5.0 out of 5 stars No pet owner should be without this book

2.0 out of 5 stars A Great Idea that is very outdated
Published on March 21, 2007 by L. Pelaez

2.0 out of 5 stars A Great Idea that is very outdated, March 21, 2007
L. Pelaez "dogsbest" (Hollywood, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I have used and recommended the human version of this book to patients and feel that it is VERY Useful. Jumped at getting the pet version as soon as I ran into it. The concept is great with this version also but, with a copyright date of 1998 it is VERY BEHIND the times and many of the things were not listed or, as someone else pointed out--poorly indexed and hard to retrieve.

Good idea but not current enough or indexed well enough. A new version would be a gold mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars No pet owner should be without this book, January 8, 1999
By A Customer
I am a veterinarian board-certified in the specialty of internal medicine. I found this book to be an outstanding resource for pet owners. The book is very comprehensive and each drug is discussed in very clear and easy to read language. Every pet owner should have this book at home and refer to it every time their veterinarian prescribes a drug for their pet. I assure you, no matter how thorough your veterinarian's office is in discussing prescribed drugs with you--including side effects, drug interactions, signs of overdosing, and much more--they will not convey as complete a discussion as found in this book. I have purchased several copies for our animal hospital so that all staff members can have full access to the information in order to discuss the drugs with pet owners. I commend the authors in producing an extremely valuable book for pet owners and highly recommend it to everyone who cares for animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, December 17, 2000
I write about pets for a living, as the author of a nationally syndicated pet-care column and three "... For Dummies" pet-care books. This is one reference that's always at my side when I'm working. Everyone with a dog or cat should have a copy, and it's a heckuva bargain at this paperback price. -- Gina Spadafori, author of "Dogs For Dummies," and co-author of "Cats For Dummies" and "Birds For Dummies"

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference but ..., February 23, 2006
L. R. Johnson (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
The content of this book excellent - a much needed reference for any pet owner. But, the index is severely lacking. Nearly 3/4 of the meds I've looked up in the index weren't there, either under brand name or generic. Yet, thumbing through the hundreds of pages within the book, I've found the medication. The publishers desperately need to improve the index to make this a truly useful reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Dog/Cat Parent - get this book!, December 18, 1999
I've used the Pill Book for years, and when I saw the version for Dogs and Cats, I was thrilled. Just like us, all dogs don't react the same way to medications. It's helped me keep track of what our dogs can and can't take. This book DOESN'T replace the vet, but it sure does help you know what you should be asking when you're talking to the vet! Next edition please!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this one!!, May 25, 2009
Terry J. Peavler (Buena Vista CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pill Book Guide to Medication for Your Dog and Cat (Paperback)
The advertising for this book is very misleading. I thought I was getting a book published in January of 2009, but that is just the paperback edition. The original was published over 10 years ago. This might have been a great reference book in 1998, but it doesn't include any of the medications our pets are on. Shame on someone!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference for every pet guardian, March 30, 2003
Cat Rescuer (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Having been in cat rescue for over 25 years, I have been in a position to have experience with nearly every medical condition under the sun. I bought this book years ago and it has been an indispensible tool in working with sick cats and knowing what the medications they are prescribed do. Too often people give their pets whatever the vet prescribes without knowing anything about the medication, its side effects or how it works in relation to other meds and I really believe that needs to change. This book is very comprehensive and covers everything from a description of what each medication does to side effects, cautions, correct dosages and also categorizes how it affects pregnant, young, or senior animals. I have used this book so often it is in tatters and it's time for a new one! I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and believe that every pet guardian should have a copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Check the date, April 21, 2009
H. Keller (Waukesha, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I have the earlier edition, and was delighted to see the new publication date and ordered a copy through Amazon.

HOWEVER, after it arrived, it appears (from the copyright info) this is a trade paperback edition of the 1998 work - not an updated edition. After suspecting this, I checked the index and failed to find several prescription drugs that I'm currently giving my dogs.

This is a good, if dated, reference. If you don't have it, get it. If you have the older edition, avoid the new edition.

And I'll be delighted to be corrected on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feline breeder and show cattery, November 11, 2001
Sue Gleason (DePere, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
being a feline breeder and in tune with feline medical problems when I heard of this book I ordered it tongue and cheek fashion.. Most reading material is for the novice and the books that are not cost a fortune.. I was amazed at the information within and feel all catteries should have this handy reference.. I would not be without it and I am ordering a few copies to give out for christmas gifts to fellow breeders and another for myself as mine is looking abused as I use it often.. such value for the price and easy to read and use.. Thanks to the authors for the effort and wonder if a update will be forth coming as new medications enter the field.. Sue

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those "must haves", March 2, 2004
Diane "pawsafe" (ELLINGTON, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
I run an animal rescue and would never be without this book. It lists everything from amounts to side effects. With as many animals as we see a yr, the side effects listing is more than helpful. I also wish an updated version were available as many newer drugs are not covered - but until then - this is the one to own.

The Pill Book Guide to Medication for Your Dog and Cat
The Pill Book Guide to Medication for Your Dog and Cat by Kate A. W. Roby (Paperback - December 30, 2008)
Used & New from: $3.76