5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY TEN STARS BUT FIVE IS ALL THEY'D LET ME PICK!
Published on December 7, 1999 by Marie Groh

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concert - not so good DVD
After waiting years to see Pulse on DVD, I have to say I am disappointed with the DVD. The concert is amazing, but as already posted in other reviews, it was shot in video instead of film. The result is clearly visible and the image quality is poor - too bad, as the visual effects would look amazing on a large screen.

Anyway, it is still a must-have for Pink...
Published on July 11, 2006 by Erico Macedo

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY TEN STARS BUT FIVE IS ALL THEY'D LET ME PICK!, December 7, 1999
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It's hard to find words for what I experience when viewing this video. My husband and I watched it for the first time together and afterwords we agreed we'd have to watch it again to be sure that what we saw was real. This may be a BIT exagerated - but not much! The visuals on this film are extaordinary! The light show is amazing and so well choreographed! The sound is SO good and the musical quality SO superb that I have actually begun to PREFER many of the cuts to the studio versions! I've fallen in love with David Gilmore whose smile makes him look little boyish and sweet. The newly added Floyd musicians look like they cannot BELIEVE who they are on stage with and are having the time of their lives. 145 minutes of SHEER bliss from the first note to the very last! THREE SONGS for an encore - you cannot believe it when it happens! You imagine what you would have thought being at this concert and even getting ONE encore song - when they come out with THREE you are blown away - and they are lavishly done! I don't understand some of the reviewers saying that Gilmore seemed bored and unhappy to be there - seems to me that he is either concentrating on the current guitar lick or smiling at one of the other band members -trust me - he smiles a LOT in this video. I could go on and on but I won't. Let me just say that having already purchased this video I will be one of the first to put out more money the DAY this one comes out on DVD - as soon as we heard that it was scheduled for release on DVD in early 2000 we went out and bought a DVD player - THAT'S how much we loved this concert! My ONLY regret is that I missed it live and it was only 2 hours away from where I live! SIGH... well THAT won't happen again. For someone who wasn't sure she would like the Floyd without Roger - I have become one of their biggest fans! It also renewed my interest in the Division Bell which I had previously not given much time to. Now I am a devotee of that CD as well. Ok - now buy it! OR wait for the DVD! Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gilmour Explains the Delay of Pulse on DVD, March 30, 2006
goatswood (Goatswood, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse (DVD)
Why was the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD release delayed yet again? Hear the truth from David Gilmour himself.

David Gilmour Speaks! from the May 2006 issue of Guitar World magazine (Vol. 27/No. 5), "Shine On" an interview by Alan Di Perna. The following is a full quote from the interview concerning the Pulse DVD release (pp.96-98):

"GW: Speaking of live shows, why is the Pulse DVD coming out later this year, some 12 years after the Division Bell tour?

GILMOUR: It was out on VHS long ago. We had a lot of technical problems converting it to DVD. It was shot on video rather than film, which I now think was a mistake: it doesn't look very good when you enlarge it on a big screen television, which everyone seems to have these days. We'd been investigating all sorts of ways to digitally enhance the footage.

By the time we'd surmounted all the problems, it was way too late to make our November or December ['05] deadline. I didn't see any point in putting it out at the same time as my album (On An Island), so I asked that we put the release back until September".

