Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: Audio CDChange

on July 4, 1999
i attended erics concert in knoxville tn. excellant in every sense of the word.
on September 2, 1999
Eric Clapton reached the peak of his popularity in the '90s, as the back-to-back number one albums Unplugged and From the Cradle albums combined for a total of over 13 million sales in the U.S. alone. One strange thing about his success is that it relied almost entirely on covers and new versions of classic hits; he released no albums of new material between 1989's Journeyman and 1998's Pilgrim. In the decade between the two albums, he had two new hits -- his moving elegy to his deceased son, "Tears in Heaven," and the slick contemporary soul of the Babyface-written "Change the World" -- and Pilgrim tries to reach a middle ground between these two extremes, balancing tortured lyrics with smooth sonic surfaces. Working with producer Simon Climie, his collaborator on the TDF side project, Clapton has created a numbingly calm record that, for all of its lyrical torment, displays no emotion whatsoever. Much of the problem lies in the production, which relies entirely on stiff mechanical drumbeats, gauzy synthesizers and meandering instrumental interludes. These ingredients could result in a good record, as "Change the World" demonstrated, but that's not the case here. Whether it's soul, blues or pop, all the songs on Pilgrim suffer from this monotonous production. Unfortunately, Clapton doesn't want to shake things up -- his singing is startlingly mannered, even on emotionally turbulent numbers like "My Father's Eyes" or "Circus." Even worse, he's content to settle back instrumentally, playing slight solos and fills that are as colorless as the electronic backdrops. The deadened sonics would make Pilgrim a chore even if there were strong songs on the record, but only a handful of tunes break through the murk. Considering that his previous studio record, Journeyman, was a fine workmanlike effort and that From the Cradle and Unplugged crackled with vitality, the blandness of Pilgrim makes it all the more disappointing.
on January 18, 1999
Eric Clapton's newest release, Pilgrim, released in March 1998, is what I would refer to as "Clapton-lite." For those of you who love his music but don't need yet another album with the repeated pentatonic blues soloing, this is one for you. Brilliant pieces incorporating orchestra and drum machines mix with Eric's soothing voice to combine a truly unique perspective on a profound and mature artist. This piece is exceptional in that Eric does not rely on the electric guitar as his only means of representation anymore. This could be one of the very best albums of his entire career.In his interview with Larry King in February 1998, Clapton said he was more proud of this piece than everything before because he co-wrote most of the album. He took a personal stake in the effort. He is proud of the artist he has come to be. "Brokenhearted", "Born in Time", "Inside of Me" and "Pilgrim" are splendid tracks featuring Eric as a highly competent singer/songwriter. Mellow and extremely introspective, Pilgrim stands out as a landmark for Clapton. Here's a guy with a guitar, a great voice, and above all, a lot on his mind.
on February 9, 2001
Like one of the earlier reviews, I too was disappointed with this album when it first came out as I compared it to the brilliant 'From The Cradle' (which incidentally I rate as being in the top 5 blues albums ever). Pilgrim just sounded too 'poppy' and was radically different from 'From The Cradle' which was very raw (it was recorded live).
I actually think Clapton has always produced rather patchy albums (apart from 'FTC') and so was not that surprised that it appeared to be a bit naff on first listenings.
About 6 months later, I was on the tube one evening when a guy next to me was telling his mate that Pilgrim was brilliant. I went home that night and listened to it again ... and again. I now have no hesitation in saying that it is now EASILY Clapton's best record (with the exception of FTC). There is only one average track on it. About 80% of them are brilliant. The drum machines don't matter. The songwriting is superb, guitar playing as brilliant as usual and Eric is actually developing a decent voice. Play it loud and play it often.
Here's to Reptile ... the new CD.
on June 25, 1998
At 47 years I continue to listen to and look forward to the continued evolution of Eric Clapton's mastered craft. After many many listenings of Pilgrim it struck me that the understated guitar playing that everyone talks about on this album is not understated at all but in fact Eric has achieved the ability to sing through his guitar in a way that can only be acheived by a person who has played for over 40 years. The track "River of tears" brings tears of joy to my eyes at the shear beauty of the story, composition and rainbow of sound color. In addition Eric has certainly proven that his vocal talents are in top form for a person in his middle years. It is appropriate that Mr. Clapton not try to revisit his younger Cream years and instead explore his fully developed seasoned talents in a way that is unique and totally enjoyable to me. Great Great album.
on December 29, 1998
I purchased this CD a few days before my son was killed in a hit and run accident. I could relate to every song. This is a different Eric Clapton who has been where I am now. For two months, I could not listen to any other music other then this CD. Listen to Eric's pain in "River of Tears." "Broken Hearted" and "You Were There" also have a strong message. For those who think this is not the old Eric Clapton "GET A LIFE." This shows how versatile he is and how he can take music to another level.
on May 15, 2005
The kind of album that you buy with anticipation, play a few times waiting for it to grow ('it will, I like Eric Clapton!"). The last few times you start using the fast-forward button to get to the few songs that perhaps had something to them. Then you give up on them as well. Then you bring it to the second-hand record-store where some guy puts it in the won't buy stack. By far the worst I've heard from Eric Clapton. You remember those soul-less overproduced dance records of the eighties with skimpy-clad american broads doing voice-overs on synthesizers played by studio 'musicians'? Well this is not far off in terms of soundscape...steely blues as in no life, no organic matter. Flat. Luckily EC rebounded after this. But I wish he would stay clear of middle-of-the road numbness like this. His 'Journeyman' album -- that predates this and is in another league -- is a much better choice. But even that one sometimes has a tendency to numb rather that bring alive. This thanks to sudden and inexplicable retreat into playing it safe after some sublime initial kick-start fire chords.
on December 7, 2005
I recently had the thrill of my musical life: I saw Cream at Madison Square Garden and witnessed Eric Clapton play with the kind of fire, passion and intensity I thought he had lost forever.

