Published 5 months ago by Benjamin G. Clemmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a great purchase but.....
Start with pros.
1.Great sound quality (Main selling point for me). It required a few minutes of effort to tune it the way i like it, but oh so worth it.
2. Easy bluetooth setup. Even for my company provided hunk of junk blackberry! WOW!
3. Rear Aux, and USB input. My personal preference. I ran wires into glove box to hide my USB drive
4. Full set of 2...
Published 8 months ago by Rubix

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a great purchase but....., May 30, 2014
Rubix (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pioneer AVH-X2600BT 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.1 Inch WVGA Touch Screen Display (Electronics)
Start with pros.
4. Full set of 2 volt RCA outputs. Front, rear, and sub.
5. It worked with my Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Interface so i could keep my steering wheel controls. ("Extras" Link #1 below.)
Cons.
1. By far the biggest con, the rear view camera plug was bad(2nd biggest reason for the purchase). Even bought a second one which had the same exact problem.
2. In the daytime, when the sun hits the screen, it's gone. I mean you can't see jack squat. If the screen had been an OLED screen i doubt this would have been a problem. I have read on the net that the radio is LED backlit, but the sun simply overpowers it.
3. VERY limited screen modifications. Colors/and backgrounds. I think you can add more backgrounds with USB, but never tested it.
4. Good grief it is expensive. I have no problem for paying good money for a quality product. But to receive 2 radios (made in 2 separate months) with dead rear view camera plugs? really?
5. Rear RCA outputs are 2 volt. i would have prefered 4 volt at this price.
Overall: If the rear camera plugs had worked, that would have been a guaranteed 4 stars, i may have given it 5. what a shame.
When i first got the radio, i hesitated when i didn't see any stickers on the box where you open it to show that it direct from the factory, but i was too excited to have received the product to care at the time. The install went well in my 2006 Scion tC. I completely soldered the harness and micro bypass("extras" Link #2 below) which took almost an hour. Then the physical install into the car was less than 1/2 hour. The radio fit fine with the rear view camera wire, and sub RCAs connected. And even with stock speakers it sounded pretty bloody good. And thankfully the radio has a High pass frequency filter that prevents really low bass from detonating your speakers. Luckily enough the stock front speakers in the tC are pretty good to begin with. It was just the stock pioneer head unit that was sub-par. However when i went to use the back up camera there was horrible static and the image would cut in and out. The brand new camera i purchased worked fine on the radio's AUX input and on the two TV's that i have in the house. So i knew it wasn't that. I sent it back and got a 2nd one. SAME PROBLEM. I sent an email to Pioneers support center. They said if it worked on the AUX but not the rear camera plug, that it's bad, and to find the nearest pioneer repair center. The closest one was 10 miles away in Charlotte, NC. Cool beans! maybe i can get it fixed quickly. I called and they said, nope, can't do that here, you need to send it to syracuse, NY. Now as far as i can gather the work would be covered under warranty, but i would still have to pay for shipping and be out a radio for a week or 2. BAH! All that for a problem that could have been solved by someone doing QUALITY CONTROL at the factory. I sent that one back too. I was going to try a 3rd one but this is becoming a hassle now. It's been 3 weeks and almost 500$ for the 2 radios total, (all refunded super quick, I LOVE Amazon) and i STILL don't have a working radio. And i don't even think this is an isolated incident. The sticker on the chassis said the first radio was built in February, and the second in March. I think it's FAR more likely that they have been sending out bad units for weeks. how many people out there ever attach a rear camera to the radio anyways? But nothing hurts as bad as having to go back to a stock radio after such a great sounding one as this. I would take off an other star off for that, but i'm reviewing the product here, not the customer support. But i will still say this, Pioneer really shot my monkey on this one :(
Nobody else makes a radio that i want in the price range that i've set, so now it's a battle to see if i will buy a far less expensive Pioneer Pioneer FH-X700BT and not have a backup camera, or take my chances with the higher end, and even more ridiculously expensive Pioneer Pioneer AVHX4600BT and hope that it doesn't have the same problem. But i have read a couple reviews saying there is such a problem :S

Links to indicated extras
Metra Axxess ASWC-1: Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
Parking Brake Bypass: Genuine DIYBypass for All AVH Pioneer

Update: 8/2/2014
I did end up getting the more expensive AVHX4600BT. But it also had dead rear camera inputs. And after the radio install, my door wouldn't close. The bar along the bottom with all the buttons bows outwards and sticks out far enough to prevent the door from closing (the 2600 would let me close the door but sometimes it would hit a button on the radio). And the audio quality was the same as the AVHX2600BT. It went right back to amazon. In an act of desperation to keep with a flat LCD screen, i purchased a Clarion Mobile Electronics VX404. MASSIVE failure. The rear USB and front micro SD card did not work, and it was UNBEARABLY slow. I couldn't ship it back to amazon fast enough.So, I ended up purchasing the much cheaper FH-X700BT. Unfortunately, The audio quality isn't quite as good as the AVH series(still a helluva lot better than the stock scion tC radio), and the HUGE button in the dead center of the face prevents my radio door from closing. But, mercifully, the screen can be seen during the day (a bit too bright at night). Ultimately, the massive price difference will keep it in my car until i can find a radio that i actually like.
Long story short: If you want a soul crushingly good sounding radio (providing you have good speakers) and don't plan on using the rear camera inputs, get the AVHX2600BT. Don't bother with the AVHX4600BT unless you want a *slightly* bigger screen. Avoid the Clarion like the plague. and get the FH-X700BT if you don't need the flat screen or don't have the budget for the higher end models.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great unit. I have replaced the factory unit in ..., August 15, 2014
This is a great unit. I have replaced the factory unit in all my cars, and several others over the years, and Pioneer continues to be a strong contender with great products. I would have rated it with 5 stars, but I am hard to please. The instruction manual leaves you guessing with some aspects. I have watched a dvd movie, excellent quality. I hooked up an amp and sub located in the trunk with no problems, and those are running great. I also bought a cheap backup camera and installed it too. I got it to work, but it was a challenge. The instruction manual did not (in my opinion) tell you how to connect all the necessary wires, and that certain wires also needed to be connected in order for the unit to function properly as a display unit. However, I am still very satisfied with the purchase. For the price I don't know if it can be beat. A few other minor complaints are the user interface could be a bit more friendly, as in setting up custom sound either through the equalizer, or setting up specific speaker volumes etc... I also hooked up an ipod, both ways and tried it. I am currently using the hdmi connection cable, so that will allow a user to swap between an ipod and iphone. The bluetooth works flawlessly. I have had some issues with the unit not recognizing my ipod, but that could be an ipod issue, as it is an older model that I have had for quite some time. There are several apps that you can put on a phone and use the cable to connect, but I haven't really found them to be all that exciting. You can use siri, and it will provide directions through the radio by just having bluetooth turned on. All in all I would say its a great unit, probably has loads of other features I haven't used or figured out yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, May 2, 2014
This is the first screen I have owned and I like all of it, nothing for me to really compare to but for a first it does everything I need it to do.
I have it paired with bluetooth to my android and I use BT audio and Pandora to listen to all my fav music. I really like the pandora feature its really useful. I also have the USB plugged in so I can use that also for Videos and music, or to charge your phone super fast. I use the bluetooth in my car but I did have to install the mic so people can hear me, I couldnt use the pre-existing.
I installed a backup camera also and it works great I love it, always wanted one and it does everything I expected.
As far as the head unit if you are looking to not spend much and use android its not a bad option. If you have a newer android Galaxy5 or something.. then you can use MirrorLink. very useful for Navigation if you want. Of you can buy nav plugin for the back for like 240$.
I just use BTaudio with Maps and it gives dirrections through speakers. I dont need to see it on a screen. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good. Could have been great., April 22, 2014
Answering my Iphone 4s and 5c phone via Bluetooth has been easy. The calls automatically take over the radio. No need to get the phone out of wherever you have it while driving. The call quality is good inside the car, and for the people listening to you.

Streaming Pandora or any other audio sources from the Iphone is easy.

Can't get Waze to work with either Iphone. The AppRadio Pioneer app is simply not working and not enabling the app functions on the radio. You get a blank screen when you connect your Iphone this way.

The buttons to select a radio station are small. It has FM and AM radio tuners. (No HD radio)

The screen is dim. Adjusting the brightness of the screen is possible, but not intuitive.

The sound quality of the music is good.

The equalizer gives many preset options as well as allowing for custom settings.

It can play normal DVDs. You can see the DVD video if the break is engaged and if you wired the break connection appropriately.

The radio is sharp looking. Definitely makes the car look better.

It has a backup radio connection, and a USB outlet to charge USB devices.

...If only AppRadio had worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Pandora support for Android over Bluetooth!, February 11, 2014
Most current HUs only support Bluetooth streaming from Pandora (i.e. plays music, but requires you to interact with the mobile device for full control) - this one lets you browse your stations, thumb up/down, and displays album art without the need to connect any wires to my Android device. A customer service rep from Crutchfield told me that this functionality wasn't available on the market currently, but I can say they were wrong!

Plenty of other Pros: good quality sound, plenty of inputs, CD/DVD/MP3, camera support, good resolution, good color matching, very good price. Significantly improved the sound from my stock speakers.

Cons: Not much. I'd prefer a 7" screen but that's just a personal preference. It's also annoying that you need to buy an expensive third party adapter if you want to use "AppRadio Mode," but after having previously owned an AppRadio 2 I can tell you it's mostly a gimmick anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, just what I was looking for, December 22, 2014
Great radio, just what I was looking for. Can't go wrong with Pioneer and this is no exception! I put this in my Trans Am and I wish I did that sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stereo, March 30, 2014
This is a great head unit..install was simple and simple to operate. Installed in a 2011 wrangler JK in a few hours. Integration with my iphone 4s is simple..pandora streams with no issues, I can go through my music on my phone using the optional cable..which even charges my iphone. awesome. Very happy with this purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out Good at first...., April 24, 2014
I choose this 2 star rating due to the fact that this unit has some flaws I bought this and installed it myself and everything worked fine but after a 3 months after installing it came up with an Error-02-9e which when I did some research came up with nothing only stating that the Disk track need fixing or the laser need replacing.

After about a 6 months of no DVD playing or no disk playing I was contemplating of not buying another pioneer DVD deck.

I finally decided to take it out and check it myself after opening the top of the unit I noticed the problem. one of the four spring shock came out the suction cup it supposed to be in.

After carefully putting it in which I couldn't believe that small thing was causing this issue I installed it back into my Van and then the DVD played like nothing happened.

In conclusion I expected more than this from Pioneer being that I always thought it was of great quality and of a superior grade to me I am thinking now it was better I bought a unit for $100.00 us.

Pioneer you need to have better all round quality control inspecting these Items when in different stages.
Not worth the money if you would get an inferior quality build.

3.0 out of 5 stars great head unit, app controls not all that fluent with controls, March 25, 2014
really like this unit and took advantage of the rear camera and blue tooth set up, blue tooth cancels absolutely no back ground noise so keep that in mind if you are going to use in a high road noise car. the app control for my iphone 5 works but is slow to respond and almost annoying, i used it for the first couple of weeks but found myself getting frustrated and having to fiddle with it more then if i were just using my phone itself which defeats the purpose of safely using the head unit instead. other down side is that while you can dim and turn off the main screen you are not able to dim the button lights and they are very bright while night driving, you can however change the color to be less intrusive. i get no more pleasure from this unit then i would have from a much cheaper single din or double din, save yourself some money and go simpler

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, July 22, 2014
We had high hopes for the Pioneer AVH-X2600BT 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver but we are extremely disappointed. It is a constant pain in the butt to pair our BT smartphones.

We rented a car for our trip to CA and whatever unit it had was far superior to the Pioneer AVH-X2600BT. Once we paired our phones to that unit, it remembered BOTH phones and simply asked which unit we wanted to pair with.

The Pioneer AVH-X2600BT NEVER remembers our phones and we have to pair them as though it was brand new...EVERY FRIKKING TIME. The process takes about 5 minutes so half the time we just ignore it. What a disappointment.

If you want a multimedia player that is reliable and easy to use, look elsewhere.