After a week of researching the best GPS/DVD combo drives I bought this unit. I had a DVD/GPS system in my car before this unit and it was garbage.
Published on April 13, 2012 by reeseville

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I owned the z130bt and was anxiously awaiting the z140bh, as I thought there could be nothing better than an update of an already excellent product. After paying over $1000 here on Amazon for the z140bh, and being one of the first buyers for this headunit in USA, I was sorely disappointed, if not angry, that the z140bh failed miserably.

I kept my z130bt in my...
Published on April 26, 2012 by troy

5.0 out of 5 stars fast interface. hd clear screen.. Iphone ipad ipod users will love, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH 2DIN 7" Touchscreen In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver (Electronics)
First of the picture is very clear even on sunny days the screen still looks good WVGA display. I had mine bypassed so i can played music dvds while i drive. The gps fuctions well. I most use my iphone on it. Sound quality is amazing. It has truly delivered crisp clean sound and has a built in digital equalizer. I was going to purchase the Kenwood version of this but i found that this unit has a fast interface, meaning you hit a button on a screen and stuf happens immediatley like an iphone theres virtually no lag. Boot time is reasonable id say 15 sec for the screen but if you had music playing id say the musci on in 10 sec or so... You can also choose what color the LEDs are for the system. my car has orange leds on the odometer and main dash so this unit matches like its a factory install. theres more apps like pandora some few others that can be used on this unit. has call feature. very clear phone calls through my iphone. This thing has all the features of the popular appRadio but more. but the sheer speed of the interface and picture quality is what really sold me.. the unit is not pixelated at all. looks even better at dusk without all that sunlight glare. please note you must buy that iphone dock cord to get the full use of this unit if you have an iphone/ipod etc its like $30 on amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 26, 2012

I kept my z130bt in my 2nd car, and installed the z140bh in my brand new car. So I, as a regular joe type, was able to analyze the performance of both units side by side. My conclusion...THE Z130BT IS BETTER THAN THE Z140BH.

First, I didn't notice any true processing speed increase. Maybe, and I mean maybe, there was just a little increase in the z140bh, but it was nothing that was clearly discernible.

Second, the sound quality didn't change. I got the same ranges and depth from both headunits, although the vocals on both units regarding AM sports talk radio leaves something to be desire. You have to really fumble with the EQ to get it right, but both units do at least allow come tinkering.

Third, there's no viable difference in the look of either unit. You can put them both together and you will not see a difference in hardware or screen presentation.

Fourth, maybe, and I mean maybe, the touchscreen on the z140bh was a bit more responsive. But again, if it is, it is nothing that clearly stands out.

Fifth, the z140bh shows a bit of love toward Android phones by allowing Pandora and Aha to be compatible, but if you are not into these apps (as I discovered I was not), then why bother?

Sixth, they do add Advance App Mode built into the z140bh, but unless you have an Iphone (no Android compatibility), you will not be able to use it. And even if you can, the apps they allow, due to liability reasons, are so boring and mundane that even Iphone users won't get much from it.

But the kicker, the one reason for why the z130bt is better than its predecessor in the z140bh, is this...for some strange, incredibly stupid reason, Pioneer removed the voice command component that allows for driving directions input and points of interest location!!! HUH? One of the best features of the z130bt is NOT found in the z140bh? If you're like me, and you like to find the "nearest so and so" by using voice command, or getting your navigation directions on the move and handsfree (after the bypass), DO NOT BUY THE Z140BH. I repeat, they took that feature out. I called Pioneer three times to ask why, and even the customer service reps were amiss as to why. Online sites that support the Avic line suggest there was a licensing problem and they legally had to remove the feature. Kenwood did the same thing with their new nav headunits. So ok, fine, but regardless, Pioneer is producing an inferior product and dressing it us as an upgrade, so that sucks.

To confirm my conclusion that the z140bh is inferior to the z130bt, I noticed that the prices for the z140bh dropped like a deadweight. Even now, the z130bt is either the same price, or higher than the z140bh, a sure sign the z140bh is flopping.

After facing a 12% restock fee (gotta watch those things) and over a $100 loss, I finally unloaded the z140bh on some sucker on Craigslist (sorry), but I still took a $$$ lost. Well, at least I'm happy with z130bt, which I removed from my 2nd car and put into my new car (the 2nd car didn't need such a fine headunit anyway). Pioneer dropped the soap on this one, and for you z130bt owners, do NOT get the hardware upgrade this summer, they may remove your voice command feature. Just my 2cents.