Nuff Said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulse - Beats At The Speed Of LIFE, March 28, 2001
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Like most Floyd fans, I enjoyed Delicate Sound of Thunder as a satisfying live Floyd concert video...but then came "PULSE".... and made DSoT pale in comparison. From the opening "Shine On..." to the explosive closing of "Run Like Hell" your visual and auditory senses are assaulted with essentially the best of "Division Bell", a small taste of "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here"..but the cream of the concert is the complete performance of "The Dark Side of the Moon"!!!
The light and laser show that accompany the songs, as well as the inclusion of filmed shorts make the whole experience mesmerising. There are so many great moments in the video, such as Gilmore's solo in "Comfortably Numb" blares on as the lights cascade off the separating glitter ball, the computer graphic short used in "Time", the opening of "The Wall-Part 2" as well as the best rendition of "Wish You Were Here" I've heard; which begins a 3 song encore. For VHS, the quality is outstanding for both the visual as with the sound presentation.
Though I have owned the VHS taps since it was released; I will replace it with the DVD version when it eventually comes out. Highly recommended for all fans of Pink Floyd, as well as fans of great live concerts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pink Floyd Experience, December 16, 1999
J O'Malley (Long Island NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I was fortunate enough to have seen The Division Bell Concert in Philadelphia and was completely enthalled by the experience. Sitting some 100 yds away from the stage it's tough to completely appreciate the musicians on stage..and that's where PULSE come in.
David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Rick Wright & Co. are in top form playing back home in London. The Pink Floyd concert experience is brilliantly captured here. The performers, the light show, video screen and especially the music all come through with excellent clarity.
The complete version of Dark Side Of The Moon is re-created and still sounds wonderful. If you've got a great sound system even more so better....Pink Floyd is still very much alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Pink Floyd Video I Have Seen! If Only I Were There!, March 9, 2001
Matthew K. (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
The first time I saw this video was when my dad had bought it, and I watched it. I WAS AMAZED! The light and laser show was terrific, and of chorse...so was the music! They opened up the the powerful 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' which had an AWSOME opening to it! After that, they did the cool 'Learning To Fly', which had a VERY cool laser segment in the middle of it. Afterwards, they did a few cool songs from 'The Division Bell'. Then 'Sorrow', more 'Division Bell' stuff. They closed the first half with 'Another Brick In The Wall-Pt.2', then finished with the awsome instrumental 'One Of These Days'! First half of the show...COOL! Now, the second half....COOLER! The second half was a FULL live performance of 'Dark Side Of The Moon'!!! THE WHOLE THING! Floyd then finished the show with a powerful '3' encore finale! You heard right...'3' encores! The 3 finales were, 'Wish You Were Here'(performed outstandingly!),'Comfortably Numb'(the best version i have heard and seen...especaily David Gilmour's long guitar solo at the end!), and then finally 'Run Like Hell'(AWSOME!!!)! The show ended with a "Big Bang" (you'll see what I mean) Pink Floyd DEFINATELY blew the 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder' show OUT OF THE WATER! DSOT was still good, though. BUY THIS VIDEO IF YOU DO NOT OWN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I now have MY OWN copy of this video! IT'S WORTH IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a review of the real 2 DVD set: Please read!, July 5, 2006
Jenny (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse (DVD)
Alright my friends: Stop screaming reviews without viewing the actual 2 DVD Set to release next July 10. I already have it and I'm going to post a complete review for you:

First of all, let me say ya the long awaited Pulse DVD is well worth the wait. When a DVD is good enough you feel the need for more and more, that's what happened to me with Pulse after first experienced complete, including extras.

I don't think it's useful to write about the concert, isn't it?. Everybody knows it and all I have to say it's a stunning and landmark performance, better than Pulse CD. The band is inspired, the music sounds like heaven, and the marriage between stage-lights-screen and the band is beyond perfection.

So let's review about the DVD:

It's presented on 4:3 aspect, remastered and re-edited. That's true, I can notice several differences with the VHS footage, and I think they were right. The remastering is quite amazing, colours are rich, strong and brilliant. Some cameras show a cleaner angles than other ones, and from the worst ones you can notice some pixelations and softness (I think impossible to remove given the nature of the filming tapes, for Video at that time). Hands down for the direction: AT LAST YOU WON'T FIND A MTV CLICHED DVD!!!!. When you want to see the band playing...you see the band playing without distracting artefacts as the stupid and annoying 100 camera changes per second. The filming is elegant, and it's according to the music played. Also the cameras allow you, unlike Pompeii, to have a wide vision of the band, instrument, stage, venue, etc. Simply fantastic work and a lesson for every music DVD director.

The sound is the holy grail of the DVD. Outstanding, impressive, awesome. You actually feel like being there. It does sound live, and you can clearly notice the instruments, voices and sound effects!. Listen to that Gilmour solo on Comfortably Numb is the quintessential DVD experience. Loss for words, really the sound left me speechless.

Now why Am I giving this 4 stars?. Because of the lack of interesting extras. First of all, the screenfilms looks amazing...but they were put into a circled format, I mean, you can watch them like if you were watching the real screen on stage. What a pity!, I wish I had a full screen format of every film, especially High Hopes, the best ever Pink Floyd video. The sound of the screenfilms are from the concert.

The Say Goodbye... docummentary is quite short (15 minutes) and uninspired, boring. Nothing to take care about. I wish I watched revealing interviews, high quality footage (the footage used is rather poor), rearshals, etc.

The Bootlegs section is the most dissapointing stuff from the set: low quality audience mix from 3-4 cameras each song. After watching and listening to the magnificence of the main concert, watching and listening to the bootlegs is pretty much like a suicide. They should have put high quality audio of those songs instead, I know they have them!. Also there's no Astronomy Domine, sorry friends.

The Booklet is rather small, but nice.

Overall, the main concert is the reason alone to buy this DVD. I strongly believe that the extras on Classic Albums: Dark Side Of The Moon were more instructive and useful than the extras presented here. Except for the studio videos, the rest is forgettable. Anyway, the presentation of the main concert and the watching and listening experience is uplifting.

