5.0 out of 5 stars Not soon forgotten
Published on March 16, 2008 by Mary Menzel

I bought this book based on the fantastic reviews; but was soon very disappointed in the interpretation of the crucifiction.
Published on July 3, 2008 by Jane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like reading about Black Ghetto crime and drugs, this is for you., July 3, 2008
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
It is mostly black ghetto talk about shorties and niggas and it lost me and was not what I was expecting. I couldn't connect with the characters. I found that the author was jumping about with dialogue and people and it was hard to follow who was saying what and lost it's appeal for me.
I didn't feel there was any fluidity of events as it seemed all over the map.
I didn't connect with anything, or any character particularly the character portraying Christ!
I skimmed the last half of the book since I knew the ending of course, but was VERY,VERY tired of reading about niggas and 9mm.
I see enough of it on the daily news and this seemed more of the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not soon forgotten, March 16, 2008
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
This brilliant alteration of biblical accounts into a modernized tale of drugs, death and deception is not for the easily offended or faint of heart. With graphic scenes of violence, sex and torture Steven Rage has given us a view of Christ's final days had he lived in our modern world. His unique cadence and elaborate descriptions vividly animates every aspect of his writing. Whether offended or captivated, whoever reads this book will not soon forget it.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense!, March 13, 2008
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
Reading the first couple of chapters, I told The Wife, "This is absolutely the most violent thing I've ever read!" Reading more, the violence continued unabated but it all fit in. This wasn't just savagery for the sake of being shocking. Once you get over the initial impact, the story is compelling and extremely well written. Between work, The Wife, and The Boy, I'm kept pretty busy so I had to hide out in the bathroom to finish the book.

My advice to you: sneak this book and some snacks and drinks into your private hiding place (or bathroom) and settle down for a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars brutal tale, March 13, 2008
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
This story illuminates in our modern world one of the most powerful stories ever told. Rage is a natural story teller and with his compelling and clear voice, he spins imagery so detailed and brutal that it grips the heart, mind, soul and body at once. Then, in the moment of pain and discomfort the light and courage of Christ shines on the darkest part of humanity. If you liked the Passion of Christ or any other painful tales of horror, you will love Steven Rage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally Good, September 11, 2009
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
Downloaded and read PILATE. I thought it was excellent. Being brought up Catholic, I was very familiar with "the source material". In its own right that is a very powerful story. Compound that with street violence and mega-violence of the most extreme horror variety and you get a story that any horror fan would eat up. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Step Aside, Passion Of The Christ!, March 30, 2010
A. A. A. (Illinois, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
This is a highly imaginative and entertaining story, and it would most certainly make a fascinating, earth shattering film!!! I think that if Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale was made into a movie (or movies, preferably), we would see Mel Gibson crying, humbled, and worshiping at the feet of the almighty Reverend Steven Rage! Any film makers out there would easily stand to make a fortune working with Reverend Rage and putting his visions on film! This brilliant and inventive book is about good, evil, redemption, punishment, salvation, and the second coming of Christ (with disciples, Herod, and of course Pilate) set in modern times. Reverend Steven Rage's gripping portrayal of good and evil forces the reader to see both sides with accurate and equal clarity. Unlike most stories based on Christianity, Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale urges the reader to witness the evils and horrors in our world uncensored. The good Reverend Rage does not down play the evils of today, and he re-enforces the fact that there is no good without evil (and vice-versa) in this thrilling tale. Reading this book is maximum enjoyment from the very first page right on through to the last, and it will definitely make you hungry for more of Reverend Rage's written gold! Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale is so enthralling from beginning to end, that it's difficult for me to say what I liked best about it, because there is not one single thing that I disliked about it! I think that what really grabbed me was Reverend Rage's description of the Christ and the environment that She was born and raised in. Kudos to Reverend Rage for placing Her exactly where She would be needed the most! Another thing that tickled my fancy about the Christ in this story was that She did not condemn marijuana as a dangerous drug. She agreed with her disciple who said that marijuana is truly a gift from heaven. She, instead, focuses all of Her efforts into curing and saving the poor souls who are killing themselves with their awful and sinful plata addictions. (Plata is yet another creative Reverend Steven Rage invention based upon his actual medical knowledge of how the real dangerous drugs out there today will kill people.) Speaking of Reverend Rage's medical knowledge, I recommend that the readers of my review who are unfamiliar with this author, his writing style, and especially his real life background should search "Reverend Steven Rage" or "Steven Rage" here on amazon.com or even google him. Read his reviews, read his interviews, read his own product descriptions, and again, definitely take the time to learn about his real life background. I, for one, am absolutely amazed that this is Reverend Rage's first book because it's just that good! It's utterly amazing that he put this book out pretty much all on his own AFTER working long, hard hours at his job to pay the bills and support his family. Also, it's amazing that there's no major errors in this whole book! Everything is he writes is medically accurate, by the way. There are very few minor errors like missing and's and the's in this book. (Which did not slow me down or confuse me, incidentally.) I ask any review readers who are put off by a few absent words (Which, again, in my opinion are not vital to the story and not at all difficult to maneuver around.), to imagine how hard it must surely be to publish a book all by yourself while holding down a demanding job to provide for your family. Please respect this genius, hard working author's DIY (do it yourself) status at the time this book was published. Reverend Rage did not have the literary support that authors like Charlaine Harris, Laurell K. Hamilton, and many other best selling authors have, though I believe it's only a matter of time before he has the backing to equal those writers. In fact, I've read books by some of the afore mentioned best selling authors that had plenty of errors in their books, and I've noticed that no one said "boo" about the grammatical errors in their book reviews for these best sellers. I am confident that people will soon stand up and take note of Reverend Rage's innovations, and he will gain the reverence that he deserves! This book, as it stands, is more than worth the humble price that the good Reverend Rage is asking! I hope that you will do your homework on Reverend Steven Rage, and that you will read his all of his books. I know that if you do these things, you will find that he is more than worthy of our support and your research time!