Hope my review helps.

***************UPDATE****************

I want to clarify something...I never mentioned that the z140 is a bad unit. If I did, then I need to restate that. The z140 is a very quality head unit, and it will serve many of you effectively. My review was in written in relation to the z130bt, which it is not superior to. If I was simply reviewing the z140, without knowledge of the z130, then I would probably give the z140 3.5 or 4 stars. But within the context of the z140 versus its predecessor, the z130, 2 stars is appropriate.

Also, some of your are not reading my review carefully. I never said the z140 cannot do voice commands...for media. It can. But it cannot do voice commands for navigation. Yes, it will give you turn by turn in voice feedback, but you cannot issue the head unit your verbal commands for directions like you could with the z130bt.

Why is this such a big deal to me? Because Pioneer, in their greed to soak the consumer on a flawed product, billed the z140 as an improvement over the z130, which it clearly is not. This is why, on average, the older z130 outsells and cost more than the newer z140.

Pioneer should be ashamed of itself for its poor design choices.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally satisfied by not thrilled, June 14, 2012
This is indeed a nice unit. It does what you would expect and seems to work well. The user interface is pleasing to look at and much nicer than many others I have seen. I like the AppRadio feature and that is probably why I bought this.

It is tough to review (and shop to buy) these units as most people don't have hands-on experience with multiple different kinds of units. I generally expected that this unit, along with most others from other manufacturers, would have some stupid little things with the user experience. Every car radio I've bought over the last 10 or 15 years seems to make me say "why the heck did they do this???" So when buying a unit, my goal was to find one that had the LEAST number of these strange design features.

These little nagging issues include stuff like showing "preset 1" and "preset 2" instead of the radio station numbers -- or letting you program a name for a station. I simply can't understand why Pioneer doesn't show the numbers for the station on the button where you change channels. There is ample room for this to be there. From what I've read, previous versions did show more info but for some reason they've removed this in this new unit.

Another nagging issue is that they don't make it easy to understand where a POI in the map is when you are searching for something! I know other units can show north/south/east/west arrows next to the entries but not this unit (I can understand there are some tricky things about doing that though). But they don't even show you the street number on the entries! So if you search, say, for a Starbucks -- and there are many results, you have no easy way to figure out which is most convenient! I really don't know why they don't have search results come up plotted on a map, like what you get if you search for something online. Then they could let you click on an icon to see more details about the result.

And that is another thing that bothers me. While you can choose to have certain icons show up on your map for things like gas stations, you can't click on them with your finger to find out more information about the location, or to choose it as your destination!

It would be nice if it had a simple + and - button come up on the map on the first touch so you could zoom. But there is one extra click to get to that in this unit.

Overall, I'd say that the GPS/NAV is about 50% as useful as it could be due to user interface stuff like this.

Then there is this "MusicSphere" feature and software they promote which as far as I'm concerned is just a waste of space, cluttering up your iPod or iPhone with 25 to 30 playlists they create for you to make the feature work. Don't bother with it. Just use your own playlists.

One more nag before I wrap up. Unfortunately, you have to connect your iPhone to the unit by wire to get use of most of the functionality. You can stream audio from your iPhone using bluetooth to the unit if you want but the functionality isn't was robust as what you get by connecting the cable. I get the impression from reading up on it that Android units may have more functionality available by bluetooth connection but I'm not positive about that.

There are many, many little things that bug me like this about this unit. I know it must sound like I'm a terribly negative person based on this review. That's just the frustration in me coming through though when something so close to being good/great ends up as mediocre. This is probably better than most other nav units out there but maybe just by a little bit. To be fair, I am almost sure that there would be as many or more nagging issues on other brands of units and I do feel pretty confident that this has one of the shorter lists of things that "nag" me like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 14, 2013
I'm quite impressed with this unit. The features and Android compatibility are wonderful. There are flaws however, it's USB support is lacking... When a FAT32 formatted USB hard drive is used, it has great difficulty recognizing a large part of the folders and files. When a USB flash drive is used the access and seek times are incredibly slow. There are also issues with some bluetooth features and the units ability to remain paired to my HTC EVO phone. Hopefully a firmware update will be available to fix these issues. Otherwise it's an excellent receiver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best HU I have had, May 19, 2013
I have had at least 6 NAV HU's in the past 5 years. I change cars often. I have mostly used Kenwood HU's recently as I had read some of the AVIC's were slow. I gave this model a try for my newest car and I have been pleasantly surprised. My Kenwood would take about a minute or 2 to even start. This unit takes about 15 seconds before music starts playing and about 30 seconds to fully boot.

