5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to LEARN about piano servicing, get this book.
Art Reblitz should be on the Christmas card list of many a piano technician for writing this book.
In its pages you will find coverage of just about every aspect of piano tuning, repair and rebuilding- all presented in an easy to understand and follow format.
Published on March 14, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but at a curious inbetween level of detail
Published on January 17, 2008 by Dilettante

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to LEARN about piano servicing, get this book., March 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Piano Servicing, Tuning, and Rebuilding: For the Professional, the Student, and the Hobbyist (Paperback)
From repinning flanges to setting temperaments, from fitting and drilling a new pinblock to proper let-off distance, it's all here.
A number of years ago I decided to try my hand at rebuilding a player piano that I had come across. After searching for a good book on the subject, i came across Reblitz's book on Player Piano Rebuilding, and in the book he emphasized the importance of restoring the piano to as good a performace level as possible, as even the best restored player action could not make an old delapidated clunker sound good. So I bought the book I'm speaking of now, and it opened a whole new world and insight into the instrument.
Now mind you, I had never had any personal instruction, nor had I taken any correspondance course, but by using the advice and instructions put forth in the book I was able to disassemble the piano, completely restring it, hang new hammers, install new action parts and felts, install new key covers, reassemble the piano and regulate the action to near perfection. And having been a professional pianist for 24 years, I think I know what a well- performing piano feels like.
Now, years after my first player piano, I am a proud member of the Piano Technicins Guild, and tune actively on a part-time basis. And I still refer back to the book on ocassion.
In all, I'd say I owe a lot to the knowledge I have gleaned from the pages of this book, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to enter the field of piano repair and tuning. Lots of solid material, great illustration and pictures, and many words of wisdom.
The only thing that I could humbly add to Reblitz's book is this advice: read, read, read- study the material- apply the knowledge patiently and meticulously. To study is to learn, so carefully apply what you get from the book and you WILL be able to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference guide, September 15, 2000
Yuri Ryabov (Weiden Germany) - See all my reviews
This 6-star book is an encyclopaedia of piano repair/rebuilding/tuning. Without any previous knowledge of piano mechanics, I have managed to repair an old disintegrated German upright piano (ca.1900-1910) following Mr.Reblitz's instructions. I've found answers to all of my questions there. No "empty" paragraphs. Frankly, if I myself wrote such a book, I would feel that I lived my life not in vain.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible of the Piano Trade, January 12, 2000
As the owner of a Piano Service Company, I highly recommend this book to everyone from the beginning student or the professional piano technician to the general consumer who wants to know how a piano works! It will teach you everything you need to know. Wonderful pictures and detailed instruction.
Once you've studied the book, if you want to tackle some minor repairs by yourself, buy your piano parts & tools online, at Piano Showcase -

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, September 29, 1999
Martin A (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
Having bought a piano - way out of tune - and being interested in knowing how things work, I found this a fascinating book. The author seems to have managed to put several lifetime's wisdom into one easily readable volume.
But don't kid yourself that one quick read will make you an expert piano tuner - "there is no better way to improving your tuning efficiency than to tune several different pianos a day, five or six days a week" is one of the author's tips.
After several days of work [plus the aid of an electronic frequency meter accurate to 1 in 10**6], I have improved my piano somewhat but it is still way off what a professional tuner would achieve in a couple of hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the Mystery out of a Fabulous Machine, April 30, 2002
Mark Lee (Woodruff, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book several years ago subsequent to acquiring a 1919 Howard baby grand. This fantastic book enabled me to do some minor examinations and repairs, and gave me a much better appreciation for those truly skilled piano rebuilders out there.
If you've ever wondered just what an upright or grand piano action really did, or why all those levers, pinioned joints, felt pads, etc. needed to be there, or what that third pedal is for, this is the book to own. The piano is the last great analog machine out there, and I hope it remains with us for generations to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a "how-to" book, March 13, 2004
This is a well-written, straightforward text in the best tradition of introductory hobby and industrial-arts books. Illustrations and explanations are clear, the organization is logical, and all terminology is properly defined.
But this book is more than an instruction manual. It is written clearly, yet thoughtfully. We learn of the author's passion for his instruments, his affectionate humor at the hoary myths and legends that surround the piano business, and his intense desire that old 'trade secrets' finally be revealed.
I am a beginning piano student and an inveterate disassembler of mechanisms, hence my interest. I read the book--skimming it at first, as I tend to do, then digesting the high points and ultimately absorbing the important details. My courage progressed with my knowledge, and much to my surprise I recently succeeded in removing and improving the action of a mistreated baby-grand piano of my acquaintance.
But even non-tinkerers can benefit from Mr Reblitz' book. He discusses not only the instruments' works, but the instruments themselves: construction, design philosophies, and styles. All of the advertising claims cast into the gilt piano plate ("Capo d'Astro Bar") are explained here. The reader, thus empowered, can enter any piano showroom and fear no salesman.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book!, August 17, 2006
When I first received this book I have to admit that my brain froze with some of the technical jargon. Then I found the chapter on how to open the piano and everything made sense. I have always viewed pianos like I view cars. If you hit the key, or in a car, turn the key it should work! If not then I'm lost. But with this book's help I've already been able to repair two non functioning keys and I understand the problems that still need fixing. Also I was motivated to try and fix some problems by myself after being told by two professionals that they charge $100.00 just to come to the house. The piano was a freebie so I'm comfortable trying some of the repairs myself and I'm very excited that I may be able to do all of them with the help of this book. If you are looking to repair or refurbish an inexpensive piano then you will not be sorry if you buy this book. However if you have an expensive piano you may want the pro's first. This book could help you understand what they are talking about and keep you from paying for unnecessary repairs. It gives great insight on uprights, spinets, and grand pianos with detailed illustrations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but at a curious inbetween level of detail, January 17, 2008
I have an old Steinway that could use some work. I bought this book in the hope that it would give sufficient detail to actually undertake the work, but it is more a guided tour to let one know what a real technician would do. A lot of information is given, but not in either enough detail or with sufficient completeness to allow it to be considered an instruction manual. I also hoped to learn some more about the detailed mechanics of the tuning process -- the points of friction, and lubricants that one could use on the pin block to allow a faster convergence to the desired pitch -- but this was not at all discussed.

That said, it is entertaining and educative, and is probably a very useful introduction to a more complete text (I am still looking for that!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference for piano owners, December 21, 2006
The book overall is very well written. The tuning section is bit weak. Rebiltz explains the methodology well but there's not enough for a novice. It needs more exercise, listening techniques, explanations on physical nature of pins and pin block relationships - i.e., hammer techniques and pin settings. More information and techniques on using electronic/computer aided tuning methods will also help beginners. I have bought this book with the hope of improving my tuning skills but it falls short. The rest of the content is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars An encyclopedic treatise on all aspects of piano repair, October 14, 1998
An excellent authoritative source on repairing pianos - from simple tuning and cleaning to complete ground-up restoration. Written in clear, easy to read prose with hundreds of illustrations and diagrams. Has enough detailed theory to help the reader readily understand the reasons behind the repairs.

$29.95 $19.86