2,639 Reviews
 (1,915)

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird, Warped, Wacky and oh so Wonderful
This is by far my favorite new show of 2011 (after Game of Thrones). In fact, it is one of my favorite shows period. The first episode confused me and will probably strike most people as flat out weird, but after the initial shock, you realize with each passing episode just how unique and compelling this show is.

American Horror story follows a family of three...
Published on December 1, 2011 by Monkdude

2.0 out of 5 stars A great concept, poor execution.
It seems that the majority or people who dislike this show are prudish, religious folks who are easily offended.
I wanted to add a review since I am not one of those people. I like a wide variety of films and find sex and violence are often aspects of some of my favorites.

Published 10 months ago by valis

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird, Warped, Wacky and oh so Wonderful, December 1, 2011
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews

American Horror story follows a family of three as they move into a new home called "Murder House" by the locals. Since the 1920's, people have been murdered in various ways and their spirits have stayed behind, trapped in the very place they died. In this case, the ghosts from all eras can take physical form as well as vanish in an instant. You slowly learn about the past of each spirit, which adds another element of depth.

The writing is always clever, twisted and surprising. I wouldn't call AHS scary (at least to me), but the music and visuals make for one of the creepiest viewing experiences I've ever had.

The cast is perfect in every way. You won't find much better acting on the big or small screen. Jessica Lange deserves a nomination of some sort come next year. There are also a bunch of guest stars from other popular movies and TV shows.

A little warning about the content. This FX show is really rough for a non-premium station. They push the sex, language and violence further than I thought they would be allowed to. It doesn't bother me, but this may cause some people to tune out. Not the majority it seems because it has already been picked up for a second season and it is the most watched debut show ever on FX.

Time flies watching American Horror Story. It is the only show I can think of that ends way before you expect it to. I always hit the info button thinking I've watched half of the show tops and it reads 58 minutes. It gets me every time.

If a mix of horror, suspense and drama is your thing, you have to experience this truly bizarre and beautiful creation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh!, March 3, 2012
I've waited a long time for a show like American Horror Story. I think a lot of people have because it's so different from anything else on television. I would compare it's insanity to that of Nip/Tuck, which makes sense when you realize the same creators are behind it. The first episode will probably confuse most people, but stick with it. Each episode will answer questions from the previous ones and leave you with even more than the last. The cast is beyond superb. Jessica Lange as neighbor Constance is the homerun of the series for me. She plays that role with such conviction and is very deserving of the Emmy Award she won. The rest of the cast is top-notch as well, including Connie Britton (you may know her from Friday Night Lights) who's character is put through an emotional rollercoaster throughout the entire season.

This show plays off as creepy more than scary, but it works splendidly. American Horror Story is definitely out there. Sometimes you'll just scratch your head and think, "what is going on?". Then you'll figure it out and it's well worth the confusion. They tackle some dark subject matter and this is really not a show for kids. You'll find a good bit of nudity and sexual situations for a show on cable. The language is pretty harsh as well, but the show wouldn't be as effective without it. My advice to anyone who starts watching this show, don't give up after the first episode. The second episode will clear up some questions you'll have about it and then there's no stopping there! This is one of the best shows on TV today. The originality, writing, and acting are all A++. I can't wait for season 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY a show to keep you on the edge of your seat!!, October 28, 2011
I was pretty OVER the crap on TV these days, with the limited few shows I like.. But then this came along. And I have something to look forward to on Wednesdays at 10. I haven't PLANNED to watch an episode of a TV show in AGES. It's about time!

It's also brilliantly done-- it's quirky, a little funny, definitely spooky, and make you jump at times-- Not to mention it's wicked sexy! One twist after another. Only four episodes in, and I'm HOOKED. Give me this show intravenously, I'm addicted to American Horror Story.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most entertaining TV show of 2011, February 15, 2012
Douglas King (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
With "Nip/Tuck" Ryan Murphy created a television show that supposedly revolved around the lives of two prominent plastic surgeons. The show, however, more often seemed more like a psycho-sexual horror story than it did a medical drama. So it was only logical that, for his next show on F/X (let's not even bring "Glee" into this conversation, alright?) he would just completely abandon storytelling based on any sort of conventional reality and create a show that exists within the loose, unpredictable, and often absurd genre of horror.

The first season of "American Horror Story" involves a family of three (Psychiatrist/Father/Adulterer Ben, Wife/Mother/Woman-Scorned Vivien, and Daughter/Teenager/Depressive Violet) as they try to make a fresh start in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, they're not aware that the beautiful and suspiciously underpriced house they bought has a history of various murders, suicides, and other brutality, and is haunted by not just one ghost, but a smorgasbord of the living dead (some malevolent, some benign).

Although Ben, Vivien, and Violet are the show's supposed main characters, the most important and powerful character on the show is really the house itself. It's made clear throughout the season that the house is its own entity; drawing people to it, driving them to madness, and then containing them once they're dead. (One of the few "rules" of the show is that anyone who dies on the house's property is doomed to haunt it forever.) Over the years the house had claimed many victims, so the show each week often introduces the viewer to a new character, usually from a distant past, whose tragic fate involves haunting what the neighborhood refers to as "the Murder House." Some of the macabre characters who haunt the house include the historical Black Dahlia, a Columbine-esque teenage mass murderer, a modern gay couple, a severely deformed young man, and a housekeeper who appears as a matronly old woman when living women see her and as a naughty temptress when men see her.

Every episode of the show is completely over-the-top, filled with all kinds of outrageous plot twists meant to shock, titillate, provoke, and crack up the audience. The show doesn't rely on slow, deliberate character development, subtlety, or nuance. In terms of quality, it's a long way from "The Sopranos" or "Mad Men." What it is: a loud, freaky, kinky, fun and addictive affair. Although for such a campy show, it does include a lot of prestigious talent: Jessica Lange (who won a Golden Globe for her scenery-chewing turn), Dennis O'Hare, Francis Conroy, and Zachary Quinto all add considerable acting chops to the whole deliciously decadent show.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great concept, poor execution., September 19, 2013

The concept of a show that touches on many classic horror themes is so ripe with possibilities. Unfortunately the show lacks focus. The term "Hot Mess" keeps coming to mind. Rather than slowly building a compelling story (a TV series is the perfect medium for this) , they go for a kind of fast-food delivery. There are secrets that do take the whole season to unfold, but the show tries to incorporate too many elements and characters for it's own good. By the end of the season I felt that I did not care what happened to the characters, I was just sticking around for the big reveals.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun & creepy, April 11, 2012
Momma Lisa "Lisa" (soon to be Arizona) - See all my reviews
This show keeps you on the edge of your seat & leaves you wanting more! Jessica Lange is brilliant as the woman next door. There are twist and turns you never see coming! Watch it..it WILL make you look twice before entering your basement! One of the most fun to watch tv shows ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Keeps Getting Better and Better, November 3, 2011
Sweden (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
I'm so glad that we are finally seeing Tate's backstory. I don't want to say anymore in case I ruin it for anyone. Anyway, the show just keeps getting better with each episode, and they are renewing the show for a second season!

I tend to shy away from the horror genre because I scare easily, but this show is worth it. Just the right mix of drama, humor, and creepiness to keep me hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, March 8, 2012
TooBlu (Centennial,Colorado) - See all my reviews
This is a show that is pure entertainment, with check your brain at the door, laugh out loud and clamp your hand over your mouth suprise. Lovely escapism with each episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEW FAVORITE SHOW, August 22, 2012
Honestly i do not get scared by anything and therefore my expectations were not for something that would make me scream like a little girl, which it seems is what some people have intended to find. We are no longer children and therefore do not fear like we used to and those who expect this are foolish. This show is original and tasteful and i love everything about it. I have never seen a show like this in my life and i am honored that it would come by in my generation. I am 19 years old and would recommend this show to anyone who is in the mood for some unique eye-candy. Each actor and actress surprised me and i fell in love with them all. A story concept like this does not come around often and the fact that the setting changes every season is even better. This concept has been used by shows that are fluid with who you see on television but i have rarely seen it done with a show that has a true plot line that deepens throughout. It gives the audience a chance to envision new elements of horror from different themes. I applaud FX for green lighting the show, the directors who have done so well with Glee and Niptuck, the actors who truly immerse themselves in their roles, the set designers, makeup artists, editors, and all those many many others responsible for creating such a dramatic and eery appearing show that has won my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Show, April 2, 2012
American Horror Story is the show that makes your mind keep turning even after the episode is over. It keeps you hooked and compels you to keep watching. It has all the elements you would look for in a good horror story and even beats most horror movies I've seen these days. I love the tone of the show, the Gothic realistic feel of it. The characters are very well rounded out, the parents facing the issues of cheating and loss, as well as their daughter facing her teenage angst. I frankly can't wait for a second season despite the change of characters and location, i am still really amazed at how well the first season was. The show kept you wondering and guessing all the way to the end. i won't lie, there were a few things i thought they could have wrapped up better, or even wrapped up at all, that they didn't but that didn't detract from the overall show. I will be watching season 2!

Rate and Discover Movies