4.0 out of 5 stars Best 3K series pioneer yet with most everything built in
Published on April 16, 2012 by coolpal

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything but reception
Published on April 29, 2012 by Jocelyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 3K series pioneer yet with most everything built in, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer AVH-P3400BH 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 5.8" Widescreen Touch Panel Display, Built-In Bluetooth®, and HD Radio (Electronics)
This is my first aftermarket stereo but I've been eyeing the pioneer units to replace my stock stereo in 2006 Nissan Altima for a while.. I mostly held on to my stock as I was either waiting for a good deal or waiting for better features and finally I got this unit as I found the perfect balance in it. I paid under 300$ shipped for the unit from here (marketplace) and I am loving it.. Installed it myself last week and been trying it out for a few days now. Here are the main features I was looking for before I got this radio and my experience with each.

Bluetooth:
This Radio has Bluetooth built into the receiver and the good thing is it supports not just Bluetooth phone dialing/answering but A2DP (aka Bluetooth audio streaming) as well. I've tested it with iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S2 running ICS. I haven't used much for making calls but the one call I made was clean and clear on both ends (probably not as good as dedicated Bluetooth headsets like the jawbone icon) but definitely more than acceptable. But the feature I was excited about is the audio streaming, and I must admit it's as good as I expected it to be. Once I pair it with my phone, it automatically connects to the phone if it's in the range every time I turn it on, and if I chose the BT as the audio source, it even starts playing music from the library, all without the need for me to ever touch my phone. It shows the album info and I can use the receiver or my steering wheel controls to skip the tracks next or back. The same works with Pandora on iPhone as well. The experience with the android phone wasn't as seamless as iPhone but I think the phone is to blame for it. I can't skip the tracks from stereo if an other app is opened up on the phone, but the audio plays just fine. Pandora on android doesn't display track info on the receiver but the audio plays just fine and I can skip tracks from the unit.

HD Radio:
I live in the NY metro area and there are plenty of HD radio stations this unit picks up with my stock antenna but frankly I couldn't tell much of a difference between HD radio quality vs my old analog radio. There could be some improvement, but I think it could have been the equalizer effect. I am not blown away by the quality difference of the HD Radio like the hdradio.com website made me believe.. or maybe I need to upgrade my speakers? Anyways, even if the quality difference is questionable, HD Radio sure provides a couple of benefits. Along with the orinial content on the channel, most HD Radio stations have additional content (like 2 or more additional stations) and the other benefit is showing more info on the track that's playing, it displays title, artist, album etc., (if the station provides it). Best of all, there's no additional subscription fee like satellite radio and the HD tuner is built into the receiver and no additional accessories to buy.

DVD:
Frankly, I don't intend to use this unit for playing DVD video, but I am happy that it can play MP3s burned to any DVD disc instead of using CDs which are more or less obsolete in this day and age. I am yet to play video content on this unit, but the audio files stored on a DVD disc plays fine. Browsing by folders is pretty easy and I am not yet sure if the browse by artist etc., is present or not.. so far, I couldn't find it. I don't think I'll be using this much, but I know I its there for those times when its needed.

I know this unit has quite a bit more to offer, like the APP Mode and Rear View Camera input etc., but at this time I did not test them. I think I'll be buying the special cable that's needed to use the app mode and maybe eventually buy a rear view camera, but I am yet to test those features.

I am still getting used to this unit, but on the things I don't like so much

1. The screen quality.. Don't get me wrong here, it is a good screen and probably among the better quality ones in the car stereo segment, but having gotten used to nice IPS displays on mobile devices and OLED on the SGS2, the 5.8" screen on this unit looks all grainy to me.
2. The touch screen is good but could be better like modern smart phones or tablets.
3. The lack of micro SD or SD slot.. it was there on the previous versions and they got rid of it in these 2012 versions.
4. The lack of support for Android devices. I think Android devices have already out numbered iPhones, and I think Pioneer should start taking them more seriously.. The only kind of integration I can make at this time is either thru bluetooth or aux port, but same level of integration like the iPhone would be nice.
5. Ability to search phone contacts by inputting a name or ability to voice dial from the unit. I can do this now but I need to access my phone to invoke voice dial.

