5.0 out of 5 stars A novel that dispels the dumb jock stereotype
Wrestling isn't just a sport to Bobby Zane and Ivan Korske. It's a way of life. From the midnight runs to the cutting weight to plotting maneuvers in their sleep, wrestling is all they think about during the winter sports season. Both compete in the 129-pound weight class, and both refuse to let anything stand in the way of the state championship title.

Beyond...
Published on June 8, 2005 by Teen Reads

2.0 out of 5 stars Great writing/ hate the ending
I read this class book, while taking a course in YA literature. I thought the book was well written and that the characters faced some realistic problems. I enjoyed the book right up to the last page. Then it was ruined for me.

Published 19 months ago by Librarian127

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel that dispels the dumb jock stereotype, June 8, 2005
This review is from: Pinned (Hardcover)

Beyond their mutual love of wrestling, however, Bobby and Ivan couldn't be more different. Bobby's school wrestling team is known throughout New Jersey for its winning record. His family, though rich, is troubled by his mother's long working hours and his father's infidelity, and news that Bobby's girlfriend might be pregnant leaves Bobby wondering exactly where his life is headed.

Meanwhile, Ivan and his small-town farming father are grieving his mother, who was a strong influence in both their lives, and Ivan's anger and loss are felt by everyone except for his neighbor Shelley, who encourages Ivan's talents. Ivan's only hope of leaving his backwater town of Lemmings is a scholarship to Western Arizona University, but his father wants him to attend college close to home.

Each chapter alternates a point of view, taking the reader through both Bobby's and Ivan's journeys to the state championship. Alfred C. Martino, a wrestling fan, brings the excitement of their matches into the story. Both characters have depth and devotion to the people they love, even though their commitment to wrestling sometimes eats away at their relationships. Reading this book will make you think twice about the dumb jock stereotype.

--- Reviewed by Carlie Webber

5.0 out of 5 stars a wrestler's review, November 16, 2008
This review is from: Pinned (Paperback)
Pinned is the brilliant conquest of two wrestlers determined to be state champions. Alfred Martino captures the hardships, and triumphs that a true wrestler faces, when he archives the wrestling season of the two best 129 pound wrestlers in New Jersey. Bobby Zane, and Ivan Korske. Both wrestlers have made wrestling their primary focus, and everything else just revolves around it.

Alfred Martino tells the stories of both wrestlers' wrestling season, with great lucidity. Chapter one begins Ivan Korke's story, and chapter two begins bobby Zane's. The chapters alternate between characters. The reader learns that Bobby and Ivan come from completely different backgrounds, and situations, and the only likeness they share is their fixation on the state title.

Ivan Korske lives in a more rural farming town with his father. They are still in the grieving process since the passing of Ivan's mother who was a big part of the family. Still, Ivan focuses on his goal, but the byproduct of his loss, is anger, which he unleashes on everyone besides his neighbor, Shelly. They have a friendly relationship, which really helps Ivan, but with the stress of winning state, for everyone in the community, he begins to make the relationship complicated. Is he better off without her?

Bobby Zane on the other hand, comes from a rich family, although he also has mother troubles. His mother is bound to her demanding job by long hours away from home. His high school is known through out the state for winning nearly every meet. Bobby spends a lot of time with his girlfriend, Carmelina. Just when he thinks it's time to dump her, so he can focus on wrestling, their relationship (and lives for that matter,) take a HUGE turn.

In the final stages of the book, as everyone expected, the state finalists are Bobby Zane, and Ivan Korske. As the reader now loves both wrestlers, this is a gut wrenching moment for the reader, because they know one must lose.

I read this book during my wrestling season, and I was so impressed by the true wrestler's experience that went into making a book. It is impossible to replicate the emotion of a wrestling season, unless you have been through them yourself. Alfred Martino and I know, we're wrestlers. We put our bodies and souls through so much, it hurts. But nothing compares, in any other worldly happening, to winning a wrestling match, and having the ref raise your hand. Pinned does a stellar job at capturing this feeling, and sharing the experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yea Pinned, April 21, 2005
Mark Shanahan kept me interested in Pinned (six CDs, seven Hours, unabridged Fiction, Listen & Live Audio). I remember the movie in the 1980's called Vision Quest which was about wrestling. This audio book sounded similar to that. This Young Adult Book kept me enthraled with the concept of two diverse boys and their ideals, I knew nothing of Wrestling since my High School days, I called my local High School and asked when the next match was, after hearing this. Great piece of audio work-Bravo for the writer and the narrator--Bennet Pomerantz, AUDIOWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wrestling book!, February 28, 2005
This review is from: Pinned (Hardcover)
I snapped this book up after I saw it mentioned in Amateur Wrestling News.I read it over three nights and really enjoyed it.My older brothers wrestled and one was 4th at the states years ago,losing to the eventual champion in a close match.It's amazing how the matches stay with wrestlers after many years.