Unless we'll get the long awaited and asked Pink Floyd The Wall Live DVD (Roger still has the tapes hidden in his closet with dust!) this is the holy grail of Pink Floyd DVD's. High Hopes

5.0 out of 5 stars PINK FLOYD'S PULSE IS THE GREATEST GIG IN THE SKY!, June 19, 2000
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
First of all Pink Floyd is my all-time favorite band. David Gilmour is a genius, amazing artist, singer, and musician. "Pulse" is the culmination of ALL of what makes Pink Floyd so spectacular. Their music is awesome but their live show is SIMPLY THE BEST YOU WILL EVER SEE! It has the most impressive lighting (complete with lasers), and special effects of any concert I've been to! (I've seen at least 50 popular bands.) Hats off to Marc Brickman, the lighting designer as well as the director, David Mallet and everyone involved in this great video production! Also, the giant screen which plays video footage is definitely worth mentioning; however, I'll save all the other numerous surprises for you to enjoy as you watch this!
What impresses me the most about Pink Floyd is they keep getting better! I saw this concert live and it's their tour for the awesome "Division Bell" CD; which is my favorite of all their work! That says alot looking at their enormous portfolio through the years!
The approximate running time is 145 minutes; and you'll be on the edge of your seat the whole time! This video is a must own if you are a Pink Floyd fan and if you can only afford one--this is it! It has all their old great ones like "Money", "Breathe", "Us and Them", "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here" plus their newer ones from "THE DIVISION BELL": the great "High Hopes", "Coming Back to Life", "Take it Back" and "Keep Talking."
I hope they "keep talking" because I'll always be listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's finally here!, October 19, 2005
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse (DVD)
This is it guys. The official DVD of Pulse is coming and it's got loads of bonus features:

DISC 1

Take It Back

Coming Back To Life

Sorrow

Keep Talking

Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)

One of These Days

Screen Films:

Speak To Me (graphic)

On The Run

Time 1994

The Great Gig in the Sky (wave)

Money

Us And Them 1987

Brain Damage

Eclipse

Alternate Screen Films:

The Great Gig In The Sky (animation)

Us And Them 1994

Behind the Scenes Footage:

Goodbye to Life As We Know It

Wish You Were Here:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Photo Gallery

The DVD boasts a 5.1 audio soundtrack and rare video footages including the entire Dark Side Of The Moon backdrop films land the not very known Maney alien version. The DVD lasts well over 3 hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD release pushed back?, November 1, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Just an update on the DVD release. It now looks like the DVD will be released on February 5. I hope that this is the final release date change and have my fingers crossed. I, like many of you who have already posted here, have been waiting for the DVD release of this concert and I plan on getting it the day it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Pink Floyd DVD...until they'll release The Wall Live, November 3, 2005
This review is from: Pink Floyd - Pulse (DVD)
It's clear from this that Pink Floyd was not at all a destroyed band, but one very much alive. The video allows for a close-up glimpse of the band in addition to the light display, that might be lost to the audience at the actual concert. For that it may even surpass the concertgoing experience for those who prefer a more intimate musical experience.

At times it may seem that the younger touring musicians are more "into it" than the band, but then Pink Floyd has always been more reserved than some. The Floyd members show their passion in subtler ways. If anybody in the band has a tendency to be visibly animated, surprisingly enough (or is it?) it's the softspoken keyboardist Richard Wright, who reacts very clearly to the music.

"But if I have the audio CD, should I buy this too?"

Absolutely! Even though most of the tracks are similar in style, on some the combination of light and sound heightens the experience. Also, the video-only tracks are well worth hearing. But perhaps the most stunning difference is in "Sorrow". While the CD version takes a more mournful, softer approach, the video version is a hard-rocking tune that draws the most passionate playing out of all three members. If David Gilmour and Nick Mason are on fire, then Richard Wright is positively explosive on this song. Letting loose with a screaming, uncharacteristically aggressive Hammond assault, one almost wonders if the keys will survive such a performance (especially given the fire in his eyes!).

The only thing at all lacking on the VHS was the picture quality, which although good, is not up to modern standards of clarity. The long awaited upcoming DVD will rectify this.

Ps: Count me in too!, please release The Wall Live DVD in 2006. There's a petition which more than 5,200 fans have signed in!. We know there's a lot of footage both from Earls Court 1980,} and 1981, and Nassau Coliseum 1980. Also there's a documentary from behind the wall out there!. Even on the official site we can watch footage from The Wall Live concerts!. Please let it happen

Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS]
Pink Floyd - Pulse [VHS] by David Mallet (VHS Tape - 1995)
$24.98 $14.98