Customer Discussions > Animals forum

Pink Floyd. Baking a cake.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2007 4:21:52 AM PDT
Big Shrike says:
People who praise Waters and bag on Gilmour have a very narrow scope of music and musicianship. Reality...the reason you love a Pink Floyd song with its oh so wonderful lyrics might have just a little something to do with the incredible guitar, keyboards and drums. Nobody else was doing that kind of stuff! Look at all of the great songs the band created before Waters became the "conceptual master' of later years. Concept is one thing. Tone is the carrier. The notes and chords pave the way. Roger Waters would be a very, very small blip on the map without the musicians who helped to create the sound we know and love as Pink Floyd. Love and credit to all for an incredible body of work!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2007 11:38:37 PM PDT
Vish says:
I agree. In interviews around the time of Dark Side, Gilmour stated that the music had become just background noise while the main focus was on the lyrics. Although I'm a lyrical fanatic, if the music doesn't flow and carry the song well, it's not much of a song then. (Not to say that the music to Dark Side wasn't completely amazing.) I love Roger Waters' talented writing, but the dude should've learned to not try to control everything. He strangled the band and minimized their talented input. The funny thing about him taking over and writing the music for a lot of their songs is how simple some of his own bass playing can be. (See Welcome to the Machine and half of The Wall.) Pink Floyd is who they are because each musician is extremely talented. If Waters didn't get too cocky for his own good, he'd still be with them and they'd probably still be making music today and would STILL be constantly soaking up fans of younger generations. Notably, my generation. (I'm only twenty.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 8:56:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2009 9:00:56 AM PDT
olofpalme63 says:
"small blip" indeed. "Animals" is without question Pink Floyd's last real Pink Floyd recording. "The Wall" and "The Final Cut" are actually more about Roger Waters (personnal observations about his father and his experiences with Syd Barrett) than Pink Floyd. You can see the paralells in both of the aformentioned releases in all of Waters' solo efforts. Meaning...if David Gilmour would have been invited to play and sing on the "Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking" you would have swore it was Pink Floyd. Just imagine listening to The Wall without David Gilmour's riffs. The Wall would be a very bland concept. Roger Waters will NEVER reach the heights he achieved with Gilmour, Wright and Mason. And remember this; "(The) Pink Floyd" was Syd Barrett's creation...not Roger Waters. ...small blip indeed.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 2:05:31 PM PDT
Tony says:
as great as wish you were here and animals are, i would love to hear the original versions of what would have been their greatest album. i saw floyd one night many years ago perform what was going to be their next album to be released soon after. they performed the following songs in the 1 st half

raving and drooling
you gotta be crazy
shine on you crazy diamond (which included wish you were here) as a one piece suite

this album never saw the light of day. waters changed his mind.

you gotta be crazy became dogs
raving and drooling became sheep
shine on wound up as a 2 part suite

i think this version would have been their best work

btw you can hear versions of all 3 on you tube
sound quality is decent but remember these are live versions with no over dubs

btw 2 on the cd a collection of great dance songs you get a sense of what this might have sounded like as shine on pt 1 segues into wish you were here, unlike the version on wish you were here which has other songs in between them

btw 3 a bootleg called echoes of the past has floated around for years and i am not advocating the purchase of it

btw 4 here is the link for the complete version of pigs on a wing which was never released on animals nice gilmour solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CydPIf3b-Mc

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 1:15:20 PM PDT
Actually, the 8-track DOES include the entire "Pigs on the Wing", but that's a Snowy White solo, not Gilmour...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Animals forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 5, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Animals
Animals by Pink Floyd (Audio CD)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (765)