Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Size: 1 Cup|Change
Price:$5.59+ $6.66 shipping

on June 8, 2011
I'm a big fan of the Boston Shakers; it's what I grew up with and what I prefer when making a cocktail. I picked up this one as a quick buy because I couldn't find mine right before a party and I'm pretty sure I wasn't tipsy when I put it away, but that's neither here nor there. I figured that the recipes would be helpful for my friends who like to mix their own drinks and it was relatively inexpensive. For being on the reasonably priced end it didn't do too terribly bad, but it was by no means something I'd buy again or use in the future.

Pros:

1) The glass is thick and heavy, this gives the shaker a nice weight in your hand.

2) No leaks, I expected some considering the price and the fact that the shaker itself was very thin and seemed like it would warp if too much pressure was applied.

3) Having the measurements on the glass is very helpful for those who aren't familiar with some of the more popular recipes.

Cons:

1) The strainer coil is loose and easy to catch on your sponge while cleaning, it clogs with fruit, herbs, or other additives and is generally very flimsy (the entire unit).

2) For those who aren't familiar with a Boston Shaker it can be very easy to get the glass and the shaker stuck together, you can easily remedy this with a tap or twisting gently to remove the glass but it's best to use a regular bar glass (can't get it stuck and it still forms a great seal) with this if you're letting your friends run amok. There's just nothing like a frustrated person with a little alcohol in their system to wreak havoc on your kitchen when things don't go their way with that next drink.

If you put this together as an entire kit I'd give it a 3.5 star rating for ease of use, great seal, measurements and recipes (if you want them, if not it can get irksome because it distracts the eye). It isn't a 4 or 5 star because of the shaker sticking so easily for so many people (I let ten people try it) some of whom have used Boston Shakers in the past, causing me to have to revert to using a regular glass for mixing. I'm also not confident at all in the shaker cup; it's very thin toward the top (like paper) and I'm just waiting on it to warp because of strong hands, frustration trying to get it apart, or being dropped and thus denting. Couple that with the strainer that is bin worthy and you've got a solid 3.5.

Don't get me wrong, it's great in a pinch, but I wouldn't use it for my everyday needs. For something pretty reasonably priced for those starting out or friends and loved ones who appreciate the occasional drink and need a stocking stuffer it's just fine.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 18, 2008
I got this shaker just over a month ago, and I've been using it regularly. The two halves fit together great -- no leakage at all. The glass is heavy-duty and has great markings for measuring, although I would have liked lines at the 1/2 ounce mark, not just the ounce mark. Quibbles aside, I've been making perfect straight-up margaritas with this, as well as lemon drops and other shaken drinks. Terrific shaker for the price.
on June 4, 2008
I was looking for a cocktail shaker that had the features that this product has - measurements on the glass cup. I like to see how much of each ingredient that I am putting into a drink and this item has very clear markings on the cup. After I've got what I want in the glass cup I just cover it with the stainless steel cup and shake. Nothing leaks out at all. It also comes with a nice strainer to keep the mixing ice out of the drink when poured out of the glass. I looked at several retail stores in my area and none of them carried this item. I am very happy with my purchase.
on January 11, 2008
I really like this shaker and have only made margaritas with it, but it works very well. I don't both using the strainer, as the two pieces are enough for me to strain. The glass is the same as normal pint glass, although it feels more sturdy. It may be made of a thicker glass. The glass also has some common mixed drink recipes included on it.

The two glasses fit inside of each other, then the strainer can sit on top for compact storage.
on January 22, 2012
This is a great set, and I've been using it for several months.

However, I just noticed that my hands turn black when I mix a drink. It turns out that the ink is coming off the glass. I have been putting the glass in the dishwasher, perhaps I'm not supposed to? Although I would assume it should be dishwasher safe.

As I said the set works great, but I recommend you wash the glass by hand if you purchase.
on July 29, 2009
We love this and it has been very useful, but be aware; if you put it in the dishwasher the printing on the glass eventually wears off so I would suggest hand-washing that part.
on September 24, 2010
The glass was great and the strainer did it's job. I never use the ingredients on the glass, but that's my own personal preference. however, the stainless steel shaker shell made me uncomfortable. Right out of the box, i saw three little rusty dots on the inside. I tried scrubbing and washing it but it didn't come off. Turns out, that's how the bottom is attached to the shaker shell.

The rusty dots were actually connecting points in order to attach the bottom. Look closely at the picture. See how there's the bottom "cap"? I'm not sure why they didn't make it as one solid piece. I can't help but wonder: If dropped, will the bottom cap be dislodged? Will it be dented? Over time, will it lose it's vacuum-sealed function and have a small leakage at the bottom?

The shaker kit was rather disappointing. I found one by Libby's which was only $10.00 at Target (check your local Target. they may or may not carry it).It's solid all the way through, the glass is larger (more drinks for everyone!) and the strainer has a nicer handle.
on February 2, 2008
This Boston Shaker is amazing for it's price. Everything is very high quality, and the glass is thick to prevent cracking. At first I was worried that it would be low quality because there are much more expensive shakers out there, but I am EXTREMELY happy about this one. It comes with everything you need to begin mixing your favorite drinks!
on May 20, 2013
I was initially quite pleased with this set. However, after a couple uses, I noticed that my hands would turn black after touching the mixing glass. It turns out that the ink used to print the recipes on the glass had started to rub off severely. This may have been because I put the glass in the dishwasher to clean it, but it seems a bit ridiculous that it isn't dishwasher-safe. More importantly, it doesn't say anywhere in Amazon's product description that it isn't dishwasher-safe, and I didn't notice it in any instructions that came with the item. And frankly, I'm not even sure it was the dishwasher that caused it. Hand-washing may have caused the ink to rub off as well.

In the end, I had to throw out the glass, which is why I'm giving this product a low rating.
on May 18, 2015
I'm currently in bartending school and this set was perfect! It's stainless steel works great, not cheap quality, I love it and it's going to be so helpful when I work private events and need my own equipment. I'll also be able to use it at home making drinks and having friends over. The only downfall is that the mixing glass is not tempered glass so it isn't the "strongest" or best glass for mixing, but that's really not a problem. And it shipped extremely fast! Very happy.
review image