This was a great read and I couldn't wait to resume reading after work each night.The 2 wrestlers,Ivan & Bobby are very interesting characters.You find yourself rooting for both but knowing only one can win.Besides wrestling, each boy is dealing with other stressful situations in their life.Personally I liked Ivan better and found myself rooting for him to prevail.

I also liked how the book showed the weight cutting and sacrifices wrestlers endure.I consider it the toughest sport there is.I recommend you pick this one up.I was thankful I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Situations in a Wrestling Experience, January 17, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Pinned (Hardcover)
Pinned, a novel by Alfred C. Martino tells the story of two wrestlers and the challenges they must overcome to become a champion. The first of the two teens introduced is Ivan Korske. Ivan comes from a poverty stricken town whose only hope it to earn a scholarship to leave his current life behind. Second is Bobby Zane who is facing family and relationship problems unlike any he has faced before. The story peeks into the life of a wrestler. You learn about cutting weight, long tiring practices and the pressures to succeed.

Throughout the novel, it's apparent that Alfred Martino has a true natural writing ability and knowledge of wrestling. But through all the talent and knowledge the novel still lacks many things, including and appropriate ending. Most of the book is spent building up to one match, the state finals, yet the story ends with no outcome. If there was a sequel then the current ending would have been perfect, leaving the reader wanting more, but since there was no other book the ending was a let down.

Even though the ending was a disappointment, overall the book was pleasing. I was able to relate the book and the struggles of both characters faced. I come from a wrestling background of 11 years and have struggled to make weight and deal with the pressure just like those in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read with caution: There be spoilers here!!!, March 24, 2006
Read A. Book "teenlitgirl" (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinned (Hardcover)
SPOILER: I'm a woman who has absolutely no interest in wrestling, but this book held my attention due to some interesting character development. That being said...what was up with that ending??? The entire book builds up to the final wrestling match and we don't get to find out who wins?? I was in shock and yelling %$#@(*&^%$#. By the time you reach the end of the book, you have picked your favorite (Bobby was mine), but the reality is that one of the two kids HAD to win. SO WHICH ONE IS IT!

BTW..I listened to the audiobook and the narrator did a decent job.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great writing/ hate the ending, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Pinned (Paperback)

I actually thought I had gotten a bad printing of the book, I went to the book store and checked out a couple of other copies just to make sure the last chapter wasn't missing. It wasn't.

I've been watching for a few years now for a sequel, but to no avail.

I had my husband, who wrestled in high school, read the book and didn't tell him about the ending, just to test whether anyone else would be as mad as I was. Yikes! He was really angry and told me to never give him a book like that again.

I can't imagine that any student reading this book wouldn't be upset by the cliff hanger. Had he actually finished the story I would have given this author's book a much higher rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, April 17, 2005
This review is from: Pinned (Hardcover)
Afred's direct story telling style and the sincerity of his voice take me back to my High School years. Anyone who played H.S. sports, had friends who played sports or witnessed families disintigrating will find this book very accurate. I read it in a few days and though cliched, did have a hard time putting it down. It most definitely took me back to some of my H.S experiences. His portrayal of a young man with a family in crisis is a poignant story within a story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for adolescents in individual sports, and their parents., March 27, 2014
This review is from: Pinned (Kindle Edition)
A very good explication of the high school wrestling experience and the kinds of pressures coaches, parents, and others put on the life of a teen, let alone the pressure a champion puts on him or herself in an individual sport such as wrestling, track and field, skiing, gymnastics, swimming or diving, for example. This is not "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" but you do want to know what happens next, although the course of events is predictable until near the last chapter, which, I found to be the biggest flaw in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to life!, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Pinned (Paperback)
Great inside story of the sport of wrestling. Author knows the sport including the correct vocabulary.
Best story of its kind that I ever read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pinned
Pinned by Alfred C. Martino (Paperback - October 1, 2006)
$7.99 $6.25