4.0 out of 5 stars Better than You Would Think -- In Fact, it's Really Cool!
The second best thing about this CD is you can play it for your friends and ask them to "name that tune." Since the tune doesn't match the style, it totally drives people nuts! It's hilarious to watch people bang their heads around tring to figure out D'yer Maker or The Song Remains the Same.
But the best thing about Pickin' on Zeppelin is the music...
Published on October 31, 2000 by Fred Neurohr

3.0 out of 5 stars led zep meets blue grass
Surprizingly, these two fit together very well. Since so many of the Led Zeppelin songs had a folky approach with acoustic guitar, mandolin, and sometimes harmonica too, this tribute sounds actually pretty good. I think once you can get over the shock of the "twainy" sounds combined with the original songs you will find this CD worth buying because the...
Published on August 29, 2000 by debb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than You Would Think -- In Fact, it's Really Cool!, October 31, 2000
Fred Neurohr (Cincinnati (by way of NYC)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
But the best thing about Pickin' on Zeppelin is the music. While at rare times it can sound a little like glorified Muzak, the arrangements and the musicianship are second to none. This record is a lot of fun, and goes way beyond being a novelty because it sounds so great, and was obviously a labor of love. Pick it up ... you should really enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth transition!, June 23, 2002
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
I am truly a Zeppelin enthusiast and a bluegrass fan as well, so I really like this collection! LZ's music is very folksy and therefore not a far cry from bluegrass, so the apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree. I don't think this would be offensive at all to LZ purists... in fact I think it shows that the melodies can stand alone beautifully when interpreted in a different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Zeppelin Tribute albumn I have ever heard, November 4, 2001
Mark Judge (Azle, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
This is the best tribute to the music of the great Led Zeppelin I have ever heard. The bluegrass arrangements of these songs are fantastic. These guys are great musicians. I highly recommend this CD to any Zeppelin fan.I was a bit skeptical when I first bought this CD but after one listening I was amazed and loved it.
This makes the Encominium CD trivial.(I hated that tribute)Give this one a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pickin' On Zeppelin: A Tribute, August 29, 2000
Jake FOGERTY (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
Having grown up seeing and hearing Zeppelin for most of my life, I was skeptical about a bluegrass flavor added to the mix of my beloved band's music.

I listened to this tribute CD with an open mind and discovered that Mark Thornton and company have injected new life into the old regime. The vocals of Robert Plant have been replaced by various instruments. This is a pure instrumental recording that has a heart and soul of it's own.

5.0 out of 5 stars They are all fun, February 4, 2007
Okay so its like this,

I have been listening to rock and roll for 25 years

I work in an office, do the "cube life", sitting at a PC for most of the day, working on my own, popping out to get liquids or drain liquids, chat some, that's the life. Now this ipod deal comes along a few years ago. Only, if your going to listen to music all day, you just cant listen to real pure rock and roll all day, you just cant. I don't care if your homeless sitting in a park all day with an ipod on, you just cant listen to real hard rock and roll for hours and hours at time all day everyday.

Classical puts me to sleep. I can handle some of it in the morning, ease into the day, but not allot of it. Pop I don't care for. Country singing about my dog had an affair on my wife doesn't cut either, what did I just say? Anyway, and Rap is out. Opera, No. So what to do?

Well thanks to my Dad, who used to watch Hee Haw all the time when I was growing up, and man did I hate it that show! Even today I seen some of it not long ago, its corny country stuff, but when Roy Clark comes on and solos for a song, then man always caught my attention. He was flat out good. But still I would "never" and have never owned a bluegrass cd. Get real!

