5.0 out of 5 stars Full of surprises about how the brain works, and inspiration for the brain's potential
In this book, scientist Miriam Boleyn-Fitzgerald reports the latest on fMRI scanners and what they reveal to neuroscientists. The brain, once thought to be fixed and locked in after a certain age, is now known to be plastic and to regenerate. This neuroplasticity can give us great hope for people with injuries, addictions, memory problems, etc.

The journey...
Published on March 12, 2010 by Susan Schenck

3.0 out of 5 stars Pictures of the mind.
I really enjoyed the first part of this book. However, the second half fell into political discussion, and it was terribly distressing to learn that there is a group of "experts" making decisions about how violence is going to be treated in the legal system. Just what we don't need - more "experts" experimenting with society.
Published 13 months ago by Duncaha

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book even for novices, February 25, 2012
Josh Keidan (Seattle and China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are (FT Press Science) (Kindle Edition)
When I picked up Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are it was because I was trying to change my life after getting out of a 20 year long emotionally crushing relationship. I literally had my whole identity shaped and decided by a person who left me emotionally broken after I decided taking care of this person was no longer a priority in my life. I did not in fact know who I was. This book was not what I expected, it was far better.
First, don' get scared off by scary words like Neuroscience and Neural plasticity. Ms. Boleyn-Fitzgerald does a great job of explaining even of the most complex terms in normal human English and she has a story teller like ability to explain the physical mechanics behind how the brain works.
Her way of building the the book starting at the very basic question of "What it means to have consciousness" is explained in a way that anyone , given enough time to think about things , can understand. She explores the physiology behind PTSD, the creation of emotions, how meditation works and explores controversial questions such as are we hardwired for religion and what does that mean.
Yes there is a lot of use of Buddhist ideas but part of it was due to the research that was being done. Later on it it merely serves as context for understanding how to train your mind for happiness. She makes sure the readers know this is not an exclusively Buddhist thing but rather yoga or mental walking for the brain.
How I viewed the world changed a lot after I read this book.. I recommend this book for anyone who went through a traumatic experience but I can , with an equal amount of enthusiasm for anyone who wants to understand "why" the feel the way they do and exert more control over the chemical reaction we call emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Again About Pulling the Plug!, June 27, 2014
I found this book very interesting and thought-provoking. I wondered when my mother was in a coma prior to her death in 1966 whether or not she knew I was there with her and if she could hear what I was saying. After reading this book, I now believe that she was aware of much of what was going on around her even while she was in a coma.

The neuro-imaging technology will probably be used to help us in ways we hadn't thought possible. The author points out that we must be careful, though, not to carry the possibilities too far and make serious ethical mistakes.

It was difficult for me to follow the pictures of the brain scans on my Kindle. I like being able to choose my font and my font size on my Kindle, and I like the idea of saving trees; but trying to skip back to the narrative about the pictures was not the best way for me to learn about the scans. For that part of the book, I would have preferred holding a book with paper pages in my hands.

I think I found only one typo in the book, and it was very minor.

Thank you, Beatles (yes, the singing group) for making the CT scanners possible through the donation from your recording company.

2.0 out of 5 stars let-down, April 21, 2014
Nancy B "Nancy B" (Mexico City, Mexico) - See all my reviews
I'm not a scientist, but I love research about the brain and thought this book would be interesting. It isn't. It's dry and mostly boring. The title sounds good, though. What a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Mind-Bending", March 20, 2014
Enjoyable and precise prose from a person with a background in physics, appreciated by one with a background in biology, chemistry and psychology...extremely warm and readable...all topics useful and interesting, but especially for me: hints re acquainting oneself with and starting to use meditation! As Star Trek's Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. Very thought provoking., January 19, 2014
The best book I've read in a long time. The brain is an amazing organ and study can change the coarse of mankind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Needs to Know This Stuff, January 12, 2014
This book reveals things that everyone needs to understand. It will help you understand yourself and others so much better. I know it helped me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, January 8, 2014
What more can I say. Interesting, if you're considering studying neuroscience, but not a whole lot of new information that everyone already knows or could figure out themselves by just putting two and two together. Not bad, but definitely for the scientifically inclined. You're interested in the brain, this isn't bad information to put into yours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, January 6, 2014
It's ok, but it wasn't interesting to me personally. It did not have the kind of information I was looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't what I was expecting., January 1, 2014
I was hoping this was give me some insight to my MS. Disappointed I didn't learn anything new. The brain is a miracle in itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pictures of the Mind, December 13, 2013
Review sounded intriguing; I am an engineer. I like the 'sciences' and thought this would reinvigorate my right brain just can't keep up with all the reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›