5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot beat it
Having endured the poor bluetooth head unit that came with my Subaru, it was time to upgrade. As GPS is not a selling point to me, why pay $500 more for an equivalent unit with that feature and have to upgrade maps every year or so when any smart phone does the job better?

Published on May 29, 2012 by Duncan J. Maclean

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until it broke - WARNING: DO NOT BUY IT HERE!!!!
Unit is malfunctioning so I called Pioneer about getting it fixed. They told me they DO NOT HONOR WARRANTY ON PIONEER PRODUCTS PURCHASED ON AMAZON AFTER NOVEMBER 2011. Wow! Am I screwed or what?
Published on August 13, 2012 by Nico33

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until it broke - WARNING: DO NOT BUY IT HERE!!!!, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" Widescreen Touch Panel Display, Advanced App Mode, Built-In Bluetooth, and HD Radio™ (Electronics)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer needs to fix the issues this head unit has, August 5, 2012
This is my review on the Pioneer AVH-P8400. Unfortunately, this is not really a positive purchase. I can honestly say I am pretty disappointed in Pioneer and this head unit. I am hoping Pioneer gets these issues straightened out and fixed with a firmware update.

First, the positive:
-This unit really sounded much better than my previous Pioneer Premier F90BT. There was a notable clarity once I switched to it.
-I can connect two ipods to it rather than just one.
-The G.U.I. was also very appealing.
-Not having a bunch of harnesses in the back of the unit was also a plus and made installation a lot easier.
-Most of the issues with the head unit appear to be software based, and hopefully will be fixed soon
-The screen has a very vivid and clear resolution. It is definitely one of the nicer screens I have seen.
-Very quick load up time. Unit is ready to go in seconds from turning the car on.

The Negative:
-The screen goes dead and does not respond to any touches intermittently. Considering so many features are controlled by touching the screen, this is a bad deal.
-If you're using an iphone, the iphone alert sound effects come though when listening to Pandora or the ipod feature from the iphone. Im not sure if it's a head unit issue or a iphone issue, but when driving to music this is annoying.
-The GPS apps are garbage. PERIOD.
-If you connect the iphone before the Bluetooth connects, it causes all sorts of problems. The Pandora feature does not work, you have to use AppRadio in order to hear Pandora, but AppRadio will also not function properly. If you turn off your car for any reason, you have to disconnect the iphone when you restart it, if the Bluetooth connects while the iphone is already connected to the head unit, then you will have the above mentioned problems.
-The CD-IU201S Cable is ridiculously too short. The part of the cable that connects to the iphone is sadly only 2 feet long, which means you have to mount the iphone very close to the unit. I bought an Iphone extension and it caused AppRadio to no longer function. Ridiculous.
-My ipod locks up at least 6-10 times a week with this head unit. When I check the ipod after i have disconnected it, it still has the pioneer logo on it and in order for it to get working again i have to do a restart.
-This unit produces an insane amount of noise (hissing). Its audible when listening to music or if the unit is on with nothing selected as a source.

ALSO!!! Pioneer is aware of the issues with this unit, but has no intention of releasing a firmware update to fix it. Basically, you are on your own. This unit will not be brought to a better standard and it is what it is, unlike the pioneer units in the past which recieved firmware updates to fix problems and issues.

Im really saddened by this unit. I have been a loyal pioneer customer for many years. I have gone through 8 Units and this is terrible. I wanted to replace my F90BT with something newer and faster, with a more precise GPS. I originally was considering the AVIC-Z140BH, but I really didn't like that I would have to disconnect my ipod and connect my iphone to use certain features. I am accustomed to connecting my ipod, which has all my music on it, to the head unit and putting it in the glove box and not messing with it anymore. I was hoping for the same with the iphone apps but this is not the car. You have to use the iphone itself to control the iphone apps, with the exception of Pandora. This is dangerous as you have to keep taking your eyes off the road to do this, not to mention the clumsy short cable causing problems with reach.

I will say that as just a head unit its great. the major downside to it is the iphone/ipod controls in appmode. also the whole having to wait till bluetooth connects is also annoying. if you do it wrong you have to turn off the car and try again.

UPDATE - I am no longer able to find much positive in this purchase. Last night while driving the unit began having volume issues when connected to an iPhone. It also had issues with the iPhone playing music OVER the ipod that was selected. Even after pressing mute the issue was not resolved, as the music continued to play blaring. I am no longer partially satisfied with my purchase and am now considering purchasing another one and getting rid of this one. It has not been helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot beat it, May 29, 2012

Anyway, it streams bluetooth very well off my droid phone, the ipod connection is great, HD radio is very nice, DVD/CD is very clear and finally people can hear me on the bluetooth.

Installing it can be tedious, but it is essentially a computer, but wiring is fine, just take your time.I've put one amp and sub on it, works great too.

All the menus are very simple to use, very user friendly.
This is certainly worth five stars or more!

Update 6-12-12

I have had issues with the touch screen freezing up at random. Sometimes it goes days without any issues, other days it happens frequently. I'm only driving a total of one hour a day, so it is frustrating. There are others with the same problem, so I would recommend make sure the seller you purchase from has a strong return policy.

The system is still amazing, not going to change my ratings based on this, Pioneer are aware of this, and hopefully it is something as simple as a software update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love This, June 3, 2012
after installing this unit to replace my Clarion screen i must say this unit is amazing i love the brighter screen and the ability to add you own wallpaper (no internal hard drive so you can only add 1 image from a memory card) i was hesitant to purchase this unit because it doesnt have Navigation and add on Navi is over $300 but other than that i simply love this unit.. i would recommend this unit for anyone that has an i phone or doesnt need add on navigation.. one thing i do not like is in order to use advance app mode... ex. GPS from the iphone the ebrake has to be engaged, it is pointless to use GPS on an iphone and have to engage he ebrake, what sense does that make? now there is a simple way to bypass the ebrake and there is no need to spend over $4.
The method i used is I used a toggle switch , got it for $1.50 and got a roll of 16 ga wire. I connected the remote turn on wire from the radio to one prong of the toggle swtich and then connected the Ebrake wire to the other prong on the toggle, use the 16 ga wire if you want to hide or mount the toggle on the driver's side. now once you've hooked everything up and insert advd or attempt to play a video from what ever source (SD card, Ipod/iphone) flip the toggle switch and there will be a message press ok on the screen and you have successfully bypassed the ebrake.
the bluetooth was very easy to pair and i love that it auto connects as long as you have bluetooth always on on your phone.
I haven't had the Digital Radio to work yet because there are no digital stations in my immediate area but the regular stations it shows station name Artist Name and Song title.

UPDATE
I purchased the $9 back up camera and it looks pretty decent so i don't see any reason to purchase the expensive back up cameras .

i rate this a 4 out of 5 due to the fact you have to engage the bypass to use GPS on from the IPhone any questions let me know

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this head unit!, September 12, 2012
D. Goolsby (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was upgrading from a 4200DVD to this system. It seems like a slight waste, but to me it fixed all the things that were "wrong" with the 4200 and added 2 great features...Bluetooth and HD radio.

For whatever stupid design reason, the 4200 would not scroll long names on the screen. So if the name of the track that you're playing was too long, it'd just get cut off. I don't know how that flaw was missed. Also another thing, the RDS info would populate in the stations buttons, and you'd have no real way of knowing what's the station on your preset. Just like old analog radios used to be, ARRRRGHHHH!

This unit fixed both of those problems. I also like having EQ preset buttons when you're looking at the EQ, it's easier to go back and forth between presets. I find making small EQ changes while driving a bigger pain though, I'd rather have up and down buttons, but that's a minor quibble.

I'm really stunned about HD radio. I thought it was just some gimmick, but its great! The sound quality for the stations that support it is a lot better, the RDS info is better, and like digital TV, the HD radio stations have sub-channels, so there's stations out there that you never knew you had!

The BT has been fine for me, I'm glad to have hands free BT phone now, it works well. I've had no problems with my iPhone 4 and the radio.

And maybe the feature that I never dreamed I'd be able to do, using the thick pain-in-the-butt apps cable, I can plug my phone into the radio and listen to my favorite radio station, XFM in London, over the Internet with their app, while in my car in California. And of course also listen to Pandora via the phone too. So I'm never without music.

I don't take the face off much, because I've had bad luck with radios that have issues with the face not making correct contact and its just a little bit of a pain to do it. I've got a 2-way alarm on my car anyway and a baseball bat by the door anyway...

Anyway, so pricey upgrade, but in the end it's worth it because this is the perfect radio.

And if you're buying this radio cheaply on Amazon from probably a non-qualified distributor, pick up a warranty from square trade if you want some coverage. I always want warranties for my HU, because historically I've had problems often through the years, I've had to had several worked on in the past and had one replaced. None were Pioneers though. 3 out of my last 6 were Pioneers and I'll stick with them.

-------------------

UPDATE 10/10/12 - You may or may not want this unit if you're going to use with an iPhone 5!
Pioneer has come out with a compatibility list which can be found at [...]

Basically, all of their high-end units don't work with the iPhone 5, which became obvious when I read that the 30-pin adapter does NOT pass video. So if you want this for video or you need head unit control, use with an iPhone 4/4S.

Now, it's NOT a total loss, because the BT audio works fine. Besides working perfectly fine for my phone calls, as far as I can tell any audio from the phone will play via the BT audio. If I start the Pandora app, it even passes along the data so the song info and album art shows up on the radio screen. And if I play another app that streams audio from a radio station in the U.K., that audio comes through via BT also. So the only thing I've lost is control of the phone via the radio screen. I can live with this, because I've just added a mount for my phone (Arkon mobile grip, works with an iPhone 4 and a 5, both with cases on). AND, my main source for music was always going to be my iPod Classic, the phone was just a bonus really. Plus now I can take that !%$R@# thick CD-IU201V cable out.

So think about your options, if you can avoid it, don't get the CD-IU201V cable cuz it won't work with the phone anyway. Even though Pioneer says to use that cable for most everything, if you're just going to use an iPod, get the CD-IU201S cable! I think it might be cheaper, and for sure it's half the thickness. (actually, I'm reusing my 200S cable that I had been using with my previous Pioneer deck, it works perfectly fine with my iPod Classic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, July 24, 2012
Great head unit! I installed this in my 08 Chevy Trailblazer and it fit perfectly. The unit responds instantly with zero lag time. Easy to navigate and change setting using the touch screen. My only complaint is that all of the "app" features require an Iphone or Ipod and I have an android phone. I can still stream via bluetooth but I wish I had all of the same features as the apple users. All in all, this is the best head unit you can get right now and it looks amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good unit for fairly decent price., June 9, 2013
Note that this unit has since been replaced by the 2013 model AVH-X8500BHS.

Unit has high build quality, great looks, and high quality sound. The built-in HD Radio tuner is a nice feature, as is support for analog video input, a rear-view camera, USB audio devices (iPod or flash drives), an SDHC card reader for MP3 and Video, and the DVD/CD player.

Unfortunately, there are a few shortcomings. the AppRadio mode for Android didn't work with my Samsung Droid Charge, nor does it work with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I have not tried AppRadio mode with my wife's iPhone 4s, though I suspect I will have better luck with that if I did. The add-on GPS unit, AVIC-U220 is a horrible disappointment, though it DOES work. Additional note: The AVIC-U220 has been replaced by the AVIC-U250, which appears to be a better unit, though I have not been able to test it yet. Keep in mind that you have to choose between the optional iPhone interface to enable Advanced App Mode or the AVIC-U220, as there is a single input available for one or the other, but not both.

The detachable face was the primary selling point, as the AVIC-P8400BH replaces my stolent AVIC-F90BT (which I miss dearly). Occasionally, I experience lockups with the touchscreen, which are resolved by holding the eject button, removing, and replacing the detachable face. This typically only happens in extremely hot weather (I live in Central Alabama).

I have not used the dual-zone audio, as generally there are no children in the back seat of my car, but it is an interesting feature should I need it. The remote control is a nice touch (since my F90BT did not have one, even as an added cost option), but I find that I don't need it, as the touchscreen is mere inches from my gearshift. The unit also supports a wired remote adapter to enable use of steering wheel controls. I had this with my F90BT and enjoyed it, but have not yet ordered the interface to use it with my new unit. This has not been a problem for me, since my headunit is easily accessible with my hand on my gearshift.

Satellite radio listeners should note that this unit supports both the older XM and SiriusConnect receivers. XM gets a nicer data display, while Sirius users are stuck with a single line of information (was also the case with my F90BT, I guess Pioneer doesn't like Sirius). Newer units will probably use the unified SiriusXM connector.

While not totally in love with the AVH-P8400BH, I do like it. For those looking for a fully functional in-dash navigation system, I would suggest one of the AVIC models, such as the AVIC-X940BT or X950BT, or the Z140BH or Z150BH. Those units (especially the Z-series) will give you everything in a single package, including HD Radio, Navigation, and traffic updates in radio markets supporting traffic info.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but has issues, July 3, 2012
Read the reviews posted here carefully. They are all true. This unit has so many features that the issues don't bother me, but they may bother you. The screen does freeze. The advanced app mode is glitchy, but the unit is still awesome.It just might not be worth the money for some. The 4400 might be a better choice. For me the better screen resolution, Extra USB port, and sd card slot was enough for me to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars aawesome, June 30, 2012
Don't listen to any of the negative reviews on this thing. I purchased one and installed it in my sierra denali. the interface is so easy to use i didn't even have to read the instruction manual to operate it. pioneer is awesome that way. the deck changes from mode to mode instantly with the touch of a button, no lag time at all. the dvd player is crisp and clear and the screen is great for not leaving any fingerprints on it. The Bluetooth connects quickly and plays music from my phone great. the Bluetooth also works very well for making phone calls. crystal clear and no one has a problem hearing me at all. I am very happy with this unit and glad it came out when it did.(i almost put a Sony in it) the deck is running two amps,one for subs and one for the components in the front and back doors and the sound quality is great. All my friends want one now after hearing how good mine sounds and how well it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turned my Tundra into a Concert Hall, January 25, 2013
The Pioneer 8400 brought out the true potential of my Tundra's speakers and made it so I love listening to everything wherever I go. The Hands free capability is sweet and by adding in a USB able and plugging in a back-up camera I have no problem with holding in to my truck for several more years. It was absolutely worth it.