5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Boot up
In order for fast boot up, make sure to turn VR CATALOG MODE off in audio options. You don't need this, an its on by default.
Published on August 5, 2008 by J. Israel

3.0 out of 5 stars On the fence
I've been really on the fence with this system. I love all the selling points of a GPS, MP3, Bluetooth and DVD, but it has some really disappointing downsides.

I go back and forth on whether or not I should take the system back and just have my factory stereo put back in (but who can go back when you've had something like this?). Sometimes I'm so incredibly...
Published on September 15, 2008 by Christina

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
The setup is initially a little confusing, but this stereo is amazing. I've owned multiple GPS/DVD/bluetooh units (kenwood, eclipse), and this one is a million times better. The GPS is exceptional. The Ipod control is built in and works flawlessly with my 80G Ipod, transferring songs and album cover art. The blue tooth (also built in) works better than any other I have used, and paired with my blackbeery seamlessly. There were initial complaints about this unit, but once the 2.0 software is installed you will be nothing but impressed. Honestly, for the price point, and having used more expensive less impressive units, I can't give enough praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can i give it 6 stars?!?!?!?, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
Frist i must say that before i bought the radio , id never touched a gps before. So with that said, i must say that you can not beat this radio.

GPS
BLUETOOTH
SD CARD SLOT(ill never touch another cd again)
DVD PLAYER( unless i wont to watch a movie and u can still load those to the sd card)
TOUCHSCREEN
EASY ENTERFACE

OVERALL great product!!!!!
i was not sure if i wanted to drop 650.00 on something i dont know about, but once i got it , i keep finding reasons to drive around. Trust me when i say you cant go wrong with this UNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving my F90BT after 2.0 update frim Pioneer!!!!, November 6, 2008
Pioneer just released another update, 2.0
it fixes a lot of little bugs that weren't fixed with the first update. And dramatically improves the boot time. If the unit has been updated to 2.0 it will have an orange dot on the box now instead of a blue one. Or you can download the update and install it yourself from Pioneer. Highly recommended !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough to do better, March 15, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
I have had this unit for a little over a month now and really like it. The Ipod interface is great, and the 8GB SD card that plugs into the face is a nice option. This unit also has a 3.5 mm RCA jack in the front so you can plug in any other non ipod device. The sound quality is also very good, much better than my stock toyota radio.

The GPS function works very well. I installed the GPS antenna below the dash behind the radio and I get very strong GPS signals. No need to route the antenna outside the car. The menus are intuitive, but not as good as a Garmin GPS. But garmin does not make a unit like this. But all in all it's a great GPS system, no complaints.

I bought this unit primarily because I wanted a good bluetooth and the blue tooth works fantastic.I mounted the microphone behind the steering wheel as suggested and it works very well. People are amazed at the great sound quality. The blutooth would not work with my wifes Treo 680, but it works perfectly with my Iphone and Nokia E71.

My only complaint is the touch screen can be a little slow at times.

I installed it myself and it took about 4 hours in a Toyota 4Runner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of kit!, November 4, 2008
D. DAY "EnochLight" (Dearborn Heights, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
Picked up an AVIC-F90BT about 3 months ago with the "blue dot" 1.2 firmware. Boot time was longer than I expected, but manageable. Bluetooth with my iPhone works flawlessly, the navigation works as advertised, and the iPod control is a piece of art. Video playback via iPod Classic works great, as does DVD playback.

A huge feature that seems to go unmentioned is AVIC Feeds, which allows you to send map searches from Google Maps to an SD card (on your computer). Take the SD card, plug it into the front slot on the F90BT, and your location shows up as a point in your GPS - brilliant! Almost makes the need to purchase map updates obsolete. It also allows you to build and manage a POI database and favorites via the SD card.

The 2.0 firmware just came out a few days ago (it's 11/4/2008) and it dramatically improves the boot time (+35% faster), touch-screen response is improved, and a plethora of other tweaks are included.

