Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pio Peep! (rpkg): Traditional Spanish Nursery Rhymes
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on April 13, 2005
It is so difficult to find good children's books in Spanish in the U.S. Most of them are simply Spanish translations of English language books. Pio Peep! is an excellent bi-lingual book containing traditional Spanish nursery rhymes and songs and English adaptations (I say adaptations because great care has been taken to preserve the rhythm and rhyme of the original). The illustrations are very well done too. I highly recommend this book to anyone raising children in a bi-lingual household.
on January 28, 2004
Since my infant twins are Cuban-American, I have been looking for children's books that will teach them Spanish while also teaching them a bit of their heritage. This collection of Latin American nursery rhymes brings together a collection of sweet rhymes that also appear in English. I'm always interested to see how the translator of this work chose to translate the rhymes. Often, the translations are not word for word, so sometimes I feel like I am reading a new rhyme. The adaptations are as interesting as the original ones. The illustrations are as pretty as the rhymes. I will save this book for my twins to give to their children one day.
on June 20, 2006
This book is amazing! As a bilingual Pre-K teacher, I recommend this collection for every young class. The Spanish nursery rhymes are classics and the English adaptations help make the book even more enjoyable for bilingual readers. These poems make meaningful rhymes in both languages that are sure to delight!
on April 18, 2013
This book has a nice collection of songs/poems that I sang as a child in Spain and I had forgotten. I was very impressed by the translations, too. They don't try to go word by word, but rather capture the essence of it and rhyme beautifully. I like to sing the songs in Spanish to my daughter, but even without the music they are excellent.
My daughter's spanish teacher recommended this book as a children poem's book and it has become a favorite in my family.
on March 16, 2014
This is a must have book!
I used to know all these fun rhymes growing up but now, as an adult, I have forgotten most of them. I was SO pleased to find this book so I can pass on the tradition and read them to my 18month old son. And by the way, he loves most of the rhymes already!
Every single page has great colorful ilustrations!

What I absolutely LOVE is that the English version is NOT a translation but a poetic re-creation. As they explain in the book, this is in order to preserve the charm of the original rhymes. (brilliant idea!)

These are the rhymes you will find in the book:

- Pito, Pito colorito. / Good morning early bird.
- A la rueda rueda. / Bread and Cinnamon.
- Cinco pollitos. / Five little chicks.
- Caracol, caracol. / To a Snail.
- Cinco Lobitos./ Five Little Wolf Pups.
- Almendras y turrón. / Almonds and Chestnuts.
- Tortillitas para mamá. / Tortillitas for Mommy
- Aquí puso la pajarita el huevo. / Here the Bird Laid the Egg.
- Aserrín, asserán. / See-Saw, see-saw.
- De colores. / Many Colors
- El patio de mi casa. / In My Backyard
- La hormiguita. / The Little Ant
- Caballito blanco. / Little White Pony
- Arroz con Leche./ Rice Pudding
- Los elefantes./ The Elephants
- El barquito. / The Little Boat
- Tengo una muñeca. / Mi Little Doll.
- A la víbora del mar. / Sea Serpent.
- La piñata. / The Piñata.
- Teresa, la marquesa./ Teresa the Marquesa.
- Cucú. / Ribbitt.
- El sol es de oro. / The sun's a Gold Medallion.
- Angelitos descalzos. / Barefoot Angels
- A dormir va la rosa. / Now Softly the Roses.
- Pajarito que cantas. / Little Bird Singing.
- Los pollitos dicen. / Wide-awake Chicks.
- Duérmete mi niña. / Sleep now, my baby.
- El gato de trapo. / Raggedy Cat.
- Un ratoncito. / A Sleepy Mouse.
on December 15, 2015
This is a beautiful book with lovely pictures and thoughtfully presented Spanish nursery rhymes. There are very few books in Spanish for young children that are not translations from English, and this is the best one I have come across. It has the equivalent of our Jack-and-Jill-type nursery rhymes, with just the right amount of words on the page for a very young child, engaging pictures, and nice English translations for the non-Spanish speakers to read.
on March 23, 2013
This is great! One of the mum's in group I belong to recommended this, and I must say it's a hit with our daughter. I'm more of the Spanish speaker in It my family, but even my hubs enjoys reading it!

Would recommend for anyone who's trying to raise a bilingual kid!
on June 24, 2016
Five stars for the Spanish part, one star for the English adaptations. It's not just that they don't translate the Spanish words, it's that they aren't true to the overall feeling of the rhymes. The traditional rhymes are lovely and simple and sometimes a little nonsensical, whereas the English poems feel fussy and contrived. For example, I love this simple rhyme:

El sol es de oro
la luna es de plata
y las estrellitas
son de hoja de lata.

(Literal translation: The sun is made of gold, the moon is of silver, and the little stars are of tinplate.)

The adaptation in the book, on the other hand, throws in a bunch of extraneous ideas:

The sun's a gold medallion.
The moon's a silver ball.
The little stars are only tin;
I love them best of all.

Will a little kid know what a medallion is? Does the moon always look like a ball? Why prefer one heavenly body over the others? If you're writing an original poem, maybe you do want to explore these ideas; it's just that the original Spanish poem doesn't, which makes it much more elegant.

It also seems to me that the translations are so far from the original they might confuse a child who knows one language and is learning the other.

But the Spanish rhymes are excellent, and the cute illustrations fit them perfectly, so there's really a lot to like about this book.
on January 7, 2011
My daughter and I are really enjoying this book. She loves that I can read a rhyme to her in Spanish and her Dad can read the same one to her in English. Sometimes we sing the rhymes. The drawings on each page are very nice. I'm sure we'll use this book for a very long time. I'm very happy with it.
on November 23, 2015
It has nice nursery rhymes. I know different versions of them but its nice to learn new ones. As I said they are different from the ones I do know so wasnt really pleased with them. daughter didnt really like them either.