Bottom line: It's a great unit, and very good value for the money.

EDIT: Fixed a couple of mistakes... The Pandora thumb up/down functions DO NOT work with bluetooth connection, and the DVD not showing title on some songs could be an issue with the file and not the player.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Unit, April 28, 2012
I purchased this from Crutchfield as I wanted some other products from them as well.

As far at the head unit: Installed in 2005 Avalanche, with steering wheel controls and rear camera
Pros:
1)Nice glare free screen
2)Bluetooth works great, fast connection and sounds excellent
3)Hands-free Phone function works very well with good sound and mic picks up voice well
4)iphone App mode works as advertised, very nice, sorry Android users tough luck...
5)Sounds is great
6)Menu functions well thought out
7)Rear camera fires up quickly and functions great, image quality is a function of the camera and not the headunit

Cons:
1)Would like to turn off the track/sound feature, some stations don't broadcast that and it sucks to have "No Data provided" constantly displayed, wake up pioneer!
2)Would like to turn off more screen text its kinda cluttered, you can do some but not enough
3)Unit should have a "low" volume setting that it reverts to everytime it is powered up
4)When you use search preset menu, after choosing a station it should automatically close after a timeout period, you should not have to press the close function.
5)Need more interface on/off choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing unit For The Price, November 28, 2012
Have the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH for over a month and have used it extensively. Overall it is a great unit with tons of features. It has great sound, an awesome lcd screen and bluetooth that works perfectly. The microphone picks up everything and also has amplification right on the main screen for adjustment. There are just a few things to know about before you buy. These are things to help out with any of these dvd players not just specific to this one.

***When you add songs to the usb memory stick the unit displays the songs and movies in the order they are copied not in alphabetical order. It is a limitation of FAT32 file system not the player. Easy fix is to download FAT Sorter Free and click sort. Then all files will be in alphabetical order and displayed properly on the unit.

***Movies on the USB stick need to be in DIVX format. Most likely you will need to re-encode your video to view on the unit. There are many free encoders out there. Just make sure to encode it in DIVX, MP3 audio(not AAC) and file extension needs to be .avi

*** In order to have your front seat passenger watch dvds while you are driving you will need to bypass the the parking brake wire. It is the wire that says connect to parking brake. Just connect this wire to ground. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY A BYPASS SWITCH.

Only CON I can think of is that it does not display album art on MP3 from the USB Stick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great unit and price was outstanding, April 16, 2012
I bought this radio for my wife as a birthday present to replace a Sony single DIN XPLOD unit.

She loves the radio and how much you an do with it. She has an iPhone 4 and iPod Nano that works very well with the radio using the Pioneer CD-IU51V AV cable.

Hands free calling is amazing with this unit. I can't even tell she's hands free when talking to her. Bluetooh pair is very easy.

Only downside I found was the iPod App Mode didn't work right away. When pressing the icon nothing happened. This was a big feature for us as we have Motion X GPS Drive and it is nice to have the radio screen show the GPS map. I had to open the Pandora app first then go to iPod then go to App Radio.

Bottom line is this radio is great. Some may say that they don't like the USB/AUX port on the front but, that's not a huge deal because it gives you easy access to switching between devices.

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything but reception, April 29, 2012
Just got this Pioneer AVH-P3400BH and installed it into my 2007 Milan. It looks great, great features. I have an incredibly small USB stick for my music which is great. The screen looks good to me and is every bit as responsive as I hoped. It was a time consuming install with all the wiring adapters I needed to get everything hooked up. With my stock speakers, this stereo sounds way better than my stock stereo. The directions were a little tricky to follow, especially because I had directions from 3 products(wiring adapters) all trying to combine.