But then, a friend, listening to me talk of my search to get some kind of music going for the day, loaned me a String Cheese Incident CD, an On The Road 3 cd set, and said just try it for awhile. Let it grow on you. What do you have to lose? Well yep I ended up submitting to it, and then really liking it. Before long I was walking around the office humming along, co workers going what you got playing man?? So having remembered seeing these Pickin' on cd's before, I said well why not try it, so I started off with one, right away started laughing and laughing good not at it. Now mind you no way would this happen up till a few years ago. Getting older? I don't know, many people are born and raised on this stuff. Its all in how you approach it. And I will tell ya what, that was a couple years ago and 6 pickin' on cd's later, I am so much more relaxed at work now. What I didn't notice before was music and singing along with it ALL day works on you more than you realize. Just having some "cruising tunes" playing with no singing really is relaxing. I don't have this playing all day, but its taking up a couple hours a day. Some more String Cheese cd's. And I will sooner or later just end up getting everyone of these pickin' on cd's. You see its not all about "oh this one doesn't jam enough" or the other one is better than this one. Nah. If you like Rock, and don't want to listen to it all day, then get used to these trust me, I did and its worth it. I still laugh at dif times playing them. And now some coworkers and friends have them loaded up also. I still have all the "real" bands loaded into my ipod, never giving up on Classic Rock and Roll, ever!

Lastly, I am not someone who sells these CD's. I actually am very picky if you read my reviews, and look at my Amazon name! and flunk so much stuff that's out there. Believe me this has caught me off guard. Just thought I would let anyone know that is searching for a new way listen to the day to try it out a bit. Give it time. Don't just listen partly or once then blow it all off, scoff and go Sacrilege! For I did before, but now a convert, and after a couple years of it, I get it, and will be enjoying these for years to come, just like the real rock and roll at times. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 24, 2006
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
Alright, if you don't like bluegrass, you probably won't like this. Hence the 1 star reviews. You probably should have thought of that before you bought a bluegrass cover, yea? That said, if you like bluegrass and Led Zeppelin, this is incredible. This CD made my week. Talented musicians, with new takes on classic songs. When I looked at the track listing, I wasn't sure how well some of the songs would translate between the genres. Stairway to Heaven, for example. As it turned out this is my favorite song on this CD, they do great things with it. Rest assured, these are not hacks covering Led Zeppelin for the name, and they have brought something new and inventive to each song. This is a beautiful CD and I can't recommend it enough, if, like me, you enjoy Led Zeppelin AND bluegrass.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome mix of zep and bluegrass, April 9, 2006
Mark (Corrales, NM, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
I am huge fan of Led Zep as well as bluegrass, so this was right up my alley. It was really amazing how they adapted the Zeppelin tunes to bluegrass. Definitely worth getting if you are like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
This is great music. I have had this for a while, and don't even know where I got it, but finally put it on the car stereo during a recent drive. What a great surprise.

I am a Led Zeppelin fan from way back, and I love bluegrass as well. Some of these recordings aren't all that far off the originals -- "Goin' To California" was almost like this to begin with, for example. But some of the rearrangements are absolutely brilliant, like the banjo lead into "The Song Remains the Same", which had me laughing out loud with happiness.

The recording quality is pristine, the sound is clear, rich and sweet, and the tunes are second nature to any Led Zeppelin fan. If you know and like this music in the original versions, I think you'll appreciate this. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best tributes ever. real winner., December 15, 2004
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
I usually think that tributes are a real testiment to a groups success, though I enjoy very few tributes. Love or hate em, they send a message. This one intrigued me. I love bluegrass, like Alison Krauss, Nicklecreek, and others. I've loved Zep since I was a kid.

This is a real winner. It's amazing that these two styles work together so well. Every song is well done. So many times the groups that do the tributes butcher the songs. Zeppelin has had this done many many times. Most of the tributes, ala Pat Boone, are horrid pieces of trash. This one, though, is a winner, much like Encomium.

5.0 out of 5 stars refeshing music, December 17, 2000
This review is from: Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute (Audio CD)
I am a true die hard fan of led zepplin, to me there is no bad song by the band led zepplin all of there music is good. Pickin on led zepplin is so refeshing and realling gets my foot stoppin and groovin to the music.I often wonder if John was still alive what kind of music the band would be making. thanks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute
Pickin on Zeppelin: Tribute by Pickin' On (Series) (Audio CD - 2000)