Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pilgrim
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

100%
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on February 18, 2001
Richard has access to places most people do not. Take, for example, His Holiness the Dalai Lama. His Holiness is not accessable to you and I on the level that Richard has. Richard shares private photos, such as plate 63 where His Holiness is in meditation. The photo alone portrays a depth of intensity that the experience offers. Richard also has a true sense of the tragedy of the Tibetan people and can deliver that in a light that few people can ever grasp, even after several trips to the region. Richard is the Pilgrim and we are fortunate to be able to see things in a way he does. Very few photographers can say that of their work. Perhaps it is due to his experience in film, perhaps as a result of his practice as a buddhist, maybe just because the openness of his sharing is felt in his work, regardless of the medium. Thank you my friend for sharing your life with us and a wonderful book.
on August 28, 1998
I cannot look at this book without crying. It is very beautiful yet pierces my heart with sadness, I believe that the plight of Tibet is the canary of our planet. This book is about an amazing and gentle people and my hope and prayer is that it will generate more compassion . The text is very direct and simple and is not next to the photos but at the back. One quote stuck in my mind, "It's all ego." You can see these photos with your heart and they will melt it, if you are open.
on December 9, 1998
This book was exactly what I expected from such a sensitive and intelligent man. Thank you, Mr. Gere. We need our hearts broken now and then.
The pictures are not supposed to show images but meanings. That's exactly what they do. They are visual metaphors, inviting us to see what is not visible. The first one, more than any other, in its deep beauty, allows us to catch a glimpse of a spiritual state or an epiphany. If I had taken it I would feel forced to share it with everyone, as Mr. Gere kindly did.
on January 28, 2015
Though I hope to visit Tibet one day in person, Pilgrim gave me an intimate look. I especially liked that the photo captions were not under each photo, but rather at the very end of the book. This gave me freedom to see everything without my mind attributing facts.

There is more to say, but then your mind might think of what I have written here when you turn the pages of Pilgrim.
on March 19, 2015
I only recently discovered this book and feel fortunate to have found a copy in excellent condition. Its 12"x13" size makes it feel like a friend sharing an album of photos that are very important to him. For me, viewing the photos first and then reading the descriptions in the back of the book made it quite a meaningful experience. The words of the Dalai Lama and Mr. Gere's eloquent introduction helped me to better understand and empathize with the people of Tibet. I am thankful for his compassion and will keep this book available in my home to share with others.
on March 4, 2008
Stirring, compassionate, profound. One of my favorite books of all time. One of the most poetic books of photographs ever created. Best wishes to Mr. Gere.
on November 13, 2007
This book is really special. The cover, first of all, feels so wonderful. The pages are on incredible quality paper. And the photographs are incredible. It's really a wonderful book.