5.0 out of 5 stars amazing
Published 14 months ago by daniel

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a supplemental book
I absolutely hate this book! It is very difficult to follow. I have a Fundamentals of Physics book from 1988 that I can understand better than this! If you simply need it for an alternative source of information it's great, but not as a primary source of learning.
Published 2 months ago by Blondie

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach with Modern Physics (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
This is the - best- textbook, I have ever read. I hated physics in high school, and now in college, I am a physics major. This book turned me around, this book got me through 1st year. Everything is taught to you from the ground up. Everything is clear and concise, there are plenty of worked through examples. However, you dont learn physics by reading, as a consequence there is a comprehensive list of exercises at the end of each chapter. These include both concept questions (which really test your knowledge), simple applications of chapter content, and progressively harder problems. All these problems have full worked out solutions via the solution Manuel.

this book will make you appreciate and understand physics like no teacher, no professor can. If you are serious about physics, then this book is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very personably written..., September 27, 2013
This book does a great job of presenting ideas and laying out theory in plain English, which makes it very approachable. The downfall of the text lays in the applications, where the example problems are worked through in a way that isn't compatible with how a person normally works through a problem. In stead of simply showing the math, like you would doing your homework, Knight's approach does a little math, then he writes at length using words what he's doing to solve the problem.

When working through a problem set, it's nice to see how the math should be laid out, solve this, then you find this, here's where we're heading, because we need to find this variable. Instead, you'll be working on your problem set and you'll look for an example problem in the text to help you build your mathematical roadmap, but instead you're met with a lot of description, and, of course, like all textbooks, Knight skips the algebra and geometry. This is annoying. I don't care if an example takes up an entire page, just so long as it's thorough and shows the reader in step-by-step process of the logic and complete mathematics.

Nevertheless, the plain English voice is a breath of fresh air, particularly since the book is billed for "scientists and engineers." Thankfully, also the book is image filled, showing direct examples of the classical mechanics and modern physics in action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome book for scientists and engineers!, April 24, 2014
First off let me start with saying that I am going to compare this to a Serway's style of books. Both are good but just different in their approach. The strengths of Knight's book is that it approaches physics in a conceptual approach with heavy analysis of problem and then focuses on problem solving strategies. I like understanding the concept before just bashing away at problem solving. Knight's book gives you just enough details to understand the problem as a physicist with out flooding you with too many details. In short this book teaches you how to be a scientist. It has a very smooth transition to new and more complex subject that are related to the previous ideas presented. I learned from Serway's book in college for my calculus base physics and I found that one to be mechanistic and heavy handed on problems and very equation heavy with out demonstrating the concept a good as in Knight's book. Serway's is a good encyclopedic reference but I think that Knight's shows the art of thinking like a scientist.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, May 1, 2012
The book is consice, to the point, and very informative. I found all of the pictures/examples/explanations very well explained. Overall I rate it a 5/5 because compared to other books I have had to buy it i s much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, February 27, 2014
I needed this textbook for a class, and this edition is a lot cheaper than the third one. Very happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great textbook, August 30, 2013
I took physics with this book as the required text. It is very easy to read. Lots of examples with varying difficulty. I like that it has a conceptual action of questions before it gives you the qualitative problems. Very efficient at delivering the material for an undergrad text.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a supplemental book, September 21, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 20, 2014
Best physics book out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an awesome physics book for learning the basics, September 9, 2014
This book is an awesome physics book for learning the basics. Covers a lot of topics in physics from classical mechanics to general relativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Scientists & Engineers, May 28, 2013
True to the title of the book, it seems like this book focuses more on ensuring the student can apply the knowledge to solve problems rather than introducing a large number of concepts. I like the systematic problem solving techniques that are provided for some of the more difficult applications.

$289.00 $235.59