4.0 out of 5 stars vivid, explicit, inventive and engrossing...with fangs on it!, May 30, 2009
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
Overall, I found this to be a great, rather grizzly book with a fine grasp of horror, modern culture and even a certain reverence. Rage blatantly gawks at the darker side of our modern world and draws certain biblical parallels...using vampires. He adeptly mixes our current youth venacular with graphic, brutal horror imagery, a respectable dark poetic prose and a decisive intelligence. This is an author I'd like to see more of. The violence, and sex references are raw, explicit and he just holds nothing back. His grasp of the underside of our culture and the drug trade filter through in a gritty, unapologetic in-your-face prose. But he's not afraid to display an impressively morbid poetic side. The plot is well-thought-out. It is a grimly well paced thrill ride of horror and suspense. You just have to keep turning pages to see what happens next. His parallels to the modern story and the biblical text of the last days of Jesus are inventive and inspired, in a grotesque deformed sort of way. There is material here that I'm sure would cause religious conservatives to say, "There is blasphemy here that would make Jesus roll over in his grave (you know, if he hadn't already risen from the dead)!" Yet, there is a strong, revery that shows a certain connection to faith. Personally as an agnostic, I would have enjoyed the book more if Rage had avoided the religious connections and just stuck with a straight vampire story. But that's just my personal opinion. There is a religious connection that comes together as the book rolls along, but it is still a graphic, nasty horror tale with vampires, drug lords and even a little sex. Rage's command of story and pacing shows a lot of promise for the future. And although I'd like to see him stick to more strictly secular horror stories, this is a brutal, graphic author I'd like to see more from. As someone who enjoys graphic, explicit horror, I can strongly recommend this book...and keep 'em coming, Steven! Never let your fangs go dry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty n Gruesome!, April 2, 2008
Rick Halada (Two Rivers, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
This enthralling story elaborates on Pontius Pilate's ill-fated destiny and carries the reader into the vivid depths of utter horror in this modern day Biblical vampire story. A truly well-written fable with a good moral message for our detached society...when good people do nothing; evil flourishes. Looking forward to the second installment in Rage's series!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars All the Rage, May 3, 2009
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
Ok this is my second go at writing a review about Pilate, so here goes. I read Pilate over a few weeks, and after reading this book I actually read it again a few weeks later. There is so much going on in Pilate, and sometimes I got a little lost in the story. But although I am not myself a religious person, I think Stephen did an excellent job of taking a known figure and story and twisting it into an original and entertaining (if not devilishly dark) tale that can be enjoyed by anyone lacking a weak constitution. The details and exacting descriptions he gives in the telling of this story are graphic and perfect, unlike anything I have ever read so far. The imagery in this book is awesome, and everything comes together nicely at the end. I like the buildup to the climax, its heady, dark and heavy, and fitting to the tone of this writing. Kudos to you Stephen, keep up the twisted writing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steven Rage has written an enthralling horror tale, March 27, 2008
This review is from: Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale (Paperback)
The Harbor is a crime filled, drug infested place. In that environs Pilate is a notorious drug dealer working for mob kingpin Herod. Over the past few months Pilate has failed to meet his assigned quota so his superior fires him and replaces him with an even more ruthless soul. He also has Mary Magdalene murdered. Pilate brings Mary to Immanuel, whose disciples insist she is the Christ. She raises Mary from the dead and kisses Pilate resulting in his remembering his past lives.

Except for his first life, Pilate was a vampire performing evil deeds during the Inquisition; during the California Gold Rush and he feasted while the plague devastated London. He kept on making the same errors and Immanuel knows her time has arrived to fulfill her mission on earth. Will Pilate betray her as he has done when she was Jesus or will he finally learn the eternal lessons?

This is not an inspirational work nor is it blasphemous (at least in my liberal mind). The story line uses biblical villains and places them reincarnated in the present where they repeat their evil deeds as they have done often in the past, but documented two millennia ago. Immanuel and the disciples with the exception of Judas, who finally remembers his first betrayal, are treated with respect and honor in this unique religious horror thriller. Steven Rage has written an enthralling tale that brings back the time Jesus walked Israel to his walking the present United States.

Harriet Klausner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale
Pilate: A Brutal Bible Tale by Steven Rage (Paperback - January 5, 2008)
$12.95