The worst and most disappointing thing is that now that i've got this all installed; the FM reception is extremely weak and the AM is nonexistent. And I live in Philadelphia -the land where garbage radios get every station perfectly. How does this even make sense? I don't get it. I've reached out to others with this stereo and they have the same problem. Has Pioneer reception gotten this bad, or are their directions so poorly written that we all have it installed incorrectly? I dunno. I'd hate to say the radio sucks if I'm in error, but i don't see how that would be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Head unit, April 10, 2012
Its a good Head unit, have it installed in my 04 subaru WRX, install was straight forward and easy to do. The only things that I dont really like about it are the safety E-brake wire needs to be either installed the correct way, or to a some kind of toggle or button which has power running to it, If installed correctly you have to apply the e-brake then disengage then re apply the brake for it to play a DVD. And also is you want to put your own picture on the back ground it will only load it from a CD slide show I find it rather inconvient.

Other then that everything is great. bluetooth is clear, Screen looks good, screen senstativity is good but not touchy, Interface is rather easy, and end product looks very nice and neat in the dash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless, December 4, 2012
I have an android phone and I live in an area with a few HD stations. I paired it to my phone effortlessly, just found the head unit in my phone's Bluetooth menu, hit OK a few times and music immediately started playing. I told it to sync my contacts and such, and was immediately able to place a call. It even knows my call history. I can't get it to dial, and I can't get it to skip songs either, but I'm honestly not surprised by that, nor do I care. I wanted the Bluetooth audio to be but a simple wireless auxiliary connection. Nothing fancy, or over complicated about it. If you have an iphone I'll bet it does a lot more, but I don't care.

It doesn't care that I didn't connect the parking brake cable to anything, it's just loose behind the deck and I'll worry about that later, I just want to listen to music off my phone, and HD radio. Several of the wires aren't connected to anything. Something for a backup camera, something for a mute button, I don't know. I'm sure it can do some pretty fancy stuff. I bought this because it has bluetooth, HD radio, and 3 preamp outputs for front, rear, and subwoofer. Right now my speakers are factory ford for an f150, and it sounds better than the stock radio by far. Soon I'll be putting in a proper system, and this is a perfect first step. Next: speakers, then amp, then sub and monoblock amp.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best double-din in the market. Don't buy GPS version if you have Iphone., November 30, 2012
I've researched almost every 2-din Dvd receiver that's out there. This is the ONE,if you want to have almost everything but your pocket is thin. Skip the GPS if you have a smart phone (download any GPS app(waze=free) on ur phone and connect it to the system). Overall great price for nice dvd system. Don't cheat yourself and buy an off-brand unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth Defect, August 18, 2013
Dustin Schultz (Gig Harbor, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this receiver for about one year now, and while most things work great on it, Bluetooth has always been a sore point. I use Windows Phone 8 which uses the AVRC Bluetooth profile for media streaming. (iOS 6 also uses this and has the same problem) While you can play music to the device, no meta data will appear on the screen to tell you which track is playing, etc. Pioneer did put out a firmware update for this. Beware installing this update as there is a high risk of bricking your unit. I followed their instructions exactly and my unit was bricked. I checked other internet forums and discovered this is a common problem. Pioneer is asking $95 to fix their defective firmware update software. I would not buy this unit if you plan to use any Bluetooth functionality as it will be a huge pain and Pioneer refuses to stand behind their products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deck for the price! I love it!, January 14, 2013
This is an awesome deck. I wish it would show the track information when streaming bluetooth audio from my phone. Other than that it's great. You cannot hook the parking brake wire upto a ground to bypass the safety feature though like some of the other reviewers said you could. It has to be a switch. I just hooked it up to the parking brake, I think it's the best option. But it was very easy to hook up my phone, callers say they can hear me clearly. The sound quality is great and the controls are easy to use. I love that you can save a picture to have as the background. The colors of the controls are great. The quality of the screen is nice but if you are looking for amazing quality you'll have to spend more money. All in all I really really love this unit. It fit in my car with the scoche install kit very well and it looks like it was professionally installed. I highly recommend this unit if you're looking to keep the cost down. The equalizer function is easy the subwoofer and audio controls are quick and easy to use. I am really loving it and for what it cost you certainly couldn't beat it.