Subsequently, I have been re-exploring all the Eric Clapton discs in my collection. "Pilgrim" was given to me some years ago as a gift, and I couldn't remember why I hadn't played it in years. One listening made me realize why: What an incredibly mediocre album. There is not one thing on this disc that would even give the listener a clue as to Eric's talent. With the exception of "My Father's Eyes", the tunes are lifeless and forgetable. And the guitar playing (what little of it there is) is muddy and totally ordinary.

It pains me to write these things as Eric Clapton was the most important early inspiration in my electric guitar playing. But after seeing him return to the type of intensity he had in the Cream and Derek and the Dominoe's days, I can only hope he can bring a fraction of that to his solo releases.
on August 17, 2004
(Actual Rating- 1.5 Stars)

Pilgrim(1998). Eric Clapton's Thirteenth Solo Studio Album.

After the critical smash of 'From The Cradle', Eric Clapton's comeback album, he then rocketed to the bottom of charts and critics with his New Age, Trip-Hop hybrid expiriment, and the resulting album, 'Retail Therapy'. For his first studio album in years, Eric Clapton decided to do another Blues album, and in 1998, 'Pilgrim' was released. Upon its release, 'Pilgrim' was greeted with decidedly mixed reviews, but nonetheless the album debuted at number four and stayed in the Top 10 for several weeks on the success of the single "My Father's Eyes." Over the years, the album has been criticized, yet hardly ever recognized. So, is 'Pilgrim' and underrated blues masterpiece or just a plain boring album? Read on to find out!

Track Ratings-

Clapton went for a decidely more R&B/Blues/Jazz/Gospel style of music, and on 'Pilgrim', you can't help but tell. "My Father's Eyes" is an R&B ballad, but nothing other than the chorus stands out. Through and through, Clapton disappoints, with "River of Tears" using boredom as an instrument and the album's title track giving new meaning to the word repetitive. "Broken Hearted" features background additions of Bagpipes and Acoustic Guitar, yet the melody's just boring. Would you like me to waste any more of your time? Take my word, "One Chance", "Circus", "Going Down Slow", "Fall Like Rain", "Born In Time", "Sick And Tired", "Needs His Woman", "She's Done", "You Were There", and "Inside of Me" are all tired R&B/Blues ballads, with Clapton's *boring* vocals and depressing lyrics about his son's death marring down the album. Sure, there's a few parts that actually sounded like Cream and Blind Faith's former guitarist was here, but just imagine Boyz 2 Men with an electric guitar. If YOU like that, you might as well pick this album up! If not, back away from the "Cart" button!

Overall, 'Pilgrim's a disappointment, and it's sad to see an artist who was once in Cream and Derek & The Dominos reduced to this. If Clapton's supposed to be one of the greatest guitarists of our time, then how come he sounds exactly the same and tired on each track? Obviously it's time to retire! Actually, just start doing ROCK music again, and we might actually like you.

Recommended Instead-

Slowhand- Eric Clapton

Layla And Other Love Songs- Derek & The Dominos

Disraeli Gears- Cream

Thanks For Reading!
on March 14, 2002
I'm a 18 year old rock n'roll chick who thinks Eric is definitely one of the great guitar gods of music but I must admit I really didnt like (ok, hated) "My Father's eyes" when it first played on the radio (partly from overplay)and I felt HORRIBLE for Eric because he turned out such a disappointing piece of music. I thought it was a bad turn from the great hard core classic rock i had so loved from the master. HOWEVER, just recently I started listening to his more recent work and now i think Pilgrim is DEFINITELY one of his BEST ALBUMS EVER!!! It was not till after the second time I listened to the album did I truly love and catch the point of the album.
One must understand that a truly great artist cannot dwell in the same style forever for they are always growing, changing. Those who expect Eric to be boxed into the "Layla" and "Sunshine of Your Love" mode till the end of time can just continue to hang on to their little trapped moment of time with their finger nails. Otherwise, who cares about the electronic bass or drums or whatever in the backround? The whole point of the songs is the man!!!! His vocals is soul stirringly great that just seeps of real raw emotions(Broken Hearted, Circus). I believe his voice has definitely matured over the years and is so great now that the quality alone could carry the whole album. His guitar notes are perfect and hits the spot right on. The man is definately feeling the blues! I say this not as some pity note because of the death of his son and heartbreaks in his life. Being able to tap into that emotional well like Eric has been able to does not have to come from a specific incident. I just think he understands and captures the emotions perfectly in this album bar-none!!!!A must own!!!CLAPTON STILL RULES!!!