'd been looking for a foundation that had a high SPF, but hardly anything went over 35. Then I discovered this. Hallelujah! Both my daughter and I use it now.

I have a very fair but almost ruddy complexion, and one layer of this foundation covers the red, evening my skin tone out completely. My skin is also very oily, but with this I have a matte finish that - even after hours of wearing it - doesn't slide around; and yet, it doesn't settle into small wrinkles, either. With this foundation, I have the serious coverage I need and, overall, a much more youthful looking complexion.

My daughter has a very fair complexion with quite a lot of freckles - which I find charming, but she does not. A one-layer application of this foundation tones her freckles way down; a second layer makes them all but disappear, leaving her looking like a porcelain doll. Even with two layers, there's still no caking effect. And, because of the great SPF, she uses it in place of sunscreen on her neck and décolletage.

Neither of us has ever gotten sunburned while wearing this, and we spend a great deal of time in the sun watching my son play baseball. So, as both a foundation and a sunscreen, I highly recommend it.

Physicians Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation - Light