2,517 Reviews
 (1,203)

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate book reviewing tool
As a prolific book reviewer here on Amazon, it's a bit of a departure for me to be reviewing bath towels. What you may not realize is that the towels are an essential book reviewing tool... I read the books in my bathtub. Now you know.

Published on March 10, 2010 by Susan Tunis

3.0 out of 5 stars Towels is as Towels does...
With lot's of guests visiting, I was eager to get a new set of towels.

While I was pleased with the size of the bath towels, the hand towels are HUGE as are the washcloths. The hand towels hung stupidly on my wall racks.

Published on March 28, 2010 by Jarucia Jaycox

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate book reviewing tool, March 10, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

All joking aside, I have to admit that I was very pleased with the quality of the Pike Street towel set. The list price of $130 is absurd, but for $24.95 they're a bargain. The towels are soft and fairly plush. As others have said, they're not luxury towels, but are of a good quality for everyday use, and are much better than what you'd see in an average hotel room. My set are the cream color, and they're a rich, French vanilla of a cream.

So far they've held up superbly to laundering. And my set did not have any hanging threads that others have complained of. However, my favorite thing about these towels is that they really are generously sized. It makes a difference. I usually purchase bath sheets rather than regulation bath towels for my home use, but these bath towels are large enough to wrap myself up in comfortably. Even the wash cloths and hand towels are larger than you'd typically expect, which just gives the towels extra absorbency and utility. For instance, a folded hand towel makes an excellent pillow when reclined in the tub with a best-seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars great towels., March 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I intentionally waited a while in order to write this review. I wanted to see how the towels would hold up over a few washings, how I'd feel about them after they'd been subjected to regular use. I'm pleased - and a little surprised - to say that I like them better a month down the line than I did when I first received them. I find myself more, rather than less, likely to reach for one of them instead of my old favorites.

When the towels were new, I was unsure about two things: they had a kind of funny smell, first of all, a new product smell that didn't tickle my nose the right way. That went away completely after the first washing. Now they smell nice and fresh and like detergent, like towels should. The other thing was the color. The picture doesn't really capture how vivid the green is - it's called pistachio but if I'd been on the naming committee I might have gone with something more like "moss" or "lichen." The green is a little more vivid than what I see on my monitor (monitors vary, so don't take this as a given)- the stock photo is more pastel than the towels themselves (I'm holding one in front of me). I think the color is a pretty vivid one - not so pastel, after all - an acid, spring green with a strong yellow undertone. It's a color that pops, rather than fades. So the color wasn't quite what I expected, but I've grown to love it anyway. It's distinct, complex, and pleasing to the eye.

They provide what I'd call a "brisk" toweling experience. I don't mean that as a euphamism; it's not a criticism at all. I've noticed that towels come in two distinct types. There are towels that are "plush" and others that are "brisk," and higher and lower quality examples of each. I find it a little odd to dry off with a plush towel - it's like rubbing myself with a big velvet blanket, which doesn't feel right to me, especially in the morning. So I like a good brisk towel. These are soft, well-made, but they provide enough friction that drying off feels brisk and energizing.

I'd definitely buy this brand again, and do recommend it to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Towels is as Towels does..., March 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With lot's of guests visiting, I was eager to get a new set of towels.

I didn't believe another reviewer when they said the towels snagged within the first three washes until I received and washed these towels. Sure enough, one of the bath towels came from the dryer with a long thread hanging off the middle. I have front-open machines, so it's highly unlikely they snagged on the equipment.

That said, they are soft and it doesn't appear the decorative trim is shrinking in the dryer as some of my other towels do.

Overall, a good towel set for a very decent price given the quality of the material.

UPDATE: After three more cycles of house guests and uneven use of these towels, I find that the more frequently used ones are fading in color rather quickly. I'm quite surprised given how light they were to begin with, but it's noticeable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Towel fell apart with first wash., March 25, 2014
I was excited to receive these, and immediately put them into the washer and then dryer before first use. Imagine my disappointment when I took the towels out of the dryer, and one had unraveled! You can see for yourself what happened in the product images. It fell apart before I could even use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pike street towel set, September 12, 2010
Very poor quality, after the first washing the towels were shedding all over. The entire inside of my wash machine was covered with lint. Retured product to Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, March 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sure, being a hirsute man has plenty of upside, but there is a downside too. You ever try to dry off your dog after it got caught in the rain?

Suffice it to say, no matter how pretty and soft a towel is, it's not much use if it won't get you dry. These towels more than passed that test. But, then there's the next one: will they dry out by the next time you want to use them? These scored on that point too.

Finally, will they last for a few days without getting musty/funky smelling. These made it most of a week.

Big thumbs up!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality, February 9, 2010
This review is from: Pinzon Egyptian Cotton 6-Piece Towel Set, Grey (Kitchen)
After 3 washes, 3 of the 4 towels I bought started to frey! After 4 washes, the fourth towel started to frey. These are of very low quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shedding & snags galore, May 28, 2014
It's a shame the driftwood sets that I bought (6) did not look as good after they were initially laundered as they did before they were washed !

I'll post the pic of the lint filter from my dryer on the first drying cycle. Then I ran the load through the air only cycle for 20 minutes and again a full lint filter, then ran them again on air only for 20 min.and again a full lint filter. I was afraid at that point that if I continued to dry them I would eventually end up with a nothing load !

Snags: every item had between 12 & 16 snags after laundering. More on the bath towels and hand towels. Several so bad that the backing of the towel is thread bare. Will post pics. There is no excuse for this !

I have not used them so I can't speak to durability, but I do know that my other Egyptian towels from Walmart and Overstock.com did not shed and shag like these towels have done. I think it's just a case of "you get what you pay for" and in this case, it's NOT MUCH....Won't order again and won't use for guests.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overstated List Price, September 26, 2010
Pros
Fair value for $25 a 6-piece towel set

Cons
Requires several washes and dries to eliminate shedding
Towel is not 100% Egyptian cotton, as evidenced by lack of absorbency

Summary
$130 list price creates expectations that these towels do not live up to. These are not the towels you are looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars My towels fell apart after the first wash!, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Pinzon Egyptian Cotton 6-Piece Towel Set, Grey (Kitchen)
Well I think the title says it all. I purchased these towels in taupe on a lighting deal after Thanksgiving with the intention of giving them as part of a Christmas gift. Thankfully, my gift plans changed so I kept them for my family. I washed them per the label instructions, and dried on low as I do all of my high quality towels (they get extra fluffy that way). When I opened the dryer I was in shock to find that the right seam on ALL of the towels in the set were totally frayed from top to bottom. I am returning them today. Perhaps I got a "bad" batch but had to share my experience with the amazon community.

Pinzon Egyptian Cotton 6-Piece Towel Set, Grey