This HU is full featured but the menus are less than intuitive. Getting the AUX 2 port to work was far more difficult than it needed to be. The GPS is solid and I like the new voice stuff as it does not sound as mechanical. The Voice command mode should allow navigation input, but does not as the earlier model did. The voice system itself is one of the best I have used. Far better than Sync. My only complaint is after you enter a voice command it takes 15 seconds for it to stop listening. Would be nice if you could say "end" and then have it stop listening but that is only a minor annoyance.

The other minor annoyance is the fan. If sitting in the car with the motor off and the HU on, you hear the fan running. Seems the fan runs all the time.

Sound quality is excellent. There is a lot of control in this unit but finding it all takes patience.

I have used the NAV on several long trips. It works well. The multiple route colors can get confusing but I'm sure if you read the manual it explains them all. I need to try things on my own to understand them so I rarely read the manual unless I'm really stuck.

For the features you get and the price (since the 2013 version is out) make this a no brianer for me. Price has crept up a bit since I purchased.

Overall excellent unit with some minor annoyances. None of them are deal breakers for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, June 24, 2013
If you are looking for a GPS/receiver unit that parallels a Garmin or perhaps a very recent OEM unit don't bother. You will be sorely disappointed. Kenwood is the only one that comes close, as they actually have an agreement with Garmin. If you've never used a GPS (????) then this might be new and wondrous to you. Shocking.

I've tried Pioneer and even Alpine. Bottom line: their user-interface team s&cks. Or more likely is non-existent. They must hire the reject developers from Garmin or Apple. I'm not sure the designers even used one of the aforementioned devices. They must be living under a rock. Yet s&ckers like me optimistically read the "rave" reviews and dismiss the stinkers.

The interfaces and technology are SIGNIFICANTLY behind the state of the art. As more new cars (and used cars as time goes on) come standard with blue tooth, hd, satellite, and GPS fully integrated into the vehicle, these companies will soon be scrambling to find new markets. As handheld GPS and smartphone get ever increasingly smarter, you'll be kicking yourself for not just spending your $$$ on that, and by a nice, standard head unit for a lot less $$$.

In fact the menus for Alpine and Pioneer are so similarly stinky, that they must have been written by the same developer-reject. If you are the person or person(s) responsible for these (and about the past 4-5 similar model lines) please stand-up. I'm sending a big raspberry your way. Shame on you and your company for passing off the useless devices on consumers. Look up iPod, look up Garmin on Wikipedia. Earn your salary and try to come up with something a little similar without copying.

Why useless:

-screen - 7" but usually devoid of data, especially in 3D mode.

-interface - same basically since Z120 which s&cked then and still s*cks. Get with the program

-eco score/eco graph - useless. Who cares? Pioneer Spend time fixing other BIG issues.

-POI, map data - notoriously out of data, with no means for easy, cheap update. Hear of "lifetime map updates". You will not find that on these devices. That "new" bridge they put up 3 years ago. Probably not on your device! Navigating POIs is frustratingly cumbersome at best, usually just useless. Live in a tri-state area? Looking for a Home Depot in MA, but you live 2 miles away in RI. Better remember to change the state your searching!!! How about just giving me all the ones in my area ordered by distance regardless of state? How hard is that to program!

-Routing and navigation - horrible, often gives more useless information than needed. Multiple routes? Do you need to know the 8 different routes to get to the nearest Walgreens? How about shortest, fastest, and detour me when there's traffic?

-iPod - just as s*cky as every other one out there. I know they cannot copy Apple, but come on, try something.

-All the menus and display, like I said before WASTE the 7" screen. There's a lot of information that could be displayed in any mode, that is not (except Video/DVD). Why not just have a 3" screen, that's about the extent of the useful information.

-I owned the Z120, made a mistake then. Big mistake. And I knew it. But I kept it thinking, "there will be an update" and it was in a older truck, and the BT worked OK, so I kept it.

-Gave them one more try with the Z140, nope! I returned the Z140, as it was actually a lateral or even backwards step. You could essentially turn a Z120 into a Z130 with firmware/software update. I never tried though. This Z140 POS went right back. I tried and Alpine IVE-W535HD. Event stupider. MORE $$$$ for the same garbage.

So my Garmin 3590 fits the bill until my next vehicle. Heck, it even interfaces with by car's ODBII connection via BT (with adapter) and gives me nice, real time engine info if I want to "eco drive"

Some will pooh-pooh this review, no doubt. Die-hard Pioneer fans or some such nonsense. But there are many that have been there, done that, and know exactly what I'm talking about.

Do yourself a favor. Save your $$$ and your precious time. Don't waste it on this garbage.

4.0 out of 5 stars If only it worked with IPHONE 5!!, April 30, 2013
I read all the reviews good and bad.Originally I had the pioneer avic z1 the 2006 model.It was definitely time for an upgrade.So of course my choices were this model or the AVIC Z150! For the price I chose the AVIC Z140..At 600$$ you get mapping bluetooth (voice calls and audio stream) A better sound deck with sub controls and a decent EQ to tune your sounds. The screen is very responsive to touch compared to my older Pioneer Deck. I like the fact that it has SD CARD SLOT for music pics and movies. However I'm very sad that Pioneer has not updated the software and created a Cable that will ALLOW IPHONE 5 TO STREAM VIDEO. USE IPHONE APPS. AND HAVE PANDORA CONTROLS WITH ALBUM ARE DISPLAYED ON THE SCREEN. OVERALL I gave the deck a 4 STAR because the IPHONE 5 COMPATIBILITY. At the price I paid you still couldnt go wrong with a purchase on the avic z140!! Go for it! Buy it or pay another 3 4 hundred dollars for the avic z150 that will be outdated by next year lol..AFTER ALL its very hard to keep up with cost wise with the electronic world since new products and upgrades come out every year!

p.s one thing that irritates me is the fact that you can't voice control destinations when mapping! Come on Pioneer why you would take that feature away from your newer models..

4.0 out of 5 stars How to fix the SDHD media "random track ordering", October 18, 2012
This is a great product - I replaced the nasty, unusable GM navi in my car with this Pioneer and love it.

But there's a problem that needs solving: fill up an SDHD card, plug it in and play the music on the card. It sounds great, but the tracks of an album are in seemingly random order. There's no "sort" capability at all. A quick call to an extremely helpful yet completely bogus Pioneer techie sent me off redoing the MP3 tags on 18.5 GBs of files, which made no difference at all.

I searched the Internet for a solution but could not find anything specific to this unit. Eventually I discovered that many Navigation units have the same problem: they play the tracks in the physical order on the SDHD file system, believe it or not.

The answer is to create your set of music on your PC (folder per artist/folder per album/music files) so that each track title is orderable by its filename in the album. The easiest way to do this is to start the name with the track number (e.g. Beethoven\Symphony 3\01 Allegro con brio.mp3 - you get the idea). I say "PC" because I don't know exactly how to solve this except on a PC, but you should be able to figure this out if the problem occurs on a Mac or Linux.

Get your SDHD card accessible from your PC - there are various readers available for this that use a USB port. Do NOT copy the music files using "copy/paste" - Windows randomly copies the files across, messing up the physical ordering in the card. Starting with an empty SDHD card, use a CMD window and copy the entire set of folders with XCOPY (e.g. "xcopy c:\mymusic\*.* e:\ /S". It will take a while, but the files are copied in folder/filename order - which is exactly what you need. Now the track ordering is perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Factory repairs, December 24, 2013
My unit went dark after approximately 18 months. Since it was past the 1 year period it was sent to the factory. At this point its been out for repair for 3 months allegedly for back order parts. Be smart don't buy this unit. I'm at the point of giving up and getting something else. I paid for an additional 4 year warranty at Car Toys, which it turns out is useless after the 1 year manufacturers warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 23, 2013
Best radio out there. Lots of research went into this purchase. Best overall. 2007 suburban. Override installed. Back up camera. No problems. Installed myself.

Rate and Discover Movies