5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTLY EASY
Published on November 7, 2006 by Peggy

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever Design with a Major Drawback
This wine opener has a clever design, and is bigger than it looks in the product description pictures. It works by turning an internal corkscrew into the cork as the lever is pressed downward, then it pulls the cork out when you raise the lever. The lever is long so that you get enough leverage to make this easy. Here's a simple pro and con description:
PRO- I loved...
Published on November 18, 2008 by myoho guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever Design with a Major Drawback, November 18, 2008
myoho guy (Northern California USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PRO- I loved the foil cutter; it works really well
CON- Unfortunately, this device is not to be used on synthetic corks (the instructions warn not to) so this opener is only good for use on bottles with real corks.
As more and more wine labels change over to synthetic corks, this device is destined to being a large paperweight. Too bad, because it has great looks and the concept makes cork pulling a breeze, if you have the right kind of cork.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTLY EASY, November 7, 2006
Peggy "pab920" (Norfolk, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own several styles and more expensive corkscrews, but this one is effortless. The foil cutter takes seconds to perfectly cut, then a few more seconds and you're pouring the wine. What really impressed me was the absolute ease of removing those usually challenging synthetic hard globs. You can barely tell the pucture site, so the more creative types could use real corks for wreaths, etc. The added bonus of an extra screw and a wine saver make this product an absolute fantastic buy. If it doesn't hold up, I'll write an addendum. My experience with their other products is also of high regard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke on the first try!, October 21, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received the Pinzon Penguin wine opener set today, which gave me an excuse to have some wine with dinner! Always a good thing. We picked a bottle and used the foil cutter. It's very stylish and worked nicely. Then I dug the bottle opener itself out of the box; it's in there quite tightly.

The directions are virtually non-existent, just some numbered pictures showing the steps. There are no written instructions, no warnings about synthetic corks. I put it on the bottle, squeezed, moved the lever down and up and...nothing. I looked at the "directions" and tried again. Nothing. The opener was stuck on the bottle and wouldn't come off. My husband tried, and the lever jammed. He gently pulled it off the bottle. The cork, a synthetic one, was still fully in place and the opener was broken, with something rattling inside it. The lever won't move more than an inch or two, so it's useless after one attempt.

Since you don't know until you remove the foil if the cork is real or rubber, having a wine opener that doesn't work on synthetic ones is rather pointless. More and more wineries are distributing bottles with synthetic corks to prevent rotten corks from spoiling the wine, and the bottle I was opening wasn't a cheap one. I grabbed my classic waiter's corkscrew and bing bam boom, my bottle was open. At that point, we both needed a drink!!!

I did try the wine bottle stopper and it seems to have created a vacuum seal on the bottle but I am not convinced it really sucked the air out, which is key to preventing spoilage. It's keeping a persistent fruit fly at bay and for now, that's sufficient. I'll use my VacuVin wine stopper when I want to really cork it, because after my experience with the opener, I honestly don't trust it to work properly and am not willing to risk half a bottle of wine to find out.

As a side note, the person receiving this gift set has to figure out on his or her own what the foil remover and cork stopper are, because there's absolutely nothing in the box to tell you. I'm a wine enthusiast so I knew what they were, but a novice who is choosing this item as an easy way to open and store wine would be completely in the dark.

I would recommend the rabbit-eared puller, the original that started this how-can-I-quickly-get-into-that-bottle-if-I-can't-use-a-corkscrew craze. It's worth the money and it does the job. There's no shame in not being able to use a corkscrew, but there are better options than this!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great while it works, September 25, 2007
mindy (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set (Kitchen)
When I received the Pinzon Penguin, I would have given it 5 stars for its design and ease of use. Unfortunately, we opened a couple of bottles of wine and then it jammed. Amazon replaced it for me quickly and with little hassle. The next one was great.... we opened probably a dozen bottles of wine before it jammed. We had been very careful and gentle with it, since the first one had jammed. After the second one broke, I gave up and bought one at Costco for $[...] that is superior in every way. Works as well or better, much sturdier, and has opened more bottles of wine than both the Penguins we owned combined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, easy - and lasted 4.5 years, November 28, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We tested this for a couple of weeks in comparison to our regular "rabbit" opener, which we've been using for a couple of years. Some people in my family liked this one better, others liked the rabbit better. The major issue seemed to have to do with torque to open it: some folks thought pushing down and pulling up the lever on this one was easier, others thought the rabbit easier. Personally, I thought they were about equal. That being said, I like either of these better than I like most other types of wine openers---they're fast and easy! This one does come with the best foil cutter I've ever run across though.

UPDATED FEBRUARY 2013: Just broke this month after 4.5 years of faithful, regular (nearly every day) use.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, December 25, 2006
This review is from: Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set (Kitchen)
I purchased this item for a family gift exchange. Soon after the exchange, we wanted to try out the wine opener...WOW!!! It is almost too easy....several different wine bottles of all different styles were opened with ease in just seconds...I was so impressed that I have gone ahead and orderd one for myself and four more for gifts...i strongly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Locked problem fix, December 31, 2008
James Judd (Marietta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set (Kitchen)
I just opened some champagne with the opener and the cork was too wide to go into the chamber. That will lock this opener up! In order to fix it you have to stick your finger into the opener beside the corkscrew to push up a little ring that the cork normally pushes up for you. This 'shifts gears' in the opener and you can then operate the lever like new! I broke mine figuring this out, but hopefully you can save yours :)

5.0 out of 5 stars wine opener, February 13, 2007
This review is from: Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set (Kitchen)
I have tried many cork removers in my 72 years & this one surprised me that it worked so well. best for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put your cork screw away!, November 14, 2006
This review is from: Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set (Kitchen)
I have the hardest time with those old-fashioned wine openers. First you have to screw it into the cork. Then you have to pull the cork out. Then you have to take the cork back off the corkscrew. The whole process must take two or three minutes. It's excruciating! How can any reasonable person be expected to spend that much time opening the bottle?

When I get my wine home, it's party time, and I want the bottle popped and read to go in a minute or less. That's why I decided to try the Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set, and, OH BOY, was I impressed. This device has met my every expectation! It opens wine!! And it opens it quick. No more agonizing minutes spent with the corkscrew. Those days are long behind me thanks to the Pinzon Penguin. HOORAY!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars help, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set (Kitchen)
I just received this wine opener for Christmas and the corkscrew won't turn when you push the lever down so therefore all it does is push the cork into the bottle of wine. Hardly any instructions came with it so I have no idea how to fix it. Can anybody give me any help in how to get the corkscrew to turn? Thanks.

Pinzon Penguin Wine Opener Gift Set