5.0 out of 5 stars Read this with a notebook and pen close by
I have to confess I originally thought Pinterest was just for brides, foodies, and crafters. Boy, was I wrong!

Published on June 28, 2012 by Betsy Talbot

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat dated
Much of the info I had already discovered. Not much new. Also somewhat dated. Pinterest has changed, so some references to how to set things up no longer are the same.
Published 13 months ago by R. Cathey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this with a notebook and pen close by, June 28, 2012
Betsy Talbot (Traveling the world) - See all my reviews

This is the first business book I've read in a long time that required a notebook and pen. I could not stop the ideas from flowing! The book is not only a primer on using Pinterest for business, but also a great tool on using social media in general (and I'm not new to this).

What I really loved about this book is its wide range of focus on who could use Pinterest and why. I'm not a brick-and-mortar business or a nonprofit, but I still gleaned ideas from those sections as well. Specifically, it gave me great ideas as an author for promoting my own books, and I've already seen a financial return on my time investment.

It is a well-researched book with practical, doable solutions for your business without a heavy time commitment. Beth knows you still have a business to run, and Pinterest is simply a great way to drive more people to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Open A Pinterest Account Without Beth's Book!, July 1, 2012
Deb Baker "Lady Ellen" (North of Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinfluence: The Complete Guide to Marketing Your Business with Pinterest (Paperback)
I purchased this book 3 short days ago and have literally ripped through it. If you are doing any sort of online business, whether it's selling your products or services or just recommending other people's stuff...then you NEED this book. I kid not.

I've been online since 1999 with my health site (y2khealthanddetox.com ) to complement my practise of now 34 years and have spent a minor fortune in mentoring, courses, software, etc. I've written articles for ezine, Tumblr, Squidoo, Hubpages, etc., done the Digg thing, Facebook personal and pages and Twitter, etc. All have helped to some degree establish a presence for me.

Oh, yes and I've ridden the waves of Google's histrionics, through their Smackdown, Panda (not as cute a bear as I once thought) and managed to get unceremoniously relegated to their sandbox with a couple of my small sites..*sigh*

And if this wasn't crazy-making enough, I lather, rinsed, repeated the whole ball of wax for my fantasy book series, The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles (Book 1 is here on Amazon.) The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles: One - The Cimaruta.

Then a few months ago, I started to hear whispers about this "Pinterest" thing on a few membership sites I still belong to. Busy, busy...I really didn't have time to check out yet another social site..so I thought. It was Brilliant Beth's article "56 Ways to Market Your Business on Pinterest" from Copyblogger which appeared in my Facebook feed that finally drove me to Pinterest. So I opened an account for my author name of Lady Ellen and created a few boards following the steps in her article. It drove traffic to my site the same DAY! Ok, I was a fan.

Let's face it, Pinterest is a blast, great fun and my fave...visual. Love that. But did you know that as of Jan 2012, Pinterest drove more traffic to websites than Linkedin, Google Plus, Reddit and YouTube..combined!!??

Beth's book "Pinfluence: The Complete Guide to Marketing Your Business with Pinterest" is the best information and education you'll could ever receive short of sitting at a guru's elbow ( that would be Beth) on a daily basis.

Beth starts with the basics, gets you up and running, helping you to build an effective profile, pinning to your first boards, then to optimizing your sites and blogs for others to pin from, and grow your followers. You'll see how to link to your other internet real estate such as your Facebook and Twitter accounts and on to advanced techniques, even using the iPhone app. It's all here.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to benefit from the avalanche of traffic and activity that today is called Pinterest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original strategies and helpful advice, June 30, 2012
Earth traveler (California, United States) - See all my reviews
When a new social media trend comes along I generally like to buy a book so that I understand it before I dive in. I know, I know -- that seems old fashioned. But the reality is that getting my head around a social media site like Pinterest by reading about it first saves me lots of time and energy down the road. So when I started seeing many of my friends on Facebook posting links to Pinterest, I wanted to understand what the site is all about. Pinfluence was perfect for my needs.

Several things really stand out to me about this book. The strategy chapters are excellent -- and there are lots of strategy chapters (basically chapters 3 through 14 are all about strategy). The strategy chapters include everything from etiquette to how to build community.

The author works directly with small business clients, so she knows the real issues that they are dealing with. Best of all, the author is not a fan of marketing hype. Instead she shows one how to become more authentic and real in relating to followers (and potential customers) on Pinterest.

By the end of reading Pinfluence, I had a clear picture of where Pinterest fits within the larger social media universe and I had lots of great ideas for how to use this tool as part of my larger marketing strategy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Bible on Pinterest for Business!, July 6, 2012
Whether you are the hobbyist who might one day become an entreprenuer, the artist who is already selling your work on Etsy, the psychotherapist (like me) who works with the general public, a Fortune 500 marketing guy, or the non-profit group out to save the world, Pinfluence is a must read. The author has packed a whole lot of practical strategies into a tiny little book (<200 pages) and the great news is that she gives you success story after success story (with online links as proof) for each and every one!

Hayden's background in marketing and social media is evident throughout the book. She mentors the Pinterest novices by walking them through setting up an account with a business-building strategy in mind but she doesn't stop there.

For the more seasoned entreprenuers and corporate types, she has attended to our needs too in chapters like "The Care and Feeding of Pinterest Followers" and "Twitter, Facebook, and Your Blog: How Pinterest Plays Well with Others." She even includes a section on mobile pinning for those of you out there who are geeks and nerds!

My favorite chapter is "Learning by Watching: Tracking Trends and Monitoring Conversations." OK - it's not a riveting title but it is a chapter for the serious business user. Here she provides tools and information about how to monitor the search engine traffic that comes your way and how to engage your ideal clients once they find you.

Hayden doesn't shy away from creative ways of using Pinterest to address the unique needs of nonprofits, B2B companies, and blog-based businesses. She insists that every business providing either services or products can increase their numbers in search engine traffic and sales, too, by strategically using Pinterest. (And, yes, she does back up her claims with references.)

Being true to Hayden's professional and personal sense of integrity, she concludes the book with a chapter on the ethical use of Pinterest. After all . . . by pinning images onto your own pinboards, you are using images that other folks have created. Hayden walks you through a decision-making process that allows you to make the right choice for your business each and every time.

Overall impression? Pinterest - What a fun tool to boost your business! Pinfluence - What a fabulous title for the new Bible on Pinterest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hottest New Book on Hot Social Media Topic on a Hot Day!, June 23, 2012
Lori W "Art Camp for Women" (Westminster, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I practically ate this book for breakfast! The book is geared to work for anyone from the rank beginner to the more advanced Pinterest user. It is crammed with original ideas I haven't seen or found anywhere else. The 'Your Action Plan' at the end of each chapter is the best feature and very well done. I didn't have to take notes or try to hold the ideas in my head. By the end of the book Your Action Plan was for advanced users and I understood them completely. This book will cut about 3 months off the average learning curve (IMHO) and help me avoid making awkward mistakes. AND my business will have another user friendly contact point with the world.Pinfluence: The Complete Guide to Marketing Your Business with Pinterest

4.0 out of 5 stars For the marketer that needs a big boost in social media, September 30, 2012
As social media marketing manager of a small business, I decided to use this book to improve our internet catalog's presence on Pinterest. And I would agree that it provided me with useful tips.

Your level of usefulness for this book would depend on how well you know social media marketing already. I was already experienced with managing our company's Facebook, Twitter, and Wordpress pages, so it turned out I didn't really need to rely on this book for help with Pinterest. A lot of the ways the author suggests you to build your influence on Pinterest can be said for Twitter, Facebook, and all the other social media giants: create interesting, industry-relevant content that will help your website with search engine optimization. Interact as much as you can, and leave comments to those people you think will come back to your company profile/website. Run contests and sales. Don't let all your content be self-gratifying promotion. And of course, track the traffic back to your site and analyze your performance. Then rinse and repeat.

Of course the book gets a lot more depth into that, in its 14 chapters and 190 pages, but if you're already doing a great job with other social media platforms, there's no doubt you can tackle Pinterest on your own, or mostly on your own. Just play around with its features, see what your competitors (or similar companies) are doing with Pinterest, and test out strategies.

If you're really clueless with Pinterest, and social media is still new territory to you, then this book will be extremely helpful. Of course, Pinterest changes as all social media platforms do, to conform to new technologies and the needs of their users. I already see some changes in the Pinterest website that this book doesn't mention due to it being a little outdated, so don't be surprised if you pick up this book next year and its old ideas don't help you very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Pinterest plus some very smart social media strategies/concepts, August 26, 2012
I have been doing internet marketing for over 15 years now, and have finally given in and started building a social media presence for myself and a few clients. I bought this book because of the strong reviews, and because it is one of the most recently published books on Pinterest - this book came out barely 2 months ago at the time of this writing.

This is a very helpful guide to setting up and using a Pinterest account. The author very intelligently draws on other books like Content Rules and The New Rules of Marketing & PR. I got a lot of actionable ideas out of this and feel like I can get started on Pinterest with confidence after reading this.

At the beginning of the book the author says one of the smartest things I've heard yet about social media: Forget trying to be on all social media sites. Define who your ideal customers are. Find out where they are online and what they like. Then build a social media strategy around that. One of my biggest problems with social media is my worry about it being a waste of time in terms of ROI, but that simple suggestion goes a long way to avoid wasting time.

I also like the action plan items at the end of each chapter - these are a great way to give yourself a concrete task list to move forward on. I also like how the author frames "marketing" on Pinterest within the context of content marketing (buy the book to find out what that is) and content curation. Her definition of content curation is very different than the SEO/blogging technique that's promoted by Mike & Troy and other SEO gurus. They define content curation basically as using snippets of good content to build a blog post around. You do this because it makes creating more content easier and also because linking back to authority sites is an excellent SEO practice right now. This author defines content curation as the job of putting together closely related, relevant content. We'll see which definition gains traction.

I am not giving this 5 stars because I don't know how good the other Pinterest books are yet. This is the first book I've read on the topic. It is certainly very good, but it did not quite achieve "blow your socks off" greatness for me.

I may also be cool on it because the author expects us to be pinning things every day, and seems to assume we all have time to do that. This is my biggest complaint about all social media - the way it drains my already precious and limited time. I am always looking for a way to get the best "bang" for my marketing and time commitment buck, and this book did not quite deliver on that need as well as it could have. Ideally, I want a Pinterest plan for what can be done in 2-3 hours a month, because frankly that's all the time I have to give it.

If I could give this book 4.5 stars, I might do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hayden's book on Pinterest will give your business a boost, July 3, 2012
Beth Hayden's "Pinfluence" begins with a Pinterest primer, guiding newbies through a basic understanding of this remarkable content sharing service. The book expands to a robust step-by-step explanation of how to use Pinterest successfully for business purposes. Hayden offers an up-to-the-minute view of Pinterest that approaches its usefulness from content curation to relationship building through a series of detailed marketing steps. Stay on top of this latest business resource by reading "Pinfluence."

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole package, June 28, 2012
This book is awesome! Very readable and informative. I had little experience with Pinterest but I was able to open this book anywhere and understand what she is saying. This book will make Pinterest a great go-to site for anyone's business. I never knew it had this potential. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Social Media 'Must Have'!, October 8, 2012
I like social media and I do dabble, whilst I like twitter for catching up on news and reading, Facebook is my 'time out' to hangout online with family and friends.
I'm into digital art and digital scrapbooking and Pinterest seems to be the perfect channel for reaching and connecting with
my audience.
I haven't had a chance yet to go through the whole book yet, however what I have managed to read so far hasn't left me disappointed.
Very happy with my purchase!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›