I paid $1200 for this unit installed at a high-end local car audio dealer and don't regret it one bit. For the price being asked for on Amazon, this thing is a steal. Highly recommended. Best in-dash A/V navigation unit on the market. Technically it's a miniature computer, BTW!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Support, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
I have had many small issues with this unit.
The nav screen should follow the direction I am travelling. I have to look at it upside down, so to speak, sometimes, to follow where I am going.
The phone feature does not work well with Nextel at all. If you have nextel, do not buy this unit.
When you get a call, sometimes it will hang up, or so you think. You can't hear the person, but the person can hear the music or whatever you were listenting to when they called.
I have called and emailed them on these and other issues many many times, but I keep getting ignored. This is why I am writing this review.
I would seriously consider buying a different unit. I wish I would have. But at 1,200, who can afford to do that. I am stuck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice System, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
I think that this is the best indash unit out there, it has all the options, ipod music/video playback, cd, dvd, hd radio... and many more features also the msn service (that sometimes its unavailable in some areas, even here in San Francisco, and also it does not have information on real time), but its ok, i give 5 stars because is not too expensive compared with other gps systems on the market.
buy it with the 2.0 update, or log on in the pioneer website to download it.
Este es el mejor sistema the posicion global tiene muchas funciones y tambien no es muy caro comparado con otros sistemas de navegacion, te aconsejo que lo compres con el 2.0 update o si no descargalo en pioneer .com. bendiciones...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great OK product, April 20, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
This unit plays - dvd, ipod, HDRadio, bluetooth. This is a great product if it works for more than 10 days from purchase date. This has everything that one could want to have for any car, and none could beat the price that i found here via 6Ave hence i bought it and my first unit end up having some fatal application error (maybe because i bypassed it) which i got it replaced. but the second unit so far is working great and i hope unit wont crash on me again but then again it comes with 2yr warranty which none can beat. but i will advise that u may want to consider the additional extended warranty for this unit also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your $$$, July 2, 2009
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
Very happy with that I ended up with this product having done much research. Read alot of reviews that there were lots of issues with the F90BT booting really slow or crashing but I haven't come to any of it. The AVIC411.com forum really help make this product even better by giving information on installation and modifying tips and trick. Overall I would recommend this as I have had it for a month now installed and working perfectly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Might as well get a laptop, it's cheaper!, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (Electronics)
My avic F90bt is a buggy piece of crap. When I first got it inMarch '08 it worked ok with the 2.0 firmware, only glitches here and there but nothing too big. I do a lot of roadtrip driving across the continent from Seattle to Ontario and back, or a 4,000 mile loop through the SW so the GPS and ability to insert my 16GB SD card for music was awesome. Then I made a huuuge mistake; I shelled out $120 for the 2009 map upgrade and upgrade to the 3.0 firmware. Well, that will teach me.

Ever since I "upgraded", music from my SD card will not change songs while the map display or the music display is on screen. It will only move on to the next song (on its own) if I have the root menu on screen. I cannot skip a song if anything but the root menu is displayed. The touch screen does not work while an mp3 is playing unless the root menu is on screen. For what was originally a $1200 stereo, this thing is a genuine POS. Shame on Pioneer for producing this pretty, yet useless, software interface.

Let's say you want to go on a really long roadtrip, I'm talking six weeks on the open road; ten hours a day of driving. Having the option of inserting an SD card with 6,000 songs on it for the trip sounds awesome right? Just slide that puppy in and hit "random" and you'll have songs for weeks. That's not how it works. You may have 6,000 songs on that SD card but the Pioneer Avic F90bt will only care about 100 of those songs and will play those same 100 songs over, and over, and over-- sometimes the same song twice in a row! For the entire road trip you only hear the same 100 songs, leaving 5,900 songs you will never get to listen to because the unit will not respond to manually trying to select a song since the touch screen won't work when an mp3 is playing! If I wanted to listen to the same 100 songs over and over I would have purchased a 6-disc CD changer, not a state of the art $1,200 mp3 player.

Pioneer brags about their program "AVIC Feeds" that allows someone to make a kml or csv file of their gps waypoints and transfer them to their head unit and use these waypoints as new "Points of Interest" that the GPS can supply directions to. It has never worked. After more than a year with this stereo I have resigned to the fact that it will never work.

One of the reasons I purchased the F90bt over Pioneer's other similar head units was the fact that in 3D-mode landmarks in cities all over North America were displayed as 3D renderings. Cool right? Not once in Seattle, Chicago, New York, LA, San Francisco, Minneapolis, etc... has any building ever been displayed in 3D--let alone in 2D.

I am giving this royal pain my rear one star because it costs a fortune and rarely functions in even a passible state. Eight months ago it might have gotten two or even three stars from me before the 3.0 upgrade when most of it sort of worked. Now it is just a glaring reason why I will never purchase a Pioneer product for the rest of my life! In its current state this product is no better than one star; at least I can still listen to the radio!

Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT