Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 7, 2013
Needed it for my physics I & II classes. Seems like a decent enough textbook so far. Lots of good explanations and examples as well as practice problems.
on September 19, 2013
Having no previous exposure to physics, this book made me fall in love with it. It really is a well structured book that allows you to absorb a lot of material in a short amount of time.
I wish they would do some major updates on relativity and particle physics. Those last chapters are usually skipped in Physics 2 so they are pretty short in this book. Overall Giancoli and his team have done a good job.
on October 2, 2013
get it for school, its a great resource for an Algebra base Physics course. You wont be disappointed. It is perfect for college students
on May 27, 2014
I used this book for two semesters - both for physics I and physics II, so I feel like I am qualified to write a review for it. If you're like me and are learning physics for the first time for real (I don't count middle school or regular high school classes as really learning it), then you are going to want a different book. This book would probably be great for someone who is already well-versed in physics and is learning to brush up - it is NOT good if you are trying to teach yourself (aka if you have bad professors so you really depend on the book to learn the info). The terminology can be very confusing with extrapolations of formulas that are irrelevant. And, many of the pictures/diagrams are not intuitive and are actually quite confusing sometimes. I bought the book because it was the required textbook for my courses and I didn't know any better. I am sure there are far superior books out there, which I would have rather have purchased.
22 comments6 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2013
Good book, concepts explained pretty well, a lot of math. I am currently a sophomore, but between the book and my teacher, I understand concepts pretty well. The hard part is doing things fast during tests.
on October 23, 2013
Physics: Principles with Applications (7th Edition). The preface has many accolades attributed to this textbook; my perspective and experience, as a student (took physics back in high school-did well, current college course as a prerequisite) with this book is NOT so positive. For an example "inertia versus non-inertial" verbiage is confusing, when it could be explained in terms of "acceleration" to differentiate its application. Principles are abound but applications, NOT so much! Professors, Instructors please CAREFULLY review this book before requiring students to purchase this book. It's expensive YET does NOT provide ancillary information to aid student to think through problems to solve it.
on September 12, 2015
I rented this book for my physics class I took this summer and I can say I did not like this book. My main complaint about this book not enough examples of problems. The author just thinks you should already know this stuff and does not breakdown the problems. If you are using this book try to get the teachers edition so you can get the answers. In that edition all of the problems are broken down and each step is explain. I am glad I do not have take another Physics class. This book is not great and way to expensive.
on January 1, 2015
Very disappointed. Content is ok but production and printing is shoddy. I bought the loose leaf version so I could break it up by chapter for class room teaching. Several chapters started on even numbered pages!!! Some pages were missing and some were duplicated. The accompanying title Joseph Boyle's Student Study Guide is also of poor quality with ink smudges down several pages.
on September 22, 2015
I am renting this book for the semester for my online physics class. I received this book about a month ago and it has been helpful so far for this course. I mainly use it just for the homework questions rather than to teach myself physics because my online physics professor posts lecture videos online that I use to learn the material.

After ordering it, I received this book within 2 days in fairly good condition. It has some minor dents and scratches but that is expected since it is used. There is some occasional highlighting within the text throughout the book but nothing too extreme. I am very pleased with the condition it came in.

In comparison to other websites and books, the cost on Amazon was the most reasonable and affordable to rent at $40.

If you are thinking of using this book to teach yourself physics, I would consider finding a simpler edition. When I tried to use the text to help me on my test, I found it confusing and not very helpful.

I gave this product 4 out of 5 stars because while I do find it helpful in the context of using it solely for the homework problems, it may not be helpful for someone looking to teach themselves physics right out of the book.

Overall, my experience with this product has been good.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2015
The book could explain how to apply equations better. It is alright when explaining the definitions of key physics vocabulary, hit and miss on explaining physics concepts, but the worst part is the explanation of how to apply the equations in the book. For example in chapter 2, you are provided with for equations relating to constant acceleration, but one thing the book does not go over at that point is how to find things such as initial velocity--which is something that you do need in order to answer some of the problems provided at the end of chapter 2.

If you do use this textbook, and are a student, I suggest either asking your teacher for additional assistance (and lots of it!), buying a supplemental text or using resources like Khan Academy to help you better understand how physics works.

Good luck to those of you who decide to tackle this demon... I mean textbook.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse