5.0 out of 5 stars This book will give you pie making skills!
Published on July 11, 2012 by C. Serrano

3.0 out of 5 stars If you love to bake pies, this is the book for you.
Honestly, I read through this recipe book, but the recipes were kind of out of my league as far as my baking skills go. If you like to bake then this book is for you.
Published 28 days ago by Christine C. Schubert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will give you pie making skills!, July 11, 2012
This book is an excellent piece of work. If you would like to get really good at making pies, and tarts, I highly recommend it as an addition to a baker's cookbook collection. The book begins with the basics in which it contains a discussion on the essentials and tips and tricks for turning out beautiful pie, tart, puff pastry, and even doughs that I was pleasantly surprised to find in the book like, for example, the pizza dough (a recipe, by the way, that will rival any good bread cookbook that includes pizza dough in the contents). The book provides "a few master recipes" for caramel, ganache fruit glaze, and pastry cream, with several options for making a variation, e.g., chocolate, salted caramel, coconut, or pumpkin, etc.

The book is organized very well with chapters that focus on berries, to stone fruit, to apples and pears, to dates and figs, to my favorite chapter "sweet & creamy" pies, which includes a buttermilk peach pie, a bruleed maple custard tart, a boston cream pie, and a butterscotch meringue pie, etc. I really love, love, love that chapter! It then moves into "chewy and chocolaty" pies, to "tart and tropical" ones--with the pineapple coconut macaroon tart being an excellent choice in this section--to pies made with nuts, e.g., classic pecan, and a macadamia coconut-caramel tart (which I plan to make soon after an upcoming visit to Hawaii when I will have the opportunity to visit a macadamia farm and bring some of those babies back with me). The book also has a strudel chapter, and an excellent savory chapter as well that includes chicken pot pie, and pizza pie recipes. The book ends with a chapter that asks you to put your new found pie making skills to the test with what she calls masterpiece recipes. This section includes a link to the author's blog where the reader can find video and photo demonstrations of some of the techniques featured in that chapter, and the others as well.

I really like how the ingredients are presented in tables and include both weight and volume measurements. I also appreciate that the instructions are numbered, making it really easy to follow along should you have to check back with them while in the process of making a recipe.

Her quick puff pastry is a gem of a recipe. It is well explained, and the pictures make it super easy to follow. I couldn't tell much of a difference in terms of texture and puff from using this quick puff pastry versus one that uses a traditional process.

I recently made a chocolate cream pie and had leftover filling. Her hand pie dough recipe was the perfect way to use it up and make chocolate cream hand pies. They were absolutely delicious! I also just made a nectarine and vanilla cream tart and used her sweet tart dough and pastry cream recipe with only small adaptations. They turned out great. In fact, you can check out the finished product on my blog (Baker With a Cause) if you would like the opportunity to see more recipes from the book.

While this book is definitely not one that simply sticks to the classics, I've really appreciated the opportunity to make pies that I would associate more with buying at a bakery. If you are a serious home baker, this book will definitely add to your skill set. However, the writing style, organization, and photographs in the book will make it easy for just about anyone to turn out beautiful pies. It is definitely worth 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Reference, July 3, 2012
This book is an excellent addition to a cooks baking collection. The recipes are excellent and the 7 pies I have made have turned out very good. I did decide to purchase some ceramic pie weights and found they worked much better than my 25 year old dried beans. The blueberry pie was especially good and I appreciated the hints regarding frozen vs. fresh fruit. The writing style is amusing and readable. I will look for her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pie Oh My!, October 9, 2012
This is the 3rd book I've purchased by Gisene Bullock-Prado ( My Life From Scratch, and Sugar Baby). The most difficulty you'll have with Pie It Forward is deciding which pie to make first! I'm an avid baker with a knack for cakes, cookies, breads, and sweet treats. But when it came to making pies, I admit I would chicken out and use ready-made dough bought at the grocery market. Sure, that is totally fine. But Gisene offers up several different dough recipes for various types of pie crusts that are so yummy, so easy to follow, and oh-so-freezable for future use that there is no longer a reason to fear making it from scratch! Furthermore, her writing style is engaging, informative, and encouraging even for pie virgins. The tips and tricks she offers for baking a pie without the dreaded soggy bottom crust are fai-proof! Do you know about " crust dust" and how using it can help eliminate soggy bottom crust? No? Read the book and find out--- super easy to make!
This book is a must-have for your baking library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Cookbook, March 8, 2012
Within 30 minutes of looking through this book, I was inspired to start baking. It is clearly written, concise, funny and puts you at ease if you aren't an expert baker. My apple pie could have been purchased at a bakery. I was thrilled. Recipes like basic puff pastry to Cherry Lavender clafoutis seem simple and achievable. I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to learn and for those adventurous enough to try new recipes. Delicious for all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fear pie no more & expand your baking horizon!, March 15, 2012
Pie It Forward is as enjoyable to read as it is to create the recipes inside. Starting with the basics, you'll not only learn how to make a pie crust, but what ingredients are involved, and why & how they work together. The end result is knowledge and the flakiest, tastiest, and tender crusts that encourage you to keep baking and trying new ways to use your newfound skills. This book is chock full of recipes from the simple to the complex (but very doable).

With so many different recipes with tart dough, puff pastry, pie dough, and pizza dough as crusts, Pie It Forward will keep you busy and happy with a variety of recipes for sweet, savory, berry, fruity, nutty, gooey, or smooth & creamy.

So, Pie It Forward and bake someone happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can finally make a pie!, June 7, 2012
Pie It Forward is a wonderful journey through the process of making pie! Gesine Bullock-Prado walks you through making the most tender and flaky crust, and then filling it with the most flavorful fillings. I have made the Wild Blueberry Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb Lattice, and Not-So-Traditional Apple Pie. All were fabulous! The most amazing part is that I used to struggle with making a good crust, and her recipe for All Butter Easy Pie Dough saved me from my previous fate of eating tough crusted pies.

Also, Gesine has a companion website to accompany her cookbooks, where she does pictorial demos of many of the recipes, so you can see each step of the process. She also has videos on her website which are very helpful...particulary the Wild Blueberry Pie video, where she demonstrates the All Butter Easy Pie Dough.

I have all of Gesine's books. If you want to be inspired to bake, buy this book, and while you are at it, order Sugar Baby and My Life From Scratch too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love Pie It Forward!, October 24, 2012
Bought this book for my daughter-in-law who loves to bake as to I. We both love the book. Gesine starts at the beginning...what is pie and why do we like it so much? Where did it begin and why is it so comforting. Then she starts baking. The pictures are amazing and the step-by-step instructions are easy for beginners and useful for experienced bakers. I've been baking pie for longer than I can remember and learned many new things! Love to share it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the crust recipes alone., March 20, 2013
I work in a library so I am constantly checking out cookbooks. I loved this one so much I ended up buying my own copy. I've been baking for years but I've never been great at making pie crust. I made the basic tart dough from this book and it came out perfectly, it was easy, and it made enough for three tarts. So far I've tried the Sticky Toffee Pudding Pie, the Bakewell Tart (Can you tell we used to live in the UK?) and the Nutella tart and all three came out beautifully. This book is a wonderful resource for pie bakers. It's got several crust recipes, including chocolate tart dough, puff pastry and even pizza dough.There's everything from pecan pie to butterscotch meringue to quiche. It's laid out well and the directions make sense and the non-recipe related text is amusing. This is the second of her books I've read and I can't wait to see the other ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BAKERS MUST HAVE, December 3, 2012
Everything you need to know about baking is here. A must have book especially for beginners . Every step is well explained :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars New favorites and classics reimagined, November 27, 2012
Stephanie Perla (Davis, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I love making pie, pie crust, hand pies... you name it. I enjoy trying different techniques, variations, etc. That all said...I highly recommend this book. Gesine's recipes are delicious and the variety of crusts/pie filling variations make this book a must buy. I have made several apple pies in my life but the filling for San's Favorite Crumble Top Apple Pie won rave reviews at my Thanksgiving table.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›