Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on February 23, 2014
Well, the series and issues which are mentioned concerning the previous incarnation of this novel I believe are no longer a problem. I loved the flow of the story, the concentration on the characters, their personal trials and triumphs, and spacing of their personal details in a natural manner draws you closer to each of them individually. This style, versus the usual focus on the virus or event which caused the apocalyptic end of the world, made the work stand out in a sea of formulaic drivel.

I enjoyed it, I recommend reading it and I will now go despite the next installment.
on December 28, 2012
One of my first kindle singles back in the day, and one of my first PA Fiction reads. This is an amazing tale that has stuck with me even after reading another 400 books. Could posibly have been the first fix in my budding Addiction. Almost a blend of J. Druga and A. White, this read mixes the reality of the apocolypse with the magic of the human spirit. I recommend this book to EVERYONE at any age. Would love to read a sequel or any other fiction this author may share! Just letting you know I not only loved this book but I still REMEMBER reading it years later!!!
on November 20, 2013
"From the Apocalypse" sets itself apart from the zombie hordes of many futuristic stories. The author proves that it is possible to tell a really good, exciting tale without the zombie chases and without nasty people eating decent people such as in Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" - my own preference for zombies are comedies like Simon Pegg's "Shaun of the Dead".

Ping, book one, is heart-breaking (Kate loses someone she loves); scary (especially the beginning chapters), sexy (but not "50 shades of gray"-ish) and romantic.

When gazillions of people perish, Ping gives us a view of what a world without out more than a few survivors might become.

Both versions pose interesting ways for us to question ourselves. One example, if there were only a handful of people left, would they chose to procreate or would they decide it's better to let the now endangered human race species die out naturally?

The 2011 version of this book was an unforgettable read but seemed to have some missing chapters. The revised version has been very much improved in many ways. The original was a great story that made me want a sequel and the 2013 revision is even better than the original.

"From the Apocalypse" is worth reading more than once, for example, at the end of chapter 20, where Sarah says "Trust me, you wouldn't want inside a mind like that." her words become extra scary if you've read the rest of the book.

Cool fact. People who have already bought the original can exchange it for free because it is an e-book. Amazon support can help buyers of the original version get the update. Thank you, Amazon.
on September 1, 2011
If you are fond of turgid, colorful prose describing a character crawling back and forth to the bathroom to vomit for days (and chapters!), then you will probably enjoy this book. If, however, you desire tight, concise writing that moves the story forward, do not waste your money. If easy readability is important, this is not the book for you.

The author appears to have sat with thesaurus in lap, dredging up as many adjectives and adverbs as possible to cram into rambling, overly-complicated sentences, and replacing the common word with the unusual. Convoluted construction combined with dangling participles, sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and misused punctuation made reading this as difficult as wading through thigh-deep snow. When you first plunge in, you tell yourself it's not so bad, but after awhile your energy is sapped, your will is diminished, and you just want to find someplace to collapse and sleep it off.

There is nothing engaging about the main character, Kate. She is dull as dishwater, stumbling through in air-headed ignorance, without coherent thought or plan. Chapter after chapter describes her either waking up sleepily, or curling up with a blanket sleepily, or drifting off to sleep to dream dreamily.

This short excerpt sums up the first 35% of this book nicely: "For days afterwards, Kate brooded over the cockatiels, not eating or doing anything much at all. The water had stopped flowing from the taps that very day as well, which she took very hard; there were no worries of going thirsty of course, it wasn't that." [scene break]

What was it? I don't know. I couldn't manage to get past the halfway point. The rambling passivity and expansive incoherence defeated me.
on October 4, 2013
You will enjoy this book even if your post-apocalyptic tastes tend to stories like Cormac McCarthy's brutal Pulitzer Prize winner "The Road" which got a huge Oprah bump and became a 2009 movie starring Viggo Mortensen that is certainly not for children.

What makes Susan Lowry's novel special is that the reader will end up caring for her characters and wanting more when they've reached the end of Book One.

Fortunately, more is now available in "Ping Two: Across the Valley".

Imagine an illness brought on so quickly that even those who might save us get too sick too fast. Imagine something special about you leads to your survival. As a survivor you're soon going to wonder whether others have also survived. Kate's search for other survivors will keep you turning pages.

Note: if you're one of the many readers who purchased Book One, you can replace it with the revised version at no charge from Kindle ... just ask Kindle support how you do that.
on February 5, 2012
We start the story with Kate coming home and finding her husband really ill. She tries to call an ambulance but the phones are dead. Trying to get through the huge piles of snow, she tries to get to her neighbors house for help. There she falls ill. After a week, and horrible sores, she manages to come around enough to get back to her house. An unknown virus has raged throughout the world and only a few have survived.

But those that have survived have developed an ability to "hear" others in their mind. Kate talks with a young boy in Texas and works her way from Canada to him. On the way, she meets Jake and although falling in love with him but his past comes back to haunt her. She also meets up with her sister, after a horrible past, and work their way to a safe place to restart.

I admit that I love dystopian novels and this one is one that will be put on my shelf. It is a sad, lonely story as we follow Kate. I liked how the survivors could communicate and work toward getting together. I only have a couple things that didn't flow for me. The main on was when they got to the lake and then suddenly it was eight months later without any notice except a statement several paragraphs into the chapter. I honestly would have liked to learn more about the astronaut, there was a lot of potential and I was curious about him.

Beyond that, this is a great story. If you like dystopian stories, this is one that you will want to read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2014
First off, I understand that this was re-edited but it could use some polish. For me, there was too much use of endearing terms and a little too accepting of the circumstances and ability of the characters.
Now the important part, the story was really unique and not run of the mill apocalyptic. The cause was not nearly as important (and perfect for the story!!) which allowed for more to be said about post apocalypse events. With a bit more smoothing off, this would have gotten five stars. Well worth reading and I will for certain pick up the next part!
on December 11, 2011
This story starts off with a regular day. Slowly, things go wrong, first little things then big things and then it's the end of the world. Very much like a twilight zone episode. People that need an explosion on page one might not like it, but if you are reading it alone on a cold winter day, then you will get spooked. Check it out.
on March 20, 2015
I really enjoyed this read. I think it's probably a bit realistic of what some one is like when they have the flu, especially one that has killed 99.9% of the population. I didn't think that the beginning was 'overkill'.

The book wasn't really gory, but definitely an Apocalypse read.

I felt really connected to the characters and am looking forward to reading more of them and their world.
on July 10, 2011
I've been thinking about reading e-books for a while so I got the free Kindle for PC software from Amazon and liked that Amazon gave me three free classic books with my free software.

By now, you've guessed that "free" is one of my favourite words.

I was looking for a chocolate cake recipe and stumbled across the author's recipe website which brought me back to her "Ping" site where I read the first chapter for free. Like a fish, I got hooked by the first chapter and thought, for only a buck, what do I have to lose? Big spender me splurged and bought the rest of the book here at Amazon.

Best bang for a buck I've had in a long time!

I really love Susan Lowry's characters; I could not wait to find out what would happen next to poor Kate ... what a roller coaster ride! A good novel is one that brings the reader tears of joy and "Ping" is such a novel. Trust me, you don't want to put your makeup on until after you put away "Ping" for the day. That is, if you're able to stop reading it. "Ping" is definitely a page turner. Even just writing this review, I feel teary.

And guys, (most of) you don't have to worry about your makeup running, so please don't let this review scare you away -- it's alright to cry and I bet you sensitive guys will (but you'll try to be macho and hide your tears).

This week, I'm going to read "Ping" a second time because it's that good. I bet that you'll enjoy "Ping" as much as I do. I hope they make it into a movie too!