Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pickle-Chiffon Pie
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 11, 2004
My brother was given this book almost 35 years ago. I shamelessly filched it. Since then I have surely read tens of thousands of books. But I can say with utmost confidence that this book is the best, the most perfect, the MOST WONDERFUL book ever written. I have read it to my own children and to their school classes in their turn. It withstands the ongoing test of time and variety of children. It lives in tape-bound glory in an honored spot on the bookshelf. At night you can see a faint halo.

So what makes this the perfect book? Firstly, it flawlessly follows the immutable Fairy Tale Law of Three giving it that well-grounded solidity found in generations of three aspirants/sisters/brothers/ogres/bears/billy goats gruff, three encounters, three days, three chances, etc. Secondly, it is a rich and engaging story without being wordy or trendy. But thirdly, there's the sense of rightness, of contentment at the state of a well-run world, the desire to go whisking off to that happy kingdom as the last page is regretfully turned. Also, there's pie.

(After wondering for years what a Pickle Chiffon Pie actually tastes like and being prodded by questions from my own children, I conducted extensive research. I found that Pickle Chiffon Pie tastes mysteriously JUST LIKE a green-tinted lemon meringue pie. My children, their classmates, and I were pleased.)
on September 16, 1998
A king had a daughter with too many suitors. They would bring gifts and she would invite them to stay for dinner. That ment less Pickle-Chiffon Pie for the king. He decided to put the three nicest princes to a test...'The one who brings back the most unusual, the most marvelous, the MOST WONDERFUL THING' from the forest 'may marry the Princess.'
This is the first book I ever read. I was 6 when my sister bought it for me, and now my son reads it. It is 'a story of kindness and consideration for others'...something that has endured throughout the generations.
on November 28, 1999
When I was growing up, my mother read this story to me over and over. No other book from my childhood stands out in my memory the way this one does. The timeless lessons in generosity and graciousness are ones I would love to share with my own children if I can find a copy of the book.
on January 9, 2007
I instantly fell in love with this book when I first read it and have since donated to the school library and given it as gifts. Fabulous story where it pays to care about others and make right choices.
on June 20, 2008
This book is fabulous through and through. I love the creative, quirky illustrations and the imaginative storyline, but what really sets this book apart is the beautiful message: that the right prince for a princess is the one who shows kindness and consideration for others. A great message for girls among the princess-fantasy filled world of books. My daughters are 9 and 12, and I've been reading this book to them (less and less, of course) for at least 10 years; it's that's good and that fun.
on November 21, 2002
As a child, I loved the pictures. I can still see the giant caterpillar wearing a different shoe on each foot, the mice painting pictures, the lion on roller skates juggling cans of rootbeer-soup, the giant, the ogre... and the great, big tear dripping down the snozzle's nose. As an adult, I still find myself admiring kindness and consideration more than looks or education. It's a beautiful story and fun for kids. Lots of Bradfield's other books are in print; why not this one?!
on April 24, 2006
I was given this book as a child, I don't remember how old I was...I just remember this turned into my favorite book. I still have it on my shelf today (I'm 33 with no children yet) and occassionally pick it up to read it.

Such a great story to remind us all about respect for others and that looks aren't everything when you have kindness in your heart.

I highly reccommend reading this even if you are an adult. Enjoy!!
on May 14, 2002
A beautifully written tale of compassion and love, Pickle Chiffon Pie, is easily one of the best children's books ever written. It centers around three princes' quest to win the hand of a princess, each relying on their best qualities; strenghth, intelligence and kindness. In the end the kind prince wins over the princess and "they live happily ever after". A wonderful treat for children and adults alike. A true treasure!
on June 8, 2014
My elementary students from grades K-5 all LOVE Jolly Roger Bradfield and this is their favorite title. The illustrations are funny and useful for my young, often ELL, readers. The text is rich with vocabulary, invented words and a pleasing read-aloud rhythm. The moral is an understated version of the golden rule with kid-friendly supporting reasons. I use this every year during the first week of school and regularly give copies to new teachers. We revisit Pickle-Chiffon Pie multiple times throughout the year to discuss character traits, opinion writing, descriptive details, plot structure and many other Common Core reading/writing topics.
on December 8, 1999
This man changed my life. He can tell a child how to be ok with no need of victims, evil or sadness. BEAUTIFUL. He was a HUGE and beautiful part of my childhood and a very important influence in my creative deveoplment as an artist in my adultness. After 20 years I contacted him, and became friends! Visit his